The Student Room Group

Leeds 2013 Medical School Applicants

Please note that the information in this post may be out-of-date. Please check all information before applying/basing decisions on this.

Apparent scoring is as follows to select for interviews

/16 for your academics. last year no one really knew how exactly they ranked your academics but apparently GCSE's and predicted grades seem to be important. You get +2 for achieved grades. (so max you can get without is 14/16)
/6 for your reference.
/ 24 for your personal statement split up into
/6 Insight and Motivation
/6 Responsibility
/6 Social Awareness
/6 Extra Curricular achievement.

There is also a bonus point available for a 700+ UKCAT average.
Last year you needed 39 on this system for an interview.

Places for 2011: 223 (UK) 20 (International)
Applications: 3664
Number interviewed: 600
Applicants per place: 13
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Tan Theta
I'm definitely applying, holds a nice social capacity and is great.

Apparent scoring is as follows to select for interviews

/16 for your academics. last year no one really knew how exactly they ranked your academics but apparently GCSE's and predicted grades seem to be important. You get +2 for achieved grades. (so max you can get without is 14/16)
/6 for your reference.
/ 24 for your personal statement split up into
/6 Insight and Motivation
/6 Responsibility
/6 Social Awareness
/6 Extra Curricular achievement.

Places for 2011: 223 (UK) 20 (International)
Applications: 2800
Number interviewed: 600
Applicants per place: 13

Isn't it a bit early to start a thread for 2013 entry? The applications won't be submitted for another 6 months yet! Lol, it's good too see some enthusiasm, I wish I was so keen! :smile:

I hate to burst your bubble, but I don't think your stats are correct. The admissions tutors told us directly in the first week that they received 3,664 applications for 2011 entry. For 2012 entry, it rose to nearly 4,000. That makes it roughly 16-18 students per place, although we will have to wait until later this year before hearing anything about the competition.

I don't intend to put anyone off - Leeds is an amazing city with a great university and a fantastic medical school that you will grow to love very quickly. I can't imagine spending 5 years anywhere else, because Leeds is such a lovely place to be. Despite all the competition, it really is worth applying if you want to enjoy yourself as well as study Medicine.

Good Luck to you all for your A-Levels and future applications. :biggrin:
Reply 2
Get ready for a long ass wait and headbanging on the walls while intermittently swearing and cursing at yourself for applying to leeds, but then checking UCAS and noticing that it's already may 2013 and this is your last chance to get in so you have no other option but to wait for that fateful email from ann gaunt.

Get ready for that. :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by asif007
Isn't it a bit early to start a thread for 2013 entry? The applications won't be submitted for another 6 months yet! Lol, it's good too see some enthusiasm, I wish I was so keen! :smile:

I hate to burst your bubble, but I don't think your stats are correct. The admissions tutors told us directly in the first week that they received 3,664 applications for 2011 entry. For 2012 entry, it rose to nearly 4,000. That makes it roughly 16-18 students per place, although we will have to wait until later this year before hearing anything about the competition.

I don't intend to put anyone off - Leeds is an amazing city with a great university and a fantastic medical school that you will grow to love very quickly. I can't imagine spending 5 years anywhere else, because Leeds is such a lovely place to be. Despite all the competition, it really is worth applying if you want to enjoy yourself as well as study Medicine.

Good Luck to you all for your A-Levels and future applications. :biggrin:

Yep, my sources must be wrong from here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1387408 but ye its around 4000 from somewhere I've read. Really competitive but hopefully do well in UKcat and in PS.
Love the enthusiasm! I visited Leeds over Easter and loved it! I'm pretty certain I'll be applying there!

You say that they give a bonus point for a 700+ UKCAT average, do you know if they deduct any points for a lower score??? -I'm so nervous for the test! :s-smilie:
Have you feedback confirming that the system is the same as the system I posted for Last year?
You needed 39 for 2010 entry when I posted what you posted up there.
Don't know how much it may have gone up by due to them having over 4000 applicants for 2012 entry.
Ive heard about the leeds cock up, But honestly i couldnt care less. Amazing med course/ Amzing social capacity.

Im just going to put so much work into my personal statement to try and make this happen. Buzzing.
Reply 7
Original post by .eXe
Get ready for a long ass wait and headbanging on the walls while intermittently swearing and cursing at yourself for applying to leeds, but then checking UCAS and noticing that it's already may 2013 and this is your last chance to get in so you have no other option but to wait for that fateful email from ann gaunt.

Get ready for that. :tongue:

You don't complain much, do you.

You had already had 2 interviews prior to hearing from Leeds, so it was hardly your last and only option.
Reply 8
Original post by composite
You don't complain much, do you.

You had already had 2 interviews prior to hearing from Leeds, so it was hardly your last and only option.

It was quite obviously posted as a joke (hence the smiley), but grounded in reality (because this is actually what happened this year).

It has nothing to do with what I felt about Leeds, but more of a general comment on what happened.
Reply 9
Original post by Richyp22
Ive heard about the leeds cock up, But honestly i couldnt care less. Amazing med course/ Amzing social capacity.

Im just going to put so much work into my personal statement to try and make this happen. Buzzing.

Same, it's my second time applying, I'm definitely going to try my hardest to get in this time.
Reply 10
Original post by .eXe
It was quite obviously posted as a joke (hence the smiley), but grounded in reality (because this is actually what happened this year).

It has nothing to do with what I felt about Leeds, but more of a general comment on what happened.

You've been biatching about Leeds ever since they rejected you, and then you have the nerve to say it's a crap medical school (in a different thread) and you didn't want to go there in the first place. Yet you used to check UCAS everyday and post on here asking if anyone had heard. If it was that crap, you could have easily withdrawn your application or even chosen a different medical school from the 30 odd that are available. You just sound really bitter about your rejection dude, get over it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
You've been biatching about Leeds ever since they rejected you, and then you have the nerve to say it's a crap medical school (in a different thread) and you didn't want to go there in the first place. Yet you used to check UCAS everyday and post on hear asking if anyone had heard. If it was that crap, you could have easily withdrawn your application or even chosen a different medical school from the 30 odd that are available. You just sound really bitter about your rejection dude, get over it.

Listen bud, everyone was a bit peeved at Leeds for taking long, I wasn't the only one. Why are you arguing with me right now? Are you accomplishing anything? Is it giving you some sense of pride?

It's ironic that you are having a go at me for complaining about Leeds. All you are doing is complaining about what I posted.

Don't post back if you have nothing else to add.
Reply 12
Original post by .eXe
Listen bud, everyone was a bit peeved at Leeds for taking long, I wasn't the only one. Why are you arguing with me right now? Are you accomplishing anything? Is it giving you some sense of pride?

It's ironic that you are having a go at me for complaining about Leeds. All you are doing is complaining about what I posted.

Don't post back if you have nothing else to add.

I'm complaining about you posting because I'm applying to Leeds this year for 2013 and always see your posts moaning about the same thing in all the threads related to Leeds. You're just putting a downer on the next batch of people who are applying. Some universities do take longer than others, and Leeds in particular receive one of the highest number of applications so they do have ALOT more to go through.
Reply 13
I'm complaining about you posting because I'm applying to Leeds this year for 2013 and always see your posts moaning about the same thing in all the threads related to Leeds. You're just putting a downer on the next batch of people who are applying. Some universities do take longer than others, and Leeds in particular receive one of the highest number of applications so they do have ALOT more to go through.

Right so apparently I was the only person posting about Leeds taking long. Nice selective reading. And no Leeds didn't take long because of very high applications, they took long because they deleted everyone's data from their computers and took a while to get back on track. Additionally, they made offers to people and then waited for their responses before making further offers, delaying the whole process even more. Also, they changed their rules about interviewing internationals in the middle of the application cycle. Finally, they consistently lied to people on the phone and gave us misleading and often false information about what was happening.

Sure it may be a great school but their admissions dept screwed up big time this year. No amount of typing on your part will change that objective fact. Nevertheless, good luck in your app. Hope it goes better than it did for me.
Reply 14
Hi there :smile:

I've received an offer from Leeds for medicine this year so if you have any questions feel free to ask me.
Although it sounds like there's loads of competition, all i can say is if I managed to get in im sure many of you guys can :P

I'm sure anyone applying to Leeds will find there links useful :smile:

Academic Requirements: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/medicine/admissions/academic.html

Personal Qualities: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/medicine/admissions/personal.html

Advice on writing the Personal Statement for Leeds: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/medicine/admissions/docs/ps.pdf
Reply 15
Original post by yum-yum
Hi there :smile:

I've received an offer from Leeds for medicine this year so if you have any questions feel free to ask me.
Although it sounds like there's loads of competition, all i can say is if I managed to get in im sure many of you guys can :P

I'm sure anyone applying to Leeds will find there links useful :smile:

Academic Requirements: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/medicine/admissions/academic.html

Personal Qualities: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/medicine/admissions/personal.html

Advice on writing the Personal Statement for Leeds: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/medicine/admissions/docs/ps.pdf

I just read that PS help document before you posted it, and kind of know why I got rejected in my previous application. All the sentences they have said to avoid are basically what I wrote lol.
Reply 16
Original post by .eXe
Right so apparently I was the only person posting about Leeds taking long. Nice selective reading. And no Leeds didn't take long because of very high applications, they took long because they deleted everyone's data from their computers and took a while to get back on track. Additionally, they made offers to people and then waited for their responses before making further offers, delaying the whole process even more. Also, they changed their rules about interviewing internationals in the middle of the application cycle. Finally, they consistently lied to people on the phone and gave us misleading and often false information about what was happening.

Sure it may be a great school but their admissions dept screwed up big time this year. No amount of typing on your part will change that objective fact. Nevertheless, good luck in your app. Hope it goes better than it did for me.

I don't care, applying there was the best decision I've ever made :biggrin:
I loved the medical school, the university and the city, and I would say to anyone applying don't be put off by the admissions this year, I know .exe. has had problems but I can't say I had any problem whatsoever with the admissions process :smile:
Anyway you've gotten into another med school so why not just think about the positives instead of dwelling on your wait :tongue:
Reply 17
Original post by yum-yum
I don't care, applying there was the best decision I've ever made :biggrin:
I loved the medical school, the university and the city, and I would say to anyone applying don't be put off by the admissions this year, I know .exe. has had problems but I can't say I had any problem whatsoever with the admissions process :smile:
Anyway you've gotten into another med school so why not just think about the positives instead of dwelling on your wait :tongue:

I'm not dwelling on it, I was just responding to the other guy who was talking about some posts I made a few months back when I had yet to hear from Leeds. I couldn't care less right now lol I got into the school I wanted as I am sure you did :smile:
Everybody whos moaning about having to wait for leeds, Why dont you apply somewere else next year?? Thanks <3
Reply 19
I just read that PS help document before you posted it, and kind of know why I got rejected in my previous application. All the sentences they have said to avoid are basically what I wrote lol.

Well I didn't apply to Leeds last year but my personal statement back then certainly wouldn't have cut it.
If you fit many of their personal statement and personal qualities (as well as academics of course) you should have a chance.
I didn't even know they had that personal statement advice before I applied, but when i saw it later when I heard about my interview I realised I fit the criteria very well.
All the best with this years application :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending