The Student Room Group

PS... applying for two different degrees...

hi, wondering if someone can give me some helpful advice on how i would structure my personal statement...

i am really interested in doing "Psychology with Philosophy". however, only 4 universities do that, only 2 of which i like (hull, bristol, keele and oxford do it... im not oxford material by far and i didnt really click with bristol).

therefore.. the other 3 options in my uni choices would have to be just "Psychology".

in my personal statement, should i briefly talk about Philosophy? because then if i do keele and hull will be impressed with it, but the other 3 will be wondering why i added it...

thanks!

p.s id have no idea what philosophy-related stuff to put in... :P
Reply 1
You need to decide which is more important to you. If you have no philosophy stuff, you won't get a place at those unis. So if that's the course you want to aim for you need to focus on that.

But look at the module listings for the straight Psychology courses. You may be able to take optional modules in other subjects, so the Philosophy stuff might not seem that strange.
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
You need to decide which is more important to you. If you have no philosophy stuff, you won't get a place at those unis. So if that's the course you want to aim for you need to focus on that.

But look at the module listings for the straight Psychology courses. You may be able to take optional modules in other subjects, so the Philosophy stuff might not seem that strange.

hey I submitted a PS a couple of days ago in the maths, engineering etc section if you could look at it. I'm not sure if you guys check it often this time of year? But I am a late applicant and want to get it sent away by tuesday. thanks

op

you could just leave philosophy out of the PS. As it is only a minor with your degree I'd say they will be more focused on the psychology areas.
Reply 3
Original post by bestofyou
hey I submitted a PS a couple of days ago in the maths, engineering etc section if you could look at it. I'm not sure if you guys check it often this time of year? But I am a late applicant and want to get it sent away by tuesday. thanks

op

you could just leave philosophy out of the PS. As it is only a minor with your degree I'd say they will be more focused on the psychology areas.

I can't look as that's not my subject, but someone should shortly. You only posted one day ago.
I wonder if you could discuss issues where Psychology and Philosophy meet/combine?

THAT way the only Psychology unis will just think it's something else you're interested in and the Philo&Psych unis will be able to recognise your interest in both?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Juno
I can't look as that's not my subject, but someone should shortly. You only posted one day ago.

it should change to 2days in a few hours I'd say.

Ok, but do you guys still check it this time of year?
Original post by megfashion
hi, wondering if someone can give me some helpful advice on how i would structure my personal statement...

i am really interested in doing "Psychology with Philosophy". however, only 4 universities do that, only 2 of which i like (hull, bristol, keele and oxford do it... im not oxford material by far and i didnt really click with bristol).

therefore.. the other 3 options in my uni choices would have to be just "Psychology".

in my personal statement, should i briefly talk about Philosophy? because then if i do keele and hull will be impressed with it, but the other 3 will be wondering why i added it...

thanks!

p.s id have no idea what philosophy-related stuff to put in... :P

Why not email the universities and ask if they'll take a substitute personal statement? Many do. Then you can have one statement on Psychology and one on Philosophy and Psychology.
Reply 7
Original post by michael321
Why not email the universities and ask if they'll take a substitute personal statement? Many do. Then you can have one statement on Psychology and one on Philosophy and Psychology.

yes, i shall try doing that, thankyou :smile:

and to the first poster (sorry cant remember whom!), yes ive looked n there are only 4 unis available that do it. keele and hull would probably be my main options, but then again im also going to apply for a local uni which only does psychology, and (possibly) a uni near where the other half lives (i genuinely like the place, honest!) which only does psychology.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending