The Student Room Group

The Uni Study Thread Mark IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by super_kawaii
Still hasn't sunk in that I've finished uni. Results won't be released until next month but I've accepted the fact I'm highly likely (read almost certain) to get a 2:2 as my final classification which will mean I'm nothing more than a massive waste of time and money. Feel so terrible even though I have a job lined up for September

:hugs:

my results are released next month too, it could go either way for me (especially after one disastrous exam).

You have a job lined up though which is great- so it hasn't gone to waste :hugs:
Results go live for me today at 2pm for me. Convinced I have a 2:2
Results go live for me today at 2pm for me. Convinced I have a 2:2

How did it go? :smile:
Original post by rayquaza17
How did it go? :smile:

I somehow managed a 2:1
I somehow managed a 2:1

Congratulations!!
graduating in 10 days :redface: and I've got my list of universities I'll be applying to in the new academic year :woo:
im actually excited for third year.
I'm really really excited for third year (or fourth in my case because I did a year abroad).
I'm taking a year out but sent off my application for my masters/ masters by research a month ago I'm so pleased to have offers from Sheffield- I think my top choice and Leicester and I have an interview at Nottingham. I'm still waiting to hear from Cardiff and Liverpool :h:

Beeen such a very loooong time...

I miss this thread! Why hadn't anyone started a new one for this new year? :s-smilie:

Original post by lilGem
I'm taking a year out but sent off my application for my masters/ masters by research a month ago I'm so pleased to have offers from Sheffield- I think my top choice and Leicester and I have an interview at Nottingham. I'm still waiting to hear from Cardiff and Liverpool :h:

Girl I miss you! (Hope you remember me :':wink:)
Regardless. Good luck with your further studies!
OMG, I remember this thread :zomg:
This thread, omg. Guys, how is everyone? Where are we all at?

I miss this thread and wish we could start a new one. I miss you guys!
Original post by snailsareslimy

I graduated in July and now holding 3 masters offers :h:

This thread is so dead now :frown:
Just got reminded me of this thread as it came to the top of the 'watched threads' list. Sad to see its so dead now :frown: As I'm no longer a student I 'graduated' to the GOG Soc (Grumpy Old Graduate society).
(edited 7 years ago)

Hiya, finished my Masters over a year ago, working now.
Original post by lilGem
I graduated in July and now holding 3 masters offers :h:

This thread is so dead now :frown:

Congrats! :dance: where are you thinking of heading? :smile:

Original post by jelly1000
Hiya, finished my Masters over a year ago, working now.

Congrats Jelly! Where are you working? Do you miss uni or are you glad to see the back off it? :smile:

---
I haven't done all that much since graduating in 2015. Travelled a bit, worked *****y jobs, moved down to Dublin with my boyfriend a few months ago, which was a bit of a whirlwind (this girl is a bit of a homebody so I missed being 3 hours away from home! Getting more used to it now though and I love living with him. Oh, and we got two rabbits who are the loves of my life <3). But in all honesty for the last while I'd been dealing with mental health issues. I think my refusal to get counselling and proper help 2 years ago finally caught up with me so I had a quite bad few months where I wasn't well. Recently I decided that I was ready to go back to uni and apply for the MA I had planned to over a year ago, I finally feel like my head is in the right space now and that me starting in 2017 is the right decision. Hopefully going to have a meeting with an old lecturer in the next few weeks to talk through the MA application process and get references sorted. If anyone has any advice for starting postgraduate study after time out then I'd be more than thankful to have some tips :smile:

Congrats Jelly! Where are you working? Do you miss uni or are you glad to see the back off it? :smile:

---
I haven't done all that much since graduating in 2015. Travelled a bit, worked *****y jobs, moved down to Dublin with my boyfriend a few months ago, which was a bit of a whirlwind (this girl is a bit of a homebody so I missed being 3 hours away from home! Getting more used to it now though and I love living with him. Oh, and we got two rabbits who are the loves of my life <3). But in all honesty for the last while I'd been dealing with mental health issues. I think my refusal to get counselling and proper help 2 years ago finally caught up with me so I had a quite bad few months where I wasn't well. Recently I decided that I was ready to go back to uni and apply for the MA I had planned to over a year ago, I finally feel like my head is in the right space now and that me starting in 2017 is the right decision. Hopefully going to have a meeting with an old lecturer in the next few weeks to talk through the MA application process and get references sorted. If anyone has any advice for starting postgraduate study after time out then I'd be more than thankful to have some tips :smile:

I'm 95% certain on Sheffield, I'm going to the visit day in a few weeks with the boy to make sure we're both happy.

:hugs: I'm glad to hear things are getting better for you, and that your boyfriend is so supportive!

I'll be interested in the answer to your last question :h:

---

It's a policy based organisation, exactly what I wanted to do and I love it. Glad to hear your on the mend now!
Guys I need help!!!! Which uni is better for night life. I'm hoping to study Pharmacy btw.
UEA vs Reading
Original post by lilGem
I'm 95% certain on Sheffield, I'm going to the visit day in a few weeks with the boy to make sure we're both happy.

:hugs: I'm glad to hear things are getting better for you, and that your boyfriend is so supportive!

I'll be interested in the answer to your last question :h:

I'm so so so excited for you :h: Sheffield is an awesome uni, you'll love it!

Original post by jelly1000
It's a policy based organisation, exactly what I wanted to do and I love it. Glad to hear your on the mend now!

That sounds awesome! Glad you're enjoying it and all that hard work paid off in the end :smile: nothing better than when it all comes together :h:

---
(Got a bit ranty but I think writing it down is helping me understand my thoughts so this is probably moreso for me than anyone else lel :colonhash:)

Had my meeting today, went really well. My research proposal went down really well which is a huge weight off my shoulders, and my marks and everything are more than fine to apply with. Panic over! I was told about a new postgraduate course at Queen's today, an MRes. I hadn't even considered doing a research led masters so I need to research it (ha) and weigh up the pros and cons. I like the way I would have the freedom to study across disciplines and I essentially only study what I genuinely want to, but with MAs and their taught element, the course structure they have might help me to do better rather than me feeling like I'm going out on my own.

We both discussed having my application in for mid January, which gives me time to start reading up on my proposal so it isn't a pile of gibberish when I go to summarise it, and figure out what type of postgrad I really want to do. And where I even want to go. It's a lot easier for me to go to Queen's, I know the lecturers, the buildings, the libraries, the postgrad study spaces, and it's a city I'm more than familiar with. TCD is a better establishment (but obviously that reduces the chance of an offer), but it's also £3000 more expensive and while I'm vaguely familiar with the area of Dublin it's situated, I'd definitely be starting all over again. I haven't had a chance to even see the UCD campus yet, so it's the one with the most uncertainty surrounding it, but their MA is multi disciplinary which I really like. I'd quite like to hunt down another Irish university to apply for, just to keep things open. Decisions, decisions. Gonna be a fun few weeks!

Quick Reply

Latest