The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society MKVII

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by loonyplatypus
I'm not sure exactly. I talk to him all the time so I guess he's always the first person there, and I just get so angry sometimes, probably at myself, but I direct it towards him. I don't think it's my fault exactly, I know it's an illness, but I still feel guilty and I know my self-esteem is just rubbish. He'd be better off with someone healthy and I always feel like I'm trying to catch up and be good enough. I just wish I knew how to deal with it all.

Hey, sorry to butt in on your conversation here ... just wanted to say that I completely understand how you feel! Been with my bf for 4 and a half years and having exactly the same issues as you at the moment, where my self-esteem has hit rock bottom and all my anxiety and depression seems to get taken out on him, and I completely understand the constantly feeling not good enough and stuff! I know how **** it feels, sorry I know that wasn't helpful, just wanted to say I know exactly how you feel! Hope it gets better for you soon though because I know how difficult it can be
Original post by laut_biru

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

I hope you get a better run of luck soon too..

In the mean time I'll just have to draw amusement from the chickens. Building them a new pen tomorrow, gotta pick up 500kg's of wood chips and bark from a local tree surgeon in the morning. Setting up a new area for them to dig and rummage around in :smile:

And yes superwolf if you're reading this that does mean they'll be extra tasty from all that foraging and free ranging... :wink: You still can't eat them though.
I don't really like being me very much. I feel I have this weird personality that doesn't let me make/keep close friends very easily, nor get much involved with guys either. I'm also very lazy, procrastinating, never know what I want. Whether this is a result of depression or just instilled in my crap personality, I don't really know. I really can't stand it cos I wish I could be different, somehow, in order to improve these areas in my life but I feel like I can't. And I always feel so jealous of various people who seem to have it much better than me. So frustrating :sigh:
Reply 383
Original post by fire2burn
In the mean time I'll just have to draw amusement from the chickens. Building them a new pen tomorrow, gotta pick up 500kg's of wood chips and bark from a local tree surgeon in the morning. Setting up a new area for them to dig and rummage around in :smile:

Sounds good.

We really will have to get around to stealing them.
Reply 384
What would be the best way to be referred to a psychiatrist while at uni? Should I just approach my GP and ask for a referral?
In. Anyone else feel like they're depressed but simply will never put a label on it or let anyone else know? I don't think I have depression but I read something about a depression type thing where it's one off and loads of people get it. Feel terrible when I'm on my own and have done for a pretty long while now.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Arcanine
In.

hello?
Original post by ViceVersa
hello?

Hi. I edited my post so it wasn't just in.
Reply 388
Original post by ilem
What would be the best way to be referred to a psychiatrist while at uni? Should I just approach my GP and ask for a referral?

Pretty much.
I really wish my friend Tom and me were still in touch. I understand why we drifted apart, I even don't think it was my fault, but by the gods do I wish I could talk to him right now :frown:
Hi. I edited my post so it wasn't just in.

Oh :tongue:

And I completely understand that, and did that for years tbh..
This might sound silly but I don't think I'm really coping well with being single. The crap thing about it is, the fact that I don't feel so great about myself probably means getting a partner isn't a good idea anyway until I somehow learn to sort myself out. But I think my depression partly stemmed from not having a partner in the first place. And then I probably won't find anyone anyway no matter what I do cos I'm not a great person and have all these problems. Stupid ass cycle :banghead:
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
This might sound silly but I don't think I'm really coping well with being single. The crap thing about it is, the fact that I don't feel so great about myself probably means getting a partner isn't a good idea anyway until I somehow learn to sort myself out. But I think my depression partly stemmed from not having a partner in the first place. And then I probably won't find anyone anyway no matter what I do cos I'm not a great person and have all these problems. Stupid ass cycle :banghead:

I decided a while back that just jumping into a relationship wasn't going to 'fix' me, and while it made me feel good for a while, bigger problems came up later. If you think your depression came from being single, try and angle for therapy to work on being happy single, then you can look for a partner, when you don't depend on one.
Original post by rmhumphries
I decided a while back that just jumping into a relationship wasn't going to 'fix' me, and while it made me feel good for a while, bigger problems came up later. If you think your depression came from being single, try and angle for therapy to work on being happy single, then you can look for a partner, when you don't depend on one.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking of trying to do once I do start therapy. I'm on a waiting list and don't know when I'll start though, but hopefully it's soon enough.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking of trying to do once I do start therapy. I'm on a waiting list and don't know when I'll start though, but hopefully it's soon enough.

