The Student Room Group

IB Subjects

Hey,

I'm planning for a career in either Law or Journalism (my main university aims being Harvard/Oxford or Northwestern)

Next year, I'll be starting IB and my subject choice so far is:

HL English A1
HL Biology
HL History
SL French abnitio
SL Business and Management
SL Maths Studies

Are these fine? What should I add/change?

Help will be highly appreciated! :smile:
Reply 1
I think it's just fine, higher English and history are preferred subjects for studying those fields as they are essay based subjects and involve analytically thinking, so if you are going to change around your courses, just make sure you keep history and English at higher level.
Reply 2
Thank you! What about Maths Studies? Should I go for SL Maths or HL Maths or is normal Maths Studies just fine?
Reply 3
Sounds good to me. HL Maths is not recommended unless you want to do something mathsy at uni, so I'd steer clear of it if I were you. Stick with studies, half of the people that started doing methods (including me!) at my school dropped out because they didn't actually need to do it, and studies is easier. IB is hard enough as it is, don't create extra work for yourself :smile:
Edit: Oh, but I would recommend philosophy instead of business, just because it's awesome :biggrin: Plus it's more essay based so you might find it more useful... but that's just me, if you really want to do business then stick with it
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by XxelliexX
Sounds good to me. HL Maths is not recommended unless you want to do something mathsy at uni, so I'd steer clear of it if I were you. Stick with studies, half of the people that started doing methods (including me!) at my school dropped out because they didn't actually need to do it, and studies is easier. IB is hard enough as it is, don't create extra work for yourself :smile:
Edit: Oh, but I would recommend philosophy instead of business, just because it's awesome :biggrin: Plus it's more essay based so you might find it more useful... but that's just me, if you really want to do business then stick with it

I would love to be able to do philosophy! :redface: But our school doesn't offer it! I have the option of either Business, Chemistry or Arts in that section and I find Business to be the easiest of them as I suck at Art and Chemistry :/
Reply 5
Original post by N252
I would love to be able to do philosophy! :redface: But our school doesn't offer it! I have the option of either Business, Chemistry or Arts in that section and I find Business to be the easiest of them as I suck at Art and Chemistry :/

Oh no! :frown: that's awful... move schools, lol! Yes, I think business would be the best choice for you out of those three then :smile: Could you perhaps do it as a higher subject instead of biology? HL biology is a LOT of work, and you need to remember an awful lot, it might not be best for someone who wants to pursue a more humanities based career... but if it's the only option you've got then I guess you don't have a choice :/
Reply 6
Original post by N252
Hey,

I'm planning for a career in either Law or Journalism (my main university aims being Harvard/Oxford or Northwestern)

Next year, I'll be starting IB and my subject choice so far is:

HL English A1
HL Biology
HL History
SL French abnitio
SL Business and Management
SL Maths Studies

Are these fine? What should I add/change?

Help will be highly appreciated! :smile:

I'm not sure that Oxford will accept Maths Studies as a valid subject. But as far as the American universities are concerned the subjects you take don't really matter as long as you enjoy them and they can help you in whatever course you take. They love the IB and see it as a good extra, as long as you meet their SAT requirements you have a great chance of getting in. :smile:
If you want to study Law or Journalism, why are you planning to take Biology HL? It's a lot of work, especially with IAs...
Reply 8
English and History HL are the main requirements for law, so keep those at high level.
A friend of mine took Math Studies and went on to study law. As far as Oxford goes, they don't require you to take Math Studies nor will that be a handicap. I think you need at least 38 or 39 with 766 on HL for Oxford (at least those were my requirements for English lit). But take into account that a predicted of 39 is probably not enough since most unis take into account the fact that predicted grades are roughly 2 points higher than those which you actually achieve. Therefore, make sure that your predicted is over 40 for uni. Also, if you need to take Cambridge Admissions Tests make sure you do really well on those. I needed one point as was therefore not called in. xD
Reply 9
Original post by bdockery
I'm not sure that Oxford will accept Maths Studies as a valid subject. But as far as the American universities are concerned the subjects you take don't really matter as long as you enjoy them and they can help you in whatever course you take. They love the IB and see it as a good extra, as long as you meet their SAT requirements you have a great chance of getting in. :smile:

Oh, right.. so SATs pretty much the main thing? & why would Maths Studies not be accepted as a valid subject? :O
Reply 10
Original post by lastlullabyy
If you want to study Law or Journalism, why are you planning to take Biology HL? It's a lot of work, especially with IAs...

Because I was thinking of keeping medicine an option, but probably that won't work if I don't take chemistry. What other subject do you recommend I take as HL instead of Biology?
Reply 11
Original post by WLDL3
English and History HL are the main requirements for law, so keep those at high level.
A friend of mine took Math Studies and went on to study law. As far as Oxford goes, they don't require you to take Math Studies nor will that be a handicap. I think you need at least 38 or 39 with 766 on HL for Oxford (at least those were my requirements for English lit). But take into account that a predicted of 39 is probably not enough since most unis take into account the fact that predicted grades are roughly 2 points higher than those which you actually achieve. Therefore, make sure that your predicted is over 40 for uni. Also, if you need to take Cambridge Admissions Tests make sure you do really well on those. I needed one point as was therefore not called in. xD

Thank you so much! Do you know the Harvard Law School requirements from IB, by any chance?
Original post by N252
Because I was thinking of keeping medicine an option, but probably that won't work if I don't take chemistry. What other subject do you recommend I take as HL instead of Biology?

History HL... :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by lastlullabyy
History HL... :biggrin:

Hahaha, I'm already planning on taking that as an HL! :tongue:
Reply 14
Sounds good.
I do Biology, Chemistry, English and History at higher and then French SL/Maths studies.
Maths Studies is a godsend - keep it at studies, you wont regret it.
Biology is the most to learn out of my subjects closely followed by history. Yours look good for your course but as you have ambitious targets don't make it harder for yourself.
Original post by N252
Hahaha, I'm already planning on taking that as an HL! :tongue:

then I don't know... Psychology? Pretty interesting subject, even though I'm doing it at SL
Reply 16
Original post by N252
Thank you so much! Do you know the Harvard Law School requirements from IB, by any chance?

Ah, sorry, I'm not as good with my American unis. :P As far as I recall though, Harvard asks for a minimum of 41-42. And SATs will be extremely important. They probably also ask for some really high achievement in your HLs, too. I would suggest writing an email and asking for the exact qualifications you need?
Reply 17
Thank you all for your help!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending