The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1400
Applied for MSci Chemistry at Queen's University Belfast, hope I get an offer!
Reply 1401
Firmed UCL and Insuranced York, woo:biggrin:
Unconditional offer for Strathclyde (Chemistry with Drug Discovery) :biggrin:

Anyone else going to Strathclyde?
Original post by Fazza192
Hey guys,

Not posted on this forum before, but had an interview on the 28th, and just got a letter through the post saying I have a confirmed offer :smile: Good luck guys!

Is this for UCL? If so has the offer now appeared on your UCAS?

I went to the interview at UCL on the 28th and got a letter a few days later saying that they were recommending that I am made an offer. Although this has not come through on my UCAS yet so still holding back the excitement until it does :smile:
Hey guys, has anyone had an interview at Queen Mary for chemistry?

If so do you know what kinda questions they ask and what everyone wore?
Really nervous for it, got it tomorrow :frown:
Original post by Capo_Kid
Is this for UCL? If so has the offer now appeared on your UCAS?

I went to the interview at UCL on the 28th and got a letter a few days later saying that they were recommending that I am made an offer. Although this has not come through on my UCAS yet so still holding back the excitement until it does :smile:

I'm STILL waiting for UCL. Since as you got a letter for an offer a few days later, I'm expecting a rejection.
Original post by .snowflake.
I'm STILL waiting for UCL. Since as you got a letter for an offer a few days later, I'm expecting a rejection.

I got my official offer come through on UCAS today :biggrin:! Don't be downhearted, I was at an interview for Queen Mary on Tuesday and bummed into a guy who was at the same UCL interview day as me. He told me he never received a letter but got an offer on UCAS the day before!

It seems to be random who they decide to send letters too :/ but no letter definitely does not mean no offer :smile:
Original post by Faiza_Z_A
Hey guys, has anyone had an interview at Queen Mary for chemistry?

If so do you know what kinda questions they ask and what everyone wore?
Really nervous for it, got it tomorrow :frown:

Hey I was at the same interview day at Queen Mary! How did your interview go?
i had my interview on the 14th february for ucl chemistry and still have had no replies
Reply 1409
hey everyone i was wandering... can someone actually explain to me what acreditation is and how important is it in the furture when applying for jobs? i'm worried one of my options says they're not acredited yet but they will be in about 2 years by which time i'll still be on the course and i've been told even though i'll be 2 years through everything will be swicthed over or something like that...

then another one the course is acredited but the facilities aren't as good as the first one and as an overall uni i think the first one is more recognised but i don't think the chemistry course is as well recognised?

but.. yea can anyone help with informing how important acreditation is please reply really confsued :s-smilie: :confused::angry:
Original post by Dinul
hey everyone i was wandering... can someone actually explain to me what acreditation is and how important is it in the furture when applying for jobs? i'm worried one of my options says they're not acredited yet but they will be in about 2 years by which time i'll still be on the course and i've been told even though i'll be 2 years through everything will be swicthed over or something like that...

then another one the course is acredited but the facilities aren't as good as the first one and as an overall uni i think the first one is more recognised but i don't think the chemistry course is as well recognised?

but.. yea can anyone help with informing how important acreditation is please reply really confsued :s-smilie: :confused::angry:

What institutions are you looking at?! :s-smilie:

However, from what I can figure out, to be an accredited course, it needs to be recognised by the RSC or similar bodies as a sort of 'seal of quality' so to speak. I don't know much but there's a little more detail here.

In terms of job prospects, I would imagine that accreditation is almost vital. To have a graduate from an unaccredited course may give them cause to question the actual merits of the course and whether it has prepared you enough for the world of work :dontknow:

If it is an accredited/recognised course, the university will use that as a selling point :yep:
Original post by Dinul

I remember being told it was pretty important if you were planning on doing chemistry related work, however if you just want the degree I believe it's not so important. Don't take this as the gospel though, I'm not 100% sure about it...
Original post by Capo_Kid
Hey I was at the same interview day at Queen Mary! How did your interview go?

Hey maybe I saw you then haha, what day was yours on?
The interview went good, it was a bit shaky at first because I had the french woman as my interviewer and there was this whole mess about asking me to draw a nitro group but I thought she said nitrile, but it was alright we had a laugh.

How did yours go?
Reply 1413
Original post by EierVonSatan
No point applying to both the BSc and MSci at a single university :nah: it's possible to move up from the BSc to the MSci mid-way through the course (normally up to the end of the second year - grades permitting) so it's a wasted choice.

You're a STAR! thanks for saying that theres no point applying for both Bsc and Msci at a single university. as I have been worrying all since I applied for my Bsc Medicinal Chemistry and thought there is no way I would get to do Msci. Thanks for the peace of mind.
Original post by cdoyle
You're a STAR! thanks for saying that theres no point applying for both Bsc and Msci at a single university. as I have been worrying all since I applied for my Bsc Medicinal Chemistry and thought there is no way I would get to do Msci. Thanks for the peace of mind.

Welcome :smile:
Original post by robk93
Firmed UCL and Insuranced York, woo:biggrin:

what grades? u get as levels?
Reply 1416
Original post by chignesh10
what grades? u get as levels?

Predicted AAA, offer is AAB. Got aaaa at AS (with as history), predicted an a in AS maths
Original post by robk93
Predicted AAA, offer is AAB. Got aaaa at AS (with as history), predicted an a in AS maths

Oh ok, was it necessary to get all As for UCL in AS
Original post by chignesh10
Oh ok, was it necessary to get all As for UCL in AS

Definately not! I got BBCCD Bio,Chem,Gen. Studies, German, Maths
Original post by Faiza_Z_A
Hey maybe I saw you then haha, what day was yours on?
The interview went good, it was a bit shaky at first because I had the french woman as my interviewer and there was this whole mess about asking me to draw a nitro group but I thought she said nitrile, but it was alright we had a laugh.

How did yours go?

I was there on the 20th of March, we was all in the big hall having interviews while they had stuff going on around the edges.

Oh thats good then glad to hear it went well. It was good thanks, he didn't actually ask me anything testing at all. Most of it was about my personal statement which had nothing to do with Chemistry! The only question he did ask about it was "So what are you enjoying in Chemistry at the moment?" so it was a really laid back interview. I also got offered a place so it must have gone well :smile:

Did you receive and offer from them?