I imagine therapy will be able to help you, until then I would advise trying not to let your feelings in regards to wanting a relationship rule you :smile:
I am writing the most clichéd email to the Samaritans. Do you ever think they get bored?

Also does anyone know if there are any anti-depressants that work really quickly?? I am very not good :frown:
Sorry for any late responses to people. Less sorry for any overtly sexual smilies. :sexface:

Original post by headunderwater
Deffo the nakey pics seeing as i missed out at the meet :frown:

:sexface: This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship... :moon:

Original post by Nut.
You must have smelled delicious. :sexface:

Believe me my smell just gets better and better. :sexface:

Original post by bullettheory
I feel so pathetic, useless, stupid, ugly, boring, fat, so on so on. I hate myself so much. I don't even know why I would deserve anything or anyone. I'm such a social **** up. Argh, god I just wish I could be a different, better person.

Bullettheory is awesome,
Bullettheory is great,
Who gets to have sex with bullettheory
Is TSR's biggest debate. :h:

Original post by ParadoxSocks
If I zopiclone available I'd totes give you some just to get hold of your sock. I choose to believe that if I ever do crack that you'd just keep sending me socks in hospital and I'd be completely silent until somebody puts it on my head or something.

Stoke-on-Trent is GLORIOUS. It is where my allotment is and where staffordshire oatcakes come from and they are the most wonderful things in the world :biggrin:

My raspberries are starting to flower. If they get to the raspberry stage then I suggest we make alcohol out of them. We can then live naked at my allotment and feast on the fruit and vegetables that I grow and our lives will be so perfect.

We need to be camping soon.

Just had a bath and exfoliated until my skin was sore as all hell. Earlier I had a boiling hot shower. At the rate I am going I will be the cleanest creature alive. Feeling a little like I'm not in my own head which is okay I guess for now but won't be so good when I realise how many things I've forgotten to do.

Trying to poke diazepam out of my doctor tomorrow and asking to try venlafaxine before they completely give up on me. FUN TIMES.

You haven't replied to my PM yet. :bawling: Unless if you just went into some kind of a depraved coma at the mention of my socks...

I will come and live at your allotment and our naked skin shall be stained red by the juice of the raspberry and brown by the heat of the sun and we shall worship each other's bodies forever in the dark dusk of your allotment shed (unless if you don't have a shed, in which case we shall build a tent or teepee).

I tried my diazepam yesterday - felt disappointingly normal, will have to try a higher dose when I actually use it for its intended purpose...

Original post by Sabertooth
I only have 5 zopiclone left so I'm afraid I won't be contributing to the fund, as much as I'd love to. I wouldn't mind some nekkid photos in exchange for something else though. :sexface:

I had several weeks between the 2mg I took and still had a little resistance the second time. But it's good you're being sensible with it :yy: I must say I'm actually quite surprised.

Good luck with the interview. It would be pretty ****ing awesome to get you as an anxiety mentor. :biggrin:

Believe me, I've thought about drugging her many a time. :moon: But I think once the effect wears off I would very much regret it. :tongue:

Obviously. :wizard: Thanks for the offer, I will probably take you up on it. I could really do with more people to reality-check on. I looked at the psychosis books and they're like £30 :eek: **** that, no matter how many points it scores me with my girlfriend.

Yes...we should meet up, and drink!

Spoiler

In exchange for what? :sexface:

Tried the 2mg, results nowt. Must try harder.

Do I have to do everything for you? :tongue: Amazon search for psychosis self-help books. One of them for <£10. Another (with cartoons :awesome:). And another. Yes, I am awesome. :cool:

Spoiler

Original post by kahinalouise
not sure what to really do anymore, my school is extremely supportive saying its my last chance, (i haven't been in sixth form for nearly 2 weeks because i'm a danger to myself) but isn't that my problem.
I have never been in trouble in school in my life, I don't understand. I know i did something stupid but it was an accident

Spoiler

I'm now in some complete mess with the school and my parents and can't see a way out of this.

:jumphug: I really hope things have sorted themselves out - if not, just remember that there's a chance to redo practically anything - if now isn't the time for you to be getting on with your studies, then you can catch up with them later. And one of the things that's important right now is that you're getting support from people who care about you, and it sounds like that is happening. :smile:

Original post by ViceVersa

Spoiler

I've no idea what you're talking about, but it sounds like something to look forward to... :biggrin:

Original post by diamonddust
Firstly... :jumphug: You're wonderful to reply to so many messages and I really hope you're okay?

