The Student Room Group

EDEXCEL Biology JUNE 2012 Pre-release article

Hi :smile: Just thought Id create a thread to discuss the June 2012 biology edexcel pre-release article. Here it is if you havent been able to get it yet. :smile:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/85595525/June-2012-Scientific-Article

Its actually shorter than I expected!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by africananimals
Hi :smile: Just thought Id create a thread to discuss the June 2012 biology edexcel pre-release article. Here it is if you havent been able to get it yet. :smile:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/85595525/June-2012-Scientific-Article

Its actually shorter than I expected!

hey ! i dont really noe how to use this article i mean can we take it to the examination room or what ?
Reply 2
Original post by iesians
hey ! i dont really noe how to use this article i mean can we take it to the examination room or what ?

You will be given a blank copy of the article when you go into the exam. It is for use with question 7 of the paper - the other questions will be on the content of Unit 5 (Run for your Life and Grey Matter).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks soo much! The school didnt give it out yet :/
Reply 4
Cheers for the link!

So what questions do you guys think will come up? Body Fat/LDL's??? Seems a lot for that one small topic :O
Reply 5
Any ideas???? Anyone?????
Reply 6
Original post by avataraang
Any ideas???? Anyone?????

Well, although it appears to be a short article, it really does cover quite a lot of the Unit 5, Unit 1 infact, ethics, anorexia, depression, CVD, sexual selection/genetics/evolution,like you say HDL's LDL's, obesity...its really quite broad so its difficult to tell. I will get back to you all once I get some sample questions. :smile:
Reply 7
Let us all post possible questions to get started. I will start: :smile:

On the last line of paragraph 52 on page 8 of the Scientific Article, there is a statement about the number of women dying because of HIV/AIDS. Explain how the disease caused by HIV has a sequence of symptoms that may result in death.

On paragraph 3 of page 1 of the article, there's a statement : "Obesity is defined as a surplus of body fat which is detrimental to health. This fat, or white adipose tissue (WAT), is located underneath the skin and around the internal organs and stores excess energy in the form of triglycerides."
Describe the structure of a typical fat molecule. Support your answer with a diagram of the fat molecule.

On paragraph 3 of page 1 of the article, there's a statement: "WAT located around the abdomen (giving rise to the ‘apple’ body shape) is considered more dangerous than fat stored around the hips and thighs as it is strongly correlated with type 2 diabetes, heart disease and certain types of cancer."
- Explain what is meant by a correlation
- Explain the difference between a correlation and causal relationship
- Explain why WAT located around the abdomens is dangerous for the heart
- Describe and explain what may lead to obesity

On paragraph 8 of page 1 of the Scientific Article, there's this statement: "Neuroscientists at Brigham Young University in Utah examined subconscious feelings about body image through fMRI analysis of the brains of healthy men and women who were assessed psychometrically as being confident with their bodies."
- Describe and explain how functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) scans can be used to investigate brain structure and function.
- There's another imaging technique called Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI).
Describe and explain how Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans can be used to investigate brain structure and function.
Compare MRI and fMRI scans.

Hope you find them useful. Use your knowledge and understanding to answer them. :smile:
Thanks for those questions.

I need to go over unit 1 BIG time. :cry2:

E: for some reason, my phone is not letting me pos rep you africananimal :colonhash:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Thankkks soo muchh! This helped aloot.

This is a synoptic article with AS & A2 !! Aggggghh
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by This Honest
Thanks for those questions.

I need to go over unit 1 BIG time. :cry2:

Yaa. We all do :/ Hows revising so far with you?
Original post by d_94
Yaa. We all do :/ Hows revising so far with you?

Well I'm doing unit 2,4 and 5 this summer :cry2:
I've revised a bit of unit 2, considerable amount of unit 4 and a lot of unit 5. Zero for unit 1 though :lol:
I'm still in the process of making notes for U5 but revision is going all right.

I really want to buy a mini whiteboard, they ate really useful. Can't find them in any shops unfortunately. :sigh:

How's your revision going? :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by This Honest
Well I'm doing unit 2,4 and 5 this summer :cry2:
I've revised a bit of unit 2, considerable amount of unit 4 and a lot of unit 5. Zero for unit 1 though :lol:
I'm still in the process of making notes for U5 but revision is going all right.

I really want to buy a mini whiteboard, they are really useful. Can't find them in any shops unfortunately. :sigh:

How's your revision going? :smile:

Im doing 4,5,6 units this year. Done with AS, even though I didn't get the mark I wanted :/ I'm revising unit 5 more than 4. God. The article really sucks this year. I heard the others were way better than ours --
Glad they are useful! Any other questions would be greatly appriciated! :smile: I think there defo will be a synoptic link with unit1,4,. How are you guys finding neurones? :smile: Weve finished brains, and returning to neurones.
Reply 14
Glad they are useful! Any other questions would be greatly appriciated! :smile: I think there defo will be a synoptic link with unit1,4,. How are you guys finding neurones? :smile: Weve finished brains, and returning to neurones.

Your questions included some of the ideas I had as to what may come up in the article, so glad to see that someone else is thinking on the same wavelength! I also thought that animal testing may crop up somewhere as a lot of the article is to do with that. They also mentioned stem cells very briefly but the examiner could easily turn that into a question about ethics, the difference between multi/toti/pluripotent stem cells and where they are found.

At the moment we're doing Topic 7 but have finished Topic 8 (Grey Matter). Topic 8 is probably my favourite unit 5 topic.
Reply 15
I don't like this pre release business, just let me do the damn exam without it!
Anyways unit 5 is probably the most interesting unit of the lot so far.
Reply 16

I'm in the end of neurones; didn't start with brains. Is it hard? I think the nervous system is hard -__- Grrr.
Original post by d_94
I'm in the end of neurones; didn't start with brains. Is it hard? I think the nervous system is hard -__- Grrr.

It's very interesting, I dont think its harder than neurones though, neurones looks difficult, should be a doddle from now on. :smile: Quite a lot of ethics.
Reply 18
It's very interesting, I dont think its harder than neurones though, neurones looks difficult, should be a doddle from now on. :smile: Quite a lot of ethics.

Thanks soo much ! (:
Am I the only person who was expecting it to be an actual article, not three separate bits which seemed to jump around??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending