The Student Room Group

What is my Body Fat %

Fully Relaxed
Untitled 0 00 18-05.jpg

Not Relaxed
Untitled 0 00 10-01.jpg

Legs
Untitled 0 00 08-24.jpg

Basically, I read that 7-8% fat will give that really lean tight skin look and that's what I want. Considering I'm an ectomorph, I don't think I'm as lean as I should be.

I'm using a bodyfat calculator that just goes on height/weight/neck/waist measurements to track progress but I don't really trust the number. I just use it to see things going in the right direction.

The thing that tricks me is that in good lighting I feel super lean. Then some lighting I look average (the lighting in the pics is normal, just picked a random place).

So yeah, what is the best thing for me to do to get to 7-8%, or at least have that lean appearance?

EDIT (another pic)

Outdoor Lighting Instead of Indoors:
Untitled (1) 0 00 10-23 (2).jpg

I feel that I look leaner here than my other pics. The other pics I took were in modest lighting. This is just outside instead of indoors, nothin fancy.

I feel that the lighting makes a big difference. Even a genuine 8% guy would look flat from some angles. Or am I just over thinking everything?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Er, 15%?

Best thing for you to do to get to 7-8% is continue to cut..
Reply 2
Original post by AjCorbell
Er, 15%?

Okay, thanks.
Reply 3
Original post by The_1
lol so do you think I'm 15% like the guy above?

I reckon closer to maybe 13%...you're in good shape. If anything I would just keep about the same % and try and get some more muscle mass. Obviously you don't want to bulk with summer coming up. I also think 7-8% is quite low for a natty, it just eats at your muscle and strength at that low, you will look great with more muscle mass and stopping around 10-12%.
Reply 4
Original post by McHumpy92
I reckon closer to maybe 13%...you're in good shape. If anything I would just keep about the same % and try and get some more muscle mass. Obviously you don't want to bulk with summer coming up. I also think 7-8% is quite low for a natty, it just eats at your muscle and strength at that low, you will look great with more muscle mass and stopping around 10-12%.

Alright, thanks :smile:

Are you recommending the usual stuff for gaining: bench, deadlifts, squats etc?
Reply 5
Bodyfat calculator are bull****. You're no where near 7%. A quick google search has this guy at 7.3% so you're way above that. I'd say you should definitely bulk, and then worry about getting lean once you've got some decent mass.

why don't you post your pics in the bodybuilding.com forum. You probably would get a better estimate from there than on here
Reply 7
Original post by Arcanine
Bodyfat calculator are bull****. You're no where near 7%. A quick google search has this guy at 7.3% so you're way above that. I'd say you should definitely bulk, and then worry about getting lean once you've got some decent mass.

Okay. I'll change my plans probably.

I didn't say I was 7-8%; I said that I read 7-8% is when you look really lean and that's what I wanted to aim for...

Also, that guy appears to be in good lighting.
Reply 8
Original post by Chrisateen
why don't you post your pics in the bodybuilding.com forum. You probably would get a better estimate from there than on here

Yeah I might, but I'm not really into bodybuilding. I'm trying to increase my strengh:weight ratio.
Original post by The_1
Fully Relaxed
Untitled 0 00 18-05.jpg

Not Relaxed
Untitled 0 00 10-01.jpg

Legs
Untitled 0 00 08-24.jpg

Basically, I read that 7-8% fat will give that really lean tight skin look and that's what I want. Considering I'm an ectomorph, I don't think I'm as lean as I should be.

I'm using a bodyfat calculator that just goes on height/weight/neck/waist measurements to track progress but I don't really trust the number. I just use it to see things going in the right direction.

The thing that tricks me is that in good lighting I feel super lean. Then some lighting I look average (the lighting in the pics is normal, just picked a random place).

Is this normal or does it just mean I need to go lower to look lean in any light? I was thinking it might mean I need to get bigger in general too?

So yeah, what is the best thing for me to do to get to 7-8%, or at least have that lean appearance?

You look about 12.5%, maybe a bit more. Get more muscle on you (I'm guessing you don't even bench 2 plates yet), then cut.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by The_1
Yeah I might, but I'm not really into bodybuilding. I'm trying to increase my strengh:weight ratio.

You don't have to really be into bodybuilding to post but at least you can have an idea of what bodyfat you are. I do agree with sil3nt_cha0s a bulk will do you good as you look quite slim already and cutting even more is not going to get you anywhere
Reply 11
what she said
Reply 12
your around 10% because theres clear definition on your abs, no way are you 15
Original post by Arcanine

Think you're a bit confused. OP could be 7% (he's not) but he doesn't look like the guy you've posted since as you pointed out, has very little mass..

For example..

10-percent-body-fat-male-pictures1.jpg
Reply 14
you are not 15! i'd say your around 12% and i really dont think you should cut anymore.

IMO you should bulk for atleast 3 more months first cos it dont look like youve got much fat
Reply 15
I would guess about 12 or 13 %
body fat callipers would be more accurate
Reply 16
I'll stick with my 15% estimate, maybe 13% or so but can't exactly be sure.

Either way I'd bulk
Reply 17
Original post by cowsforsale
Think you're a bit confused. OP could be 7% (he's not) but he doesn't look like the guy you've posted since as you pointed out, has very little mass..

For example..

That's what I thought might be the problem too. My abs are visible but my skin is kinda loose, so I need to bulk in general and then cut down to be lean and have that tight skin appearance?
Reply 18
Original post by cowsforsale

For example..

Yeah I read that the OP thought he was 7%, my bad. But my part about him needing to bulk still stands.
Original post by AjCorbell
Er, 15%?

15?! the ****?

He's 10% tops
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest