The Student Room Group

What do you like best - pure or applied?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThatPerson
But if you think about it, isn't maths applied philosophy?

no.
Original post by ben-smith
no.

But concepts such as Infinity and Zero are also philosophical. Maths itself is an abstraction: we define 5 as 5 of something, but equally any symbol could represent 5, etc.
Reply 22
Original post by oh_1993
When I say pure maths I mean proper pure maths e.g. number theory, not core maths 1-4 a level stuff (with the exception of possibly proof by induction).

I personally like applied maths way more because it seems more creative and you can see how it can be used.

What do you think?

It would be better to add a poll to this thread.
Reply 23
But concepts such as Infinity and Zero are also philosophical. Maths itself is an abstraction: we define 5 as 5 of something, but equally any symbol could represent 5, etc.

except for a 2. Because that represents 2.
Reply 24
Original post by oh_1993
number theory, analysis, geometry, proofs and logic? that is what I thought pure maths was. maybe I missed a few things. and am I correct in thinking that calculus is completely applied maths except for studying it through analysis?

There's no absolute distinction. There are clues.

For instance, if a textbook or lecture starts with "let X bet a set..." there's a good chance that it is a textbook or lecture on pure mathematics. Also pure mathematics tends to contain more words and definitions and applied mathematics tends to contain more numbers and equations.

Of course that's not universally true, for example analytic number theory is pure mathematics but consists of many estimates.

But in any case I think the fact that you can write a page of words and paragraphs, with almost no equations, and it still be mathematics has the potential to befuddle A-level students. Sometimes people say something like "that's not maths, it's logic", but it is very much mathematics and should be called as such. By that I mean, it has as much right to be called "mathematics" as anything else!

Pure mathematics tends to be organised (not separated) according to the two pillars of algebra and analysis. There is sort of a third wheel called "topology". Then there is geometry and number theory, the two topics that can perhaps be understood at a rudimentary level. Number theory might be considered as the application of algebra, analysis, and topology (and other mathematics) to "elementary number theory". Geometry is the application of algebra, analysis, and topology (and other mathematics) to situations where geometric/physical intuition holds some sway and is of some interest. Finally there is the "rising bin" of combinatorics. It's "rising" because it's getting more important all the time, and it's a "bin" because lots of other stuff that doesn't fit into anywhere else goes into it.
(edited 12 years ago)

They may or may not also have philosophical interest but that need not have anything to do with what the mathematicians do.
Reply 26

Subtract the total amount of money that mathematicians have to spend on philosophy textbooks, from the total amount of money that physicists have to spend on mathematics textbooks, and you get the total amount of money that physicists have to spend on mathematics textbooks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Raiden10
Subtract the total amount of money that mathematicians have to spend on philosophy textbooks, from the total amount of money that physicists have to spend on mathematics textbooks, and you get the total amount of money that physicists have to spend on mathematics textbooks.

Or better yet, divide the amount Physicists spend on Mathematics texbooks by the amount Mathematicians spend on Philosophy texbooks and you get an a problem!
Reply 28
Pure all the way. **** being creative, I just want to pass the exam!
Reply 29
Original post by raheem94
It would be better to add a poll to this thread.

done
tbh, I don't think making a massive deal over the division between applied maths and pure maths is a particularly useful/interesting thing to do. For a start, it's something that is subject to change over time (think about imaginary numbers when they were invented. The name itself tells you how abstract a notion they were going for yet nowdays they have awesome applications in theoretical physics). Who cares whether one is applied or pure? just look at the badass stuff you can do when you put them together like topological QFTs :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by oh_1993
done

A poll differentiating between applied units such as mechanics, statistics and decision would have been better.

I voted pure, if mechanics would have been there then i would have voted for it.
Reply 32
Pure.

Out of interest, what is calculus classed as?
Original post by james22
Pure.

Out of interest, what is calculus classed as?

Calculus is applied - It was primarily invented under the motivation to study motion. Although the more recent area of maths known as Analysis studies the same concepts as calculus as a pure branch.
Original post by KyraBloke
Or better yet, divide the amount Physicists spend on Mathematics texbooks by the amount Mathematicians spend on Philosophy texbooks and you get an a problem!

I have a couple of Philosophy books so that is slightly less of a problem :biggrin:

After all, as with anything, Philosophy is a branch of Mathematics

Interesting comment to neg lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by FireGarden
Calculus is applied - It was primarily invented under the motivation to study motion. Although the more recent area of maths known as Analysis studies the same concepts as calculus as a pure branch.

When Calculus was invented mathematics as we abstractly know it today did not exist. Apart from Pierre de Fermat's treatises on elementary number theory (mostly Diophantine problems), mathematics and mathematical physics were largely the same subject. Maths = arithmetic + physics + probability, if you will. Calculus was expressed in terms of physical space and matter, as was the vast majority of other mathematics of the day that I am aware of. If you had tried to explain it any other way you would have got a quizzical look.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36

No.

Would you describe that as pure or applied mathematics?
Reply 38
There's no absolute distinction. There are clues.

For instance, if a textbook or lecture starts with "let X bet a set..." there's a good chance that it is a textbook or lecture on pure mathematics. Also pure mathematics tends to contain more words and definitions and applied mathematics tends to contain more numbers and equations.

Of course that's not universally true, for example analytic number theory is pure mathematics but consists of many estimates.

But in any case I think the fact that you can write a page of words and paragraphs, with almost no equations, and it still be mathematics has the potential to befuddle A-level students. Sometimes people say something like "that's not maths, it's logic", but it is very much mathematics and should be called as such. By that I mean, it has as much right to be called "mathematics" as anything else!

Pure mathematics tends to be organised (not separated) according to the two pillars of algebra and analysis. There is sort of a third wheel called "topology". Then there is geometry and number theory, the two topics that can perhaps be understood at a rudimentary level. Number theory might be considered as the application of algebra, analysis, and topology (and other mathematics) to "elementary number theory". Geometry is the application of algebra, analysis, and topology (and other mathematics) to situations where geometric/physical intuition holds some sway and is of some interest. Finally there is the "rising bin" of combinatorics. It's "rising" because it's getting more important all the time, and it's a "bin" because lots of other stuff that doesn't fit into anywhere else goes into it.

I'm sure Combinatorics doesn't count as a branch of Maths because Maths is interesting and Combinatorics is really boring.
Reply 39
c1 for the win

Quick Reply

Latest