The Student Room Group

Paris or Rome?

My boyfriend and I are planning on a four day break in early July to either Paris or Rome. We've never been to either of these cities and are quite keen to go.

Has anybody experienced both, and if so, which did you prefer? Thinking about things such as attractions, food, value for money...

We'd consider other European cities but are leaning more towards Paris or Rome.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
both are good, garantee you wont be dissapointed with either :smile: Both amazing food attractions, i prefer Rome for attractions but France for food. really couldnt choose which is better.
If i had a choice i'd go Rome :smile:
Paris.
Reply 3
Rome.
Reply 4
I prefer Rome so much more, it's got a much better atmosphere, and the people were friendlier :biggrin:
Reply 5
Yeah Paris can be a bit rough in places, attracts a lot of pickpockets and such. though most places do :\
Reply 6
I think that in Paris you have to go to expensive places to feel the city... I mean good restaurants, nice hotels.... while in Rome it's cheaper and easier for a couple, cheap hotels in the center, nice food...

So between the two, I loved so much Rome, I recommend it instead of Paris.
Reply 7
I loved Rome more than Paris but they both have their own special charm.

I would strongly recommend a guide when checking out the Colosseum and Forum...it's only about 5 euros and is a fabulous experience...much better than walking around on your own. There are also plenty of reasonably priced restaurants in Rome whereas Paris had us peeling off money like nobody's business!

We stayed at the Napoleon Hotel...it's within walking distance to the main sightseeing places. There is so much to see and do in Rome...may go back there soon.
Original post by whiteing
Yeah Paris can be a bit rough in places, attracts a lot of pickpockets and such. though most places do :\

Without looking at stats i'd imagine pickpocketing is far worse in Rome than Paris.
Reply 9
Thanks guys, you've given me some food for thought. Still quite stuck but I suppose it's quite a personal choice though, a fair few people have said Rome out of the two...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Rome. It's superior to Paris in almost every respect. For better history, cuisine (Roman pizzas are amazing), weather (Rome is sunnier and warmer, especially in Summer), beauty (Rome is incredibly beautiful) culture (Catholic Church is centred in Rome, and it is the heart of Italian culture) and atmosphere, go to Rome. Rome beats Paris on almost all criteria.
No life is really complete without a visit to both. Go on your instincts this year and then go to the other city next year.
Reply 12
Thanks everyone. We've made a decision. We get the impression that Rome (dare I say it) might be the bigger holiday of the two so we've planned to go with our short break to Paris this year and then (hopefully) a slightly longer trip to Rome next year, when we might make a bit of a thing of it and visit a few other places in Italy.
Very hard to say. I've been to Rome twice and to Paris far too often (7 or 8 times).
Even though they're both terribly overrated, I prefer Paris. But not by much.
Reply 14
Rome without a doubt. So much to see in Rome, its beautiful and full of history.
Rome!

Prefer it's history!
You made the right decision: Paris, no question. Rome will be unbearably hot in July, and there will be so many tourists there you'll spend most of your time waiting in queues dying of heat exhaustion. Go to Rome in the very early summer or Autumn. Paris is not as 'exotic' as Rome and perhaps not as interesting (for my tastes anyway), but it will be cooler, and it's slightly less crowded what with its boulevardes and grandes places.

Also, going to other parts of Italy is a good idea: Rome is nice but it's got a very individual identity, it's not the same as going to other parts of Italy. Go to Florence, Venice and Verona, or Sicily if you're feeling more adventurous, as well as Rome.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Both are really expensive (and unfortunately for you, the pound is quite strong these times) !

I have been in both cities and I defo prefer Paris. The food is better, there are many different amazing places (not only the typical touristic things with Montmartre, Eiffel Tower etc.) and for a "couple trip" Paris is more romantic :wink: . You made the right decision !

THat's a shame parisian aren't as welcoming as the italian though haha !
Be careful in the subway (pickpockets) and enjoy your time there .
Paris :h:

Then again I am bias :tongue:
I haven't been to Rome but I loved Paris the first time I went. Now I live here I'd say it's rough and expensive.

Quick Reply

Latest