Spoiler

Thanks Superwolf. :jumphugs:

Thanks. :colondollar:

I've not got much knowledge of eating disorders, so I'm not gonna stick my oar in where I might end up causing harm accidentally - I just hope that you and your doctor find something to help you. :hugs: I know how slow it can be to recover from a mental illness, but you totally deserve to get better and go on to lead a great life.

About all the uni stuff, I'd take it to the disability office. They'll be better experienced with this kind of thing, and will hopefully be able to take a lot of the strain for you. If you don't know yet, I'd also check your position with your landlord, and see if your friends would suffer at all from your not finding a replacement (I believe there are different kinds of contract which favour different parties, but again I don't know much about this). And I don't know what your family situation is like (sorry if you've said before - appalling memory :redface:), but sometimes your family can be a really good place to turn to when it's just all too much for you. Mines helped me out a lot when I was in too bad a way to be able to think much for myself, and it would be great if yours could help you out too.

Take care of yourself.

Original post by dani_88
I can't sleep because I'm so damn angry.

Mentally unstable... This is what I am, apparently. Nice to know that my so called friends are throwing that around twitter and the like about me...

Friends no more! I tell one person and now everyone knows and all of a sudden my depression has turned into me being 'massively mentally unstable' ... god..I've been living with it for months... When did I supposedly flip and become unstable eh? Some people just do not understand at all do they!

I ..I don't even know what to say..I'm just angry :frown:

It's these kinds of ridiculous comments that lead me to wanting to go around leaping out at people and screaming RAAAAAR! at them, just so's they get their money's worth. I appreciate that this might not be of much use to you (although if you can get an accomplice then the denizens of youtube may be interested), but the point I'm leading up to is that it's fine to be angry with the ***** of this world, but you can't stay angry forever. And what's ultimately far more satisfying, to me at least, is to laugh your arse off at their sublime idiocy. Of course you don't need these people. In fact, these beings that you mistook for people may in fact turn out to be turnips. Spurn them and come live the free life of the Other Side.

Original post by luno
Do you know why the 'can't breathe' thing happens?

I am hopefully going to be a primary school English language assistant in France from this October to April.

I am not sure what to do for Spanish... most probably an intensive language course in the north of Spain :smile:... what did you do for Spanish during your Year Abroad? I remember you saying you studied in Russia...

It doesn't seem 'real' though... I actually cannot imagine myself abroad and I feel like I am just going through the motions. My (few) friends are more nervous about me going than I am!

I know it will be a struggle... I live at home, I have never travelled and I am very close to my family so I am mentally trying to prepare myself but I don't think it will hit me till I am on the plane.

Not sure. Like you said, I think lack of oxygen probably plays a part, and maybe being in an enclosed/crowded space. All I've really learned all the time it's been happening is that you've just got to remember that it'll pass soon, and that it's not actually anything serious.

Awesome! I'm not such a fan of the French language (although my sister has recently gone over to the enemy and is living in Paris. :dry: At least they've got good culture I spose), but teaching can be great.

Spanish isn't actually a part of my degree - I just take the classes open to the public that my uni offers - so I didn't go anywhere Spanish-speaking for my year abroad. But from speaking to other people, if you spend the majority of the year in one country then yeah, an intensive course in the other is probably your best option.

I wouldn't worry about its not seeming real - personally I live half my life in a daze, then occasionally I wake up and realize that holy ****, I'm in Russia. :P Just take things as they come.

Original post by Idle
My nan is ill and my mums reaction is to become an alcoholic again. ****ing fed up of her abuse. I have been doing so well and she is going to undo it ****ing all.

:hugs: Really hope this sorts itself out, you could really do with a break.

Original post by headunderwater
Officially discharged back to my CHMT :biggrin:

Hope this is still going ahead - if so, great. And you still wanting us to come down at the weekend? :teeth:

Original post by Noodlzzz
Ok, totally random idea, but who's up for the next dep soc meet to be at a theme park? :biggrin:

I wanna go.

New thread already? You people talk too much :tongue: You should follow my shining example and sit in the corner being an antisocial grouch :biggrin:

I think you'll find we'd soon run out of corners. :colonhash:

Original post by Anonymous
Anon #2 for the third time! Happy new thread!

Hope everybody is OK :hugs:

Thank **** for that - you're forever burned into my memory as 'anon #2' :tongue:

Original post by Alofleicester
we're all weird crazy children (except wolfie and the other oldies in the thread) :sadnod:

I may be an oldie, but I'll get you young 'uns yet! *rattles cane*

Worst day in a long time. Feel scared to live :frown:

:jumphug:

Original post by tweedletallie
Oooh new thread! Shiny!

Having a good day for a change, got my appointment through for my assessment and the woman was incredibly nice on the phone when I froze up. I have to talk to my head of year though, I missed a week of college (again) and she's not pleased. Time to 'fess up about the whole mental state, although my doctor is out of town for the next few weeks so I can't give her a doctor's note. Oh well!

Don't worry about freezing up on the phone - happens to all of us, and it's good that you got a nice person. Hope talking to your head of year goes/went well (sorry, a bit behind with my posts :colondollar:).
Hi guys, was wondering if I could get a perspective from people who are in a similar situation to that of the people I'm living with.

Basically, a couple of my housemates have been diagnosed with clinical depression. It sucks for them because it really seems to have affected their lives, and I care about these guys so I want to do whatever I can to help. The issue is though, the house is becoming somewhat unlivable. Basically they just don't do washing up, and the result is we have a kitchen piled high with plates and stuff going off... bins overflowing... etc.

I tidy up after myself and occasionally tidy up after them to an extent, but with final exams and coursework round the corner I don't really have time to tidy the kitchen regularly to such a massive extent. I do periodically ask (politely) if they can clean up after themselves but the results are limited.

I want to add, please don't think that I'm pointing the finger or moaning in any way. Whilst I know I can never understand what it's like to be suffering depression, I totally appreciate what they're going through is tough which is why things are happening as they are. I just want to find a way to approach the issue that will work for both of us, because the state the kitchen's in is really, really getting me down. I often feel disgusted whenever I step inside it, and have taken to staying at my girlfriend's quite regularly as a consequence.

I apologise if anything I have said here has come across as offensive in any way, that was not my intent at all and will be the result of little knowledge or understanding about the illness. I would appreciate any suggestions you guys might have from the perspective of people suffering similar issues.

Tricky situation. Having been on the other end of it, I know how impossible it can seem to do even the simplest household tasks - you should have seen my bedroom a few years ago, the floor literally wasn't visible. :eek:

Can you think of any form of compromise that might help sort out this issue? Like any of the household chores that they seem to find easier they take over, and you do the other stuff. Or sometimes when you're depressed it can be easier if someone else takes the lead, so maybe you could arrange to do the cleaning up together (I appreciate that you might still end up doing the majority of the work, but possibly this would still be a better solution than you doing everything).

Anyways, you didn't come across as at all insensitive, and I hope things get better for you and your housemates. :smile:

Can I ask for some advice about how you let your family and close friends know you were depressed? I've lived away from my family for a year or so and although I was affected before, my depression has worsened since then. I keep in touch via phone calls and emails but I've found it impossible to bring up...any suggestions? :confused: I thought about calling them when I'm really upset but I don't want to worry them as they can't travel to see me easily. I'm not the most open with my family anyway :frown:

Email! I knew I couldn't possibly manage it over the phone, so I sent an email with the bare minimum of information (I'm not known for being overflowing with conversation around my family :tongue:), and left them to ask all the questions they wanted afterwards. Job done, and probably the least stressful way, for me at least.

Always been too scared to post on here before but... here it goes.

Hello :smile:

I have Asperger's and I was diagnosed with depression 3 years ago but haven't been back to the doctor since being diagnosed. Just about managing on my own. Just.

Hope to get to know you all better eventually :smile:

Hey. :smile: Welcome to the society, and I hope to see you post more if you think it will help.

Seeing a doctor is a really good idea, especially if your depression has been going on so long. It can be a really hard rut to get out of, and sometimes you need that extra help. However I know that it can sometimes take a while to get to the point where you feel able to see a doctor (took me bloody ages :rolleyes:), I just hope that either you get better or you choose to seek help soon.

Original post by warp2125
I feel so rough...Me and a friend fell out because other people came between us.... Im trying my hardest to work things out with her... but she just does not seem to be interested... we used to spend soo much time together working on stuff and laughing... hanging out and just being a good team...... did it really mean so little to her that she wouldnt want to try and heal the problem.....

were these others so much better.... was I that bad???

