The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester vs Bristol

I have conditional offers from both Manchester and Bristol for Computer Science. The league tables are what confuse me - Bristol is supposed to be, tbh, quite amazing. Convince me why I should choose Manchester, besides the fact that I, quite obviously, am in love with the University of Manchester. It is kind of a mind versus heart affair - I want to choose Manchester with my head as well, just to be at peace and not regret it in the future.

ps: I guess this would be a great way for other people in my position (Manc vs XX university, for yy subject) to convince themselves as well!
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I really wouldn't rely too heavily on league tables, they're all slightly different and often seem to be based on reputation (hence the older more traditional universities almost always score much higher).

I can't comment on your course, but which course do you think is better? If you dig through the website you should be able to find exactly what modules are avaliable throughout your course, so you can compare them better. (This is basically how I chose between manchester and birmingham!)

If you're in love with the place, then surely it's a sign you'd be happier at manchester? That's what I'm hoping for me anyway :P
If all else fails, make a list of everything that matters to you about the universities, and rate each one then compare them. It helped me, anyway!

Why the neg? I haven't exactly offended anyone.
(edited 12 years ago)
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by aankhi
I have conditional offers from both Manchester and Bristol for Computer Science. The league tables are what confuse me - Bristol is supposed to be, tbh, quite amazing. Convince me why I should choose Manchester, besides the fact that I, quite obviously, am in love with the University of Manchester. It is kind of a mind versus heart affair - I want to choose Manchester with my head as well, just to be at peace and not regret it in the future.

ps: I guess this would be a great way for other people in my position (Manc vs XX university, for yy subject) to convince themselves as well!

firmly agree with the above post, pay no attention to league tables, they're rubbish! Bristol probably edges Manchester in terms of reputation, but at the end of the day, employers go mad for either uni, so I don't think that should affect your decision. It's better to see which CompSci department you like more in terms of quality, module options etc.

In terms of environment, both places are fantastic in my opinion! Bristol's a great town with loads to offer for bars, clubs etc, as is Manc obviously.

So in conclusion, I haven't really helped you out:tongue:, and I'll be in the same dilemma as you should Bristol give me an offer! :biggrin:
Go with what makes you happiest.
I turned down King's College London for Manchester because I know I'll have an amazing time there and graduate with a degree from a fantastic university.
At the end of the day, neither Manchester or Bristol are Oxbridge, they're both Russell Group, both are Red-brick etc. so there's not much in it.
Cheesy as it sounds "follow your heart".
Reply 4
Original post by Katterson
I really wouldn't rely too heavily on league tables, they're all slightly different and often seem to be based on reputation (hence the older more traditional universities almost always score much higher).

I can't comment on your course, but which course do you think is better? If you dig through the website you should be able to find exactly what modules are avaliable throughout your course, so you can compare them better. (This is basically how I chose between manchester and birmingham!)

If you're in love with the place, then surely it's a sign you'd be happier at manchester? That's what I'm hoping for me anyway :P
If all else fails, make a list of everything that matters to you about the universities, and rate each one then compare them. It helped me, anyway!

Why the neg? I haven't exactly offended anyone.

I made a list of pros and cons. The very fact that I was deliberately trying to find Bristol's cons probably says a lot about where I want to go. :smile:

Also, I gave you positive rep for the post to balance out whoever found it amusing to neg you :-/

Original post by TheOFactor
firmly agree with the above post, pay no attention to league tables, they're rubbish! Bristol probably edges Manchester in terms of reputation, but at the end of the day, employers go mad for either uni, so I don't think that should affect your decision. It's better to see which CompSci department you like more in terms of quality, module options etc.

In terms of environment, both places are fantastic in my opinion! Bristol's a great town with loads to offer for bars, clubs etc, as is Manc obviously.

So in conclusion, I haven't really helped you out:tongue:, and I'll be in the same dilemma as you should Bristol give me an offer! :biggrin:

Ha ha..my subconscious agrees with the 'league tables are rubbish' bit. I make a conscious effort to humour the league tables-should really not let that nasty epidemic (here on TSR) of swearing by league tables affect me though. Besides, it is in my hands to do well and hence get a job! :-)

Original post by Noodlepants
Go with what makes you happiest.
I turned down King's College London for Manchester because I know I'll have an amazing time there and graduate with a degree from a fantastic university.
At the end of the day, neither Manchester or Bristol are Oxbridge, they're both Russell Group, both are Red-brick etc. so there's not much in it.
Cheesy as it sounds "follow your heart".

As much as we hate to accept it, I agree-ultimately it's not Oxbridge.

