The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Prospective Economists you should check out my blog, the prospective economist it has advice on all areas relating to applying for a Economics degree. Follow my sig.
Reply 201
I always thought I wanted to go to UCL to do Economics, then I went to see my brother in York and loved the atmosphere better.... But as I don't want to step on his toes I am seriously looking into Bath, Warwick, Exeter, Edinburgh (not sure about the weather!), UCL/Nottingham
Original post by tateco
Was there that much focus on maths? :s-smilie: I know maths is important for economics but I really enjoy learning about economic theory too... not sure if it will be for me, but I'll have to wait for the open day on 29th of June I guess

Yeah it's the same for me. There really was that much, I mean they say if you FM at AS they want an A "because you can't get higher" lool :tongue:
Also said if you find A level maths difficult, don't apply to the course, go for like Economic History or w/e or a different uni. The impression I (and the person I was with) also got from the way they said things like this was that if you find you have to work hard to get 90+ and put in more effort than in other subjects don't bother.
Reply 203
Original post by cat_cat
Me :biggrin:
UCL is the dream

Welcome :smile:

Why UCL?
Reply 204
Original post by Sashari
I always thought I wanted to go to UCL to do Economics, then I went to see my brother in York and loved the atmosphere better.... But as I don't want to step on his toes I am seriously looking into Bath, Warwick, Exeter, Edinburgh (not sure about the weather!), UCL/Nottingham

York looks really good, I'm applying to it as one of my back-up choices. Bath is going to be my middle uni and Nottingham also another semi-back up. What do you think of Bristol?
Reply 205
Original post by tateco
Welcome :smile:

Why UCL?

Thanks, I just love the atmosphere and the uni as a whole. The international programme is something i wanna look at.

I've been looking at warwick, notts, birmingham, and york as well.

What about you ?
Reply 206
Original post by tateco
York looks really good, I'm applying to it as one of my back-up choices. Bath is going to be my middle uni and Nottingham also another semi-back up. What do you think of Bristol?

Bristol also looks fantastic. I wish we could study in different places. Like 3 months in one place, 3 in the other, etc. Would make life so much easier :tongue:
Reply 207
Original post by cat_cat
Thanks, I just love the atmosphere and the uni as a whole. The international programme is something i wanna look at.

What about you ?

Ah I'm also considering the UCL international course. What did you think of York, I haven't visited it yet?
Reply 208
Original post by cat_cat

What about you ?

Pretty similar to me then :P

I'm thinking about Cambridge, LSE (though not too sure about this one any more), Bristol, Bath, Nottingham, York

I'm not really sure whether the international programme would be something I'd be interested in, I think I'd rather do a masters or a year in industry
Reply 209
Original post by Groat
Ah I'm also considering the UCL international course. What did you think of York, I haven't visited it yet?

Graet minds think alike :wink:
It sounds alrite from what ive heard, haven't visited it yet either
Reply 210
Original post by tateco
Pretty similar to me then :P

I'm thinking about Cambridge, LSE (though not too sure about this one any more), Bristol, Bath, Nottingham, York

I'm not really sure whether the international programme would be something I'd be interested in, I think I'd rather do a masters or a year in industry

I dont think my GCSE's will be good enough for Cambridge, LSE

You have a point, it would be more useful doin a masters or year in industry, its just my passion for travelling that is swaying me :cool:
Reply 211
Original post by cat_cat
I dont think my GCSE's will be good enough for Cambridge, LSE

You have a point, it would be more useful doin a masters or year in industry, its just my passion for travelling that is swaying me :cool:

My GCSEs aren't good enough for LSE. LSE, UCL, Warwick are the three that are strict on GCSEs (apparently) Cambridge only look at related GCSEs (which luckily for me I got A*s in) and take more note of UMS marks - which favours me greatly. Don't get me wrong though it's still a long shot :L I'll be really happy at any of the choices I mentioned
Reply 212
Original post by tateco
My GCSEs aren't good enough for LSE. LSE, UCL, Warwick are the three that are strict on GCSEs (apparently) Cambridge only look at related GCSEs (which luckily for me I got A*s in) and take more note of UMS marks - which favours me greatly. Don't get me wrong though it's still a long shot :L I'll be really happy at any of the choices I mentioned

I think it's a shame Oxford don't ask for UMS marks, yet Cambridge do - I'll still be putting them down, though! Still, I am going to aim for 100 UMS in everything as I feel it should increase my chance of obtaining offers, as well as taking a lot of pressure off next year's modules.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by tateco

Hey, do you know if Cambridge look at UMS for the AS subject that you drop and whether that will have any impact? I'm slightly worried about my chemistry.... :frown:
Reply 214
Original post by jamiepango
Hey, do you know if Cambridge look at UMS for the AS subject that you drop and whether that will have any impact? I'm slightly worried about my chemistry.... :frown:

Cambridge look at the three AS subjects that are either most relevant to your degree or the one's your scored most highly in. Then they take a weighted average of the three and use this when deciding whether or not to invite you for interview

Those are the words of the Cambridge head of admissions for maths and I assume it is the same for all others :smile:

Groat, it is annoying Oxford don't ask for UMS, they also place more weight on GCSEs as a result of this which wouldn't favour me
Original post by tateco
Cambridge look at the three AS subjects that are either most relevant to your degree or the one's your scored most highly in. Then they take a weighted average of the three and use this when deciding whether or not to invite you for interview

Those are the words of the Cambridge head of admissions for maths and I assume it is the same for all others :smile:

Groat, it is annoying Oxford don't ask for UMS, they also place more weight on GCSEs as a result of this which wouldn't favour me

Ah okay, that sounds more encouraging then, thanks :smile:
Reply 216
Very true, just gotta work hard to get all A's this year
Reply 217
Original post by jamiepango

As long as you have strong results in three other subjects, I'm sure it shouldn't matter too much. But remember, things like this are easy reasons for them not to invite you to interview; try your hardest to pick up the chemistry grade, perhaps? You've got plenty of time!
Reply 218
I'm glad Oxford don't ask for UMS personally, as then if I get below-par I can apply there instead of Cambridge as I have a decent set of GCSEs.
Original post by Groat
As long as you have strong results in three other subjects, I'm sure it shouldn't matter too much. But remember, things like this are easy reasons for them not to invite you to interview; try your hardest to pick up the chemistry grade, perhaps? You've got plenty of time!

Haha I know, it's just that I'm devoting most of the revision time towards chemistry and *hopefully* it won't affect my other subjects. If I can somehow scrape an A, I will be more than happy :P

Latest