:jumphug: Know how that feels. But I doubt it's your fault at all - sometimes people move apart from each other, or they're just fickle, or just plain inconsiderate. I don't recall seeing you post anything that suggests you're a bad or unlikable person, and I really don't think you deserved to be treated like that.

Original post by alexlduffy
Sorry for bugging you guys again, but what are good things you guys like to do when you're feeling really low in order to feel better? I'm feeling extremely low and while listening to music is helping me, all it's doing is making me feel happy for a short period of time. Think I should just go to sleep? Urgh, I HATE feeling like this. It's at that point where just being around other people is annoying me. With some people, it feels like I have to change myself in order to please them.

I don't know any long-term solutions, but TV (south park especially) can help, also playing random internet games (kongregate has a good selection), talking to certain people, either in real life or on skype, reading if I can manage it (Terry Pratchett is nicely easy and entertaining), and generally just doing things which require little effort but take up some concentration.

I'm scared of my medication working because then I'd have to make more of a conscious effort to do things and people will start expecting things from me again. But then I think about it and realise I don't do these things because I am depressed and enjoyed doing them before all of this. Also worried about feeling better in the middle of my exams and panicking about how little I know therefore making me depressed again.

Can anybody relate to this or do I need to grow the hell up? :sigh:

I don't feel like this now, but in the past I've definitely had some of those same thoughts. I just got so used to being depressed and unable to do anything requiring the slightest effort that I got scared of the possibility of the possibility that there might be a time when I'd be able or expected to do them again. But yeah, like you've realised you only think this way while you're depressed. Once you stop being depressed it's so much easier just to get on with daily tasks, and you won't mind people expecting things of you (if anything, it can give you pride in showing you that you're at least partially recovered). And in my experience at least, the relief from truly feeling better eclipses any worries about stuff like exams - just keep on trying to get better, and if it comes then welcome it. :smile:

Original post by Moroseblight
So tired. Seem to be bent on trying to sabotage my 3rd year. Have a 40 credit assignment overdue and I can't write a damn thing. NO, it's not the ****ing frustration or stress. I can't write because I can't see anything in this lethal fog. Blank screens, false starts and muddled lines.

Also, ignoring my counselor and missed a GP appointment. Monumental waste of time. The unpredictable fluctuation of my moods is worse. Pendulum of madness is in constant motion. Sigh.

:hugs: Know the feeling. Despite that I'm a bit short on advice, save that you should just hang in there, and either keep trying with your mental health people or get new ones - you might be glad of them some day.

Original post by Phoenix07
hey, on my second attempt at taking citalopram, first time took it for 3 months, and then just now been on it for a month and a half I think .... and it just doesn't seem to have any affect at all. But having been to the Drs and told them about it, it seems like citalopram is the only thing they are willing to prescribe for it. I am not sure if this is because I am not getting across how bad my depression is or whether its because this is just there protocol? Going back at the beginning of next week though because I want to try and get this sorted, so not sure if anyone else has found the same? Or if other people went in saying they would like to try something else or what? Just want to try and get some help but I know I am so used to trying to hide how I feel that I don't think it comes across as though I really do need help! Could just do with some medication advice really, thanks

Yeah, I'd up the dose or change to another. If you've been on it for months then (so far as I'm aware) it's unlikely to just suddenly and magically start working if your doctor wishes hard enough. :tongue:

It's perfectly fine to go in and say you think you've given this one chance enough, and that you'd like to try another. I'd still listen to what they have to say and see if they've got good reason for keeping you on the citalopram, but remember that as the patient you still get to play an important role in the decision making.