If the so-called 'cheesy dialogue' is said so often, there must be some logic behind it. Hence, I guess I am choosing Manchester. Ultimately, if I'm happy, I'll do well and that's what matters. :smile:

Thank you for your responses. :smile:
Yay. MANCHESTERRRRRRRRR :biggrin:
Original post by aankhi

I made a pro and cons list to decide between Leicester and Manchester. I had so many pros for Manchester that I thought, 'Oh why am I even bothering to do this?!' :biggrin:

It seems that you've already made your decision, but I would have advised to definitely look at the modules offered (how many compulsory and how many optional), whether they interest you, how they're assessed (percentage of exams vs coursework), how they're taught... Also, have a look at the facilities and typical contact hours (you can easily email your particular school to find out).

Something that would be really useful to you is to track down students studying your subject at the universities on Facebook. Search for a 2010 Freshers group and see what subjects they were going for. Hopefully you could message a couple of them to see if they'd be able to tell you what the course and university is really like :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ellakrystina

It seems that you've already made your decision, but I would have advised to definitely look at the modules offered (how many compulsory and how many optional), whether they interest you, how they're assessed (percentage of exams vs coursework), how they're taught... Also, have a look at the facilities and typical contact hours (you can easily email your particular school to find out).

Something that would be really useful to you is to track down students studying your subject at the universities on Facebook. Search for a 2010 Freshers group and see what subjects they were going for. Hopefully you could message a couple of them to see if they'd be able to tell you what the course and university is really like :smile:

If you apply this expert-level knowledge of investigating, tracking and resourcing to your course, I'm sure you'll have no problems solving "whodunnit?" cases and exploring the motives and actions of criminal masterminds:wink:
Original post by TheOFactor
If you apply this expert-level knowledge of investigating, tracking and resourcing to your course, I'm sure you'll have no problems solving "whodunnit?" cases and exploring the motives and actions of criminal masterminds:wink:

Aha, thank you?:rolleyes:
Reply 9
Aha, thank you?:rolleyes:

sorry, didn't realise how cheesy that would sound until I read it back to myself:colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
I made a pro and cons list to decide between Leicester and Manchester. I had so many pros for Manchester that I thought, 'Oh why am I even bothering to do this?!' :biggrin:

I would really want to see that list :wink: :P

Both the universities have really good CS courses as per what I observed. So, I decided on Manchester for the city, for the awesome people I met over here (I got negged for no reason at the Bristol sub-forum!! :rolleyes:), the direct flight.....*insert more baseless reasons*...and, to sum up, because I'm sure I'll love it there! :biggrin:

I followed your advice and mailed 3 people randomly. NOW I FEEL LIKE A STALKER! :colondollar:
I have Bristol as my firm and Manchester as my insurance. :smile:

I can see why you love Manchester; it's such a lively, vibrant city. You clearly love it so firm it. :smile: Yes, Bristol is prestigious but no one is going to turn their nose up at a degree from Manchester so it's not like you're sacrificing Bristol for London Met or something.

Also, Manchester tends to do really well in the international league tables as it does huge amounts of research.
Original post by aankhi
I would really want to see that list :wink: :P

Both the universities have really good CS courses as per what I observed. So, I decided on Manchester for the city, for the awesome people I met over here (I got negged for no reason at the Bristol sub-forum!! :rolleyes:), the direct flight.....*insert more baseless reasons*...and, to sum up, because I'm sure I'll love it there! :biggrin:

I followed your advice and mailed 3 people randomly. NOW I FEEL LIKE A STALKER! :colondollar:

Ahahah, I can't wait to be able to help people choose universities next year!:h:

As someone else has said, I think Bristol does has a very slight edge on reputation (according to TSR anyway) but you have to go somewhere that you know you'll be happy.

I think my pro and con list went something like this:

Leicester:
Pro - Easy to drive to.
Con - Maybe too close to home, average course, really bad applicant day, accommodation far away from campus, old lecture halls, no information on course modules on website, oddly low offer...

Manchester:
Pro - Perfect course, within a Law School, massive city, prestige, purple, higher offer, information on course is easily accessible, Russell Group, N8 group and red brick, very near to boyfriend's uni (not essential but is always helpful!)...
Con - up to three hours drive/train journey.
Reply 13
Also Aankhi, manchester was were the computer was invented! if your doing computer sciences thats got to count hasn't it!

nightlifes very good, people from manchester are very friendly, music is world class, the uni is excellent and also, Bristol is a very hilly place manchester less so so if you dont like hills manchester its got to be.

and i'l be at manchester and i'm cool, so what more could anyone want?
Reply 14
:banana: Manchester FTW! :banana:
Reply 15
Ive got manchester as firm and Bristol as backup :L seems they attract the same students
Bristol
If you're worried about Manchester not being as highly ranked as Bristol, then don't. Manchester just don't bother worrying about doing the things that push a uni up in the UK rankings. Manchester tends to do pretty well in international rankings. The manc Wikipedia article explains it quite well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Manchester#Research_and_reputation
Reply 18
I decided to choose Bristol after all... I don't know why.
Reply 19
Too bad, QS has UoM for 5th best in the UK for Computer Science
Although not everyone believes league tables

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2011/subject-rankings/engineering/computer-science

Quick Reply

Latest