The Student Room Group

A* at A2

Quick question - is it possible to obtain an A* at A2 whilst only gaining a B overall at AS?

EDIT: WHY THE HELL HAVE I BEEN NEGGED FOR THIS!!! ITS A QUESTION!!!!!!!
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by tsveta
Quick question - is it possible to obtain an A* at A2 whilst only gaining a B overall at AS?

Yes - in fact it's possible to get an A* at A2 even if you got a C at AS.

Your final grade must average atleast 80% with 90% from your A2 exams.

e.g. say your exams are out of 100UMS in AS and 100UMS in A2 = 200UMS in your entire A level

AS 60/100 = C
if in A2 you get 100/100 = A

add them together = 160/200 = 80% overall
+
Take into account that you managed 90% or better in A2 = A* OVR

So it is possible with a B grade to get an A*, but it won't be easy.
(edited 11 years ago)
is it 90% on EACH A2 unit or 90% on A2 units overall?
Reply 3
Original post by louisjevans

Overall, i.e. at least 180/200 on the A2 units for 4 unit A levels or 270/300 for 6 unit A levels. If you look there is a sticky thread all about this that goes into painful and repetitive detail.
Reply 4

each unit :smile:
It's just as much work to get an A* with the lowest B as it is the highest A at AS.

70/100 means you need 90% anyway at A2 to get 80% overall, the 90% gets you the A*.
Even with 100/100 at AS, you still need 90%. As someone demonstrated above, it' still possible with a C.

The only difference in difficulty will be the jump in skill, not that an A* is harder to technically get with a B, as someone said above.
Original post by anniema
each unit :smile:

Why comment when you're wrong? Seriously. You could be the difference between someone pushing for an A* and someone giving up and just settling for an A, all because you don't have a clue what you're talking about. :s-smilie:
Original post by Data
Overall, i.e. at least 180/200 on the A2 units for 4 unit A levels or 270/300 for 6 unit A levels. If you look there is a sticky thread all about this that goes into painful and repetitive detail.

So... in maths for example, you can get 85% in c3 and 96% in c4 and still get A* if you have 80% overall in the whole a level
Reply 8
So... in maths for example, you can get 85% in c3 and 96% in c4 and still get A* if you have 80% overall in the whole a level

Yes.
Original post by Data
Yes.

Oh goody :smile:
Original post by Data
Yes.

are you sure about this because our maths teacher said we had to get above 90% in both A2 papers (C3 and C4).
also there was a boy last year in our school who scored 2nd highest in the whole class but still got an 'A' whereas quite a few others got an 'A*'
Guys. How hard can this be? This kind of thread has come up all the sodding time on TSR.

You need to average 90% on your A2 modules and you need to get an A for the overall A Level.
So you need for your complete A level to have 80% of marks.
And your A2 modules must average out at 90%.
(With Maths, it's only C3 and C4 which must average out at 90%. Otherwise, I'd just need 76 UMS for an A* in C4)

This isn't hard.
Reply 12
Jesus Christ, just read the sticky ffs.
Well, my brother got an A* in History 2 years ago, whilst he got a C at AS, so yes, it is possible :smile: and he worked really hard for it! :biggrin:
Original post by AverageExcellence
no, you must have an at least 80% for AS (A grade) + 90% at A2. So in short no you cant unless u do retakes

Not true.

I got a B in AS Biology and an A* at A2 with zero retakes.

You need an A as your overall grade - as long as your A2 grades are 90% plus combined and this is enough to bring your UMS up to an A, then you will get an A*.
Reply 15
Original post by Alexandra's Box
Sorry if this is stupid, but how about the other way round? Could you get an A or A* overall with an A at AS and B at A2?

No, A* is 90% of overall A2, whilst meeting conditions of an A which is 80% overall.
Original post by gymrat
No, A* is 90% of overall A2, whilst meeting conditions of an A which is 80% overall.

Oh I get it now! Sorry for the question and thanks :tongue:
Reply 17
Original post by AverageExcellence
no, you must have an at least 80% for AS (A grade) + 90% at A2. So in short no you cant unless u do retakes

AverageKnob
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by HeyyImRyan
Why comment when you're wrong? Seriously. You could be the difference between someone pushing for an A* and someone giving up and just settling for an A, all because you don't have a clue what you're talking about. :s-smilie:

Sorry- I thought I was right.
Original post by 99llewellyn99
are you sure about this because our maths teacher said we had to get above 90% in both A2 papers (C3 and C4).
also there was a boy last year in our school who scored 2nd highest in the whole class but still got an 'A' whereas quite a few others got an 'A*'

Its both papers.

Quick Reply

Latest