Hi everbody,
I just need somewhere where I can get some advice about getting help for depression. At 14 I saw the doctor about anxiety and very low mood. The doctor referred me to PCAMHS where I saw a PCAMHS worker once a week, supposedly for 6 weeks but I stopped after 3 weeks because I found her patronising and it was making everything worse than ever. I just told her I felt fine again and so I didn't think I needed to see her anymore.....all completely untrue, but I didn't know what else to tell her. After about a year, things did eventually get better. Now, aged 19, since moving to university in September I have been having very low mood again, and worse than before. I know when something is normal and when it is normal, and I know that this type of low mood really isn't normal. I don't want to do anything, I don't want to see my friends, if I do see my friends I don't enjoy it, I don't really want to go outside, I have only managed to cook 4 meals for myself since moving to university. All of this is not because I am a lazy person and is very out of character for me. I know how to cook and used to enjoy it, I used to enjoy going out with my friends etc. I had been thinking about going to the doctor for about 3 months, since Christmas, and finally went a few weeks ago. However, I was unsure about going because I didn't feel I was taken seriously when I was 14, even though I knew then that what I was experiencing wasn't normal, so I went to the doctor with tiredness, feeling weak, dizzy etc. knowing that they would ask about mood, which they did. However, although I was able to say that I'd been experiencing very low mood for 7 months now, she just said "see what happens". I could understand that if it had been 1 month, but 7 months is too long and now I'm not sure what to do. I know this is not a normal type of low mood, it is all day, every day, somewhere in the back of my mind even if I am doing something that I am finding enjoyable. I will probably go back to the doctor again in a few months, but I don't think I will be able to really express exactly how bad I feel.

Hey, well done for going to see the doctor in the first place - can take a lot of guts. But having been once, I think the sooner you go again the better. You've nothing to lose, and the sooner you go the sooner you can start getting treatment. If you don't feel like you'll be able to express yourself properly, I've often seen the advice given on here to write down what you want to say in the form of bullet points or a letter, and then you can either just read it out or hand it over. There's no need for you to keep on having this thing hovering over you without trying to get better, so please see a doctor again soon. :console:

Anyone think doing some long term travelling can be a decent treatment for depression?

I hear some people (depressed or not) have their lives changed for the better by it, but then I'd also worry it'd look a bit like running away from my problems temporarily.

For me at least, travel can really lift me out of a depressive phase. However after a time (can be up to a year mind) I go back to feeling like crap again. Possibly if after travelling you kept up with major lifestyle changes, and your depression was in large part circumstantial, you might be able to prevent depression reoccurring. However for me, despite my depression's coming back later, the times I had travelling were so good in themselves that I don't give a monkey's if it was only a temporary solution and that it could have been perceived as my running away (actually I'll freely admit that in large part it was - you try living in Scotland for 18 years :tongue:) - even if it is only temporary it's always good to have a break from depression.

Hi, I've never posted on here before but I've been depressed for a long time now. No one knows about my depression as I have been very good at hiding it around other people.

Today has been one of my lowest points in a long time; I have been at home alone all day and every second has been filled with negative thoughts and anxiety attacks. I've never felt so trapped in all my life, but I just found this site that actually put a slight smile on my face when I had almost given up. Granted, I'm not happy per se but these quotes somehow got me out of that dark place for a couple of moments.

Give it a read. :smile:

Hi there. :hello:

It took me a ridiculously long time (and an equally ridiculous volume of alcohol) to tell someone about my depression, and I know it's not something you can do just like that, but believe me if you can find a decent person to tell it to it can be a great weight off your mind, and also a step towards getting better. Something that I've found is that by posting in this thread about how I've been feeling I've got more used to talking about my emotions in real life too (I used to be seriously shy/reserved, am now a bit more open), so hopefully if you post on here too then it'll help you towards opening up in real life too. :smile:

Original post by loonyplatypus
Hey guys.

I hope it's okay that I'm randomly posting in here. I haven't been on TSR in months but I remembered that there was a depression soc on here and I just feel like I'm at crisis point at the moment and I need someone to talk to. I drifted away from TSR last summer but when I came back to uni in the autumn everything just fell apart and I realised I'd been feeling low for years and that it wasn't normal. Now I know I have depression and I'm taking antidepressants and I've gradually been getting better, but I've just come back to uni after the Easter holidays and although I'm coping with work much better, my social life is just non-existent and it's killing me. I have three great housemates and a boyfriend who lives in Leeds (I'm in York) so I do get some social interaction but it's just not enough and it's making me so jealous of my boyfriend who has far more friends than me, and I'm going to end up pushing him away soon if things don't change.

Just don't know what to do. Help.

Greetings. :biggrin:

Of course it's ok for you to post on here. And I'm glad that some things are improving for you, like work and stuff. I'm not an expert (far from it :lol:) on socialising, but have you tried seeing if you can hang out with your housemates'/boyfriend's friends as well? Or check out the TSR forum for your uni - I managed to meet a really nice girl at my uni this year, on the same course and everything.

Also, if you feel you're taking things out on your boyfriend too much, next time you feel angry or insecure you could try coming online and venting on this thread - none of us will mind, and it might help you sort your emotions out before speaking to your boyfriend again.

What a **** weekend to put it bluntly :erm:

Aunt is in a vegetative state after a massive stroke, very unlikely she's going to pull through. As expected cousin is absolutely hysterical about the whole situation. Not entirely sure what to say to him, it's not a like a broken leg where you can say they'll get better soon.

Something good better come along soon, having a real run of dreadful luck at the moment :s-smilie:

:frown: Remember we're all thinking of you, and are here any time you need us.

I'm not sure there's much you can say to your cousin, except something like what I've just said, or else you could take the religious line and assure him of God's having a greater plan or suchlike. :s-smilie:

And yes superwolf if you're reading this that does mean they'll be extra tasty from all that foraging and free ranging... :wink: You still can't eat them though.

Define 'can't'. :eviltongue:

I don't really like being me very much. I feel I have this weird personality that doesn't let me make/keep close friends very easily, nor get much involved with guys either. I'm also very lazy, procrastinating, never know what I want. Whether this is a result of depression or just instilled in my crap personality, I don't really know. I really can't stand it cos I wish I could be different, somehow, in order to improve these areas in my life but I feel like I can't. And I always feel so jealous of various people who seem to have it much better than me. So frustrating :sigh:

Trust me, it's the depression. I get on perfectly well with myself at the times when I'm not depressed, but then all that changes once I'm feeling bad again. It's even more depressing in a way, cos it feels like it's even harder to change myself when I'm not actually sure which parts of me are 'me' or not. But people I've asked have always said they don't see such a massive difference in me, and you seem lovely to me, so maybe it's all just in our heads. :tongue:

Original post by laut_biru
Sounds good.

We really will have to get around to stealing them.

Look, you get a quote this time! :awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

Laut smells.

And yes, we will. :lockstock:

Original post by ilem

Yep, ask your GP. I'd also be prepared to give your reasons for why you think you need a referral though, and also be aware that (depending on your area) it can sometimes be a long wait.

In. Anyone else feel like they're depressed but simply will never put a label on it or let anyone else know? I don't think I have depression but I read something about a depression type thing where it's one off and loads of people get it. Feel terrible when I'm on my own and have done for a pretty long while now.

Do you have a particular reason why you think you don't have depression (not saying you do, :tongue: just asking)? If for a long time you've been feeling bad then you really ought to do something about it - identify what's wrong and try to change it, and/or go visit your doctor to see what they think.

Original post by rmhumphries
I really wish my friend Tom and me were still in touch. I understand why we drifted apart, I even don't think it was my fault, but by the gods do I wish I could talk to him right now :frown:

:jumphug: I know it's him you need right now, but remember you can always turn to me/us too.

This is where casual sex comes in. :sexface:

I am writing the most clichéd email to the Samaritans. Do you ever think they get bored?

Also does anyone know if there are any anti-depressants that work really quickly?? I am very not good :frown:

They don't seem to. :tongue:

I'm afraid so far as I know for all current antidepressants it's the same rule of thumb - they can kick in sooner, but doctors will typically tell you to wait six to eight weeks to see any results.

Hope things do look up for you quicker than that though. :smile:

:sexface: :sexface: :sexface: :sexface: :sexface: :sexface: :sexface:
Reply 398
Hey guys how is everyone doing?

I'm feeling pretty rubbish. I'm developing serious insomnia. I've been up all night yet again (for like the 6th time in a row now) and I know I will probably spend today being totally unproductive as a result. I don't know if I should start taking sleeping pills or something.

I think I really ought to go to some counselling. It's so hard to make myself go though, do you guys find that too? I feel so scared about telling someone my problems, it's quite heavy stuff and I find it so hard to talk about. I don't know what else to do though. My doctor recommended a group I can go to who aren't professionals or anything, but they are just there to listen and to give some impartial advice.

Ugh.

Haha just read this:

Original post by superwolf

This is where casual sex comes in. :sexface:

I'm seriously thinking I need to stick to casual sex. Relationships suck.
(edited 11 years ago)
how do you find meaning/reasons for living life? I really struggle with this sometimes, like I really don't know why I exist, let alone what I am supposed to be doing and ****.

things make so little sense as well, this world just seems so wrong to me in so many ways, yet there are glimpses of good out there, but why do the good worship the bad? I don't know, none of what im saying here probably makes any sense even, my mind is just a mess of thoughts and I don't even know how to begin to express them :frown:

Latest