The Student Room Group

Middle Easterners...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by thedepressedchild
yeah erm.....................................i'm not really :smile:

I am Pakistani though................that is still in the middle-east........right? :frown:

Oh then why'd you say you were? And no, as far as I know it's not.. 'greater middle east' maybe, but who uses that term anyway.
Original post by mare?
Oh then why'd you say you were? And no, as far as I know it's not.. 'greater middle east' maybe, but who uses that term anyway.

If Pakistan is in the greater Middle East, then so is New Zealand :colonhash:

^ Hahahaha :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by mare?

Original post by mare?

lol alright didn't mean to offend you. I'm just trying to fit in with the discussion thats all lol and since you're saying it's in the "greater middle-east" i suppose i am a middle-easterner :biggrin:
Reply 264
Hahaha I knew that was going to be zakia zakaria just by reading the title. Wish I understood more of what they're saying but man, their facial expression when he takes the wig off is too funny :lol:

lol alright didn't mean to offend you. I'm just trying to fit in with the discussion thats all lol and since you're saying it's in the "greater middle-east" i suppose i am a middle-easterner :biggrin:

Err I'm not offended, I could care less :smile: You're still ma brother from another motha. (although lolol@Democracy)
Original post by mare?

Original post by mare?
Hahaha I knew that was going to be zakia zakaria just by reading the title. Wish I understood more of what they're saying but man, their facial expression when he takes the wig off is too funny :lol:

Err I'm not offended, I could care less :smile: You're still ma brother from another motha. (although lolol@Democracy)

lol ok :biggrin:

loool no thats not true, i was just joking about when i said i was arab.

Yes walla... :colonhash: :biggrin:

Original post by mare?

Hahaha, oh Egyptians. The funniest souls on earth! Now moving on...

ODE TO WEMBLEY:

If you're an Iraqi and you live anywhere in the Northern Hemisphere then you will know of the 'little kathmiya' residential area more commonly referred to as Wembley. This small enclave in northwestern london is no longer famed for its towering football stadium but for the highest concentration of Iraqi's per sqaure metre anywhere in Western Europe.

Approaching it from Alperton with the smell of curries and spices still lingering, the multitude of bollywood film posters start to fade and the bright colours merge into an ever stretching length of grey concrete that is Wembley High Street. It is here that we get the gritty amalgamation of ethnicities and the anarchy that results from mixing Asian, Afro-carribean, somalian and Arab at the centre of which lies the building to which all gravitate to......the local Primark.

As you try not to get crushed by the throng of eager, desperate shoppers shout out the odd 'Wallahi 3abdi', 'Wilek Abu Jasim, wen ri7it', 'Shaniqua get yo'self down here before i slap you one', and 'Oi Priya, this top is well buff innit?' you join in the tangle for the cheapest piece of polyesster Chinese sweat shop produced material you can find marvelling at how you got the latest fashions for only £1.50 per outfit.

Leaving Primark, you are faced with the hell hole that is Wembley Central station. This dark, menacing, urine-smelling excuse of a train station. Unless you want to be mugged by the gangsters loitering outside the afro-carribean hairdressers or be vomitted on by the drunks in the corner, avoid it at all costs. There are other ways to get to central london besides the urinal that is the bakerloo line with its lack of arm rests in between the seats and the scaringly close seating arrangements of the 2 facing 2 booths which absolutely force you to make eye contact with whoever is sitting opposite. Now that you DON'T want to do.

Leaving the centre of Wembley you now make your way to the more respectable and leafy Wembley Park, a proverbial light at the end of the tunnel. The tunnel however is the number 83, the absolute slowest most painstaking bus in london. If you manage to get through this snail pace journey, without falling foul of the teenaged yobs carrying out a turf war between their schools on the upper deck or the group of pensioners who happen to be the only white people left in Wembley blaming you for the desecration of their once respectable suburb, then count yourself lucky.

Make sure you get off spack bang between the two giant supermarkets where you must make a difficult choice. Lidl or Asda? Either way be prepared, take out your breathmints, smooth down your hair or adjust your scarf for you will meet at least 10 iraqi families (that you know personally) buying basmati rice or boxes of satsumas like a nuclear holocaust is about to hit. Even if you try sneaking into Asda at 3 in the morning with your na3al still on, be warned: you WILL be seen. And unless your gaze is resolutely glued to the floor you WILL get a reputation.

Once you get through all the salmini 3ala flans and you've dodged the last two Um and Abu Ali's in the car park, its time for a little sustenance. Behold your wide variety of treats to tantalise your taste buds, you have a total of 4, yes i repeat FOUR different fried chicken shops....plus the pizza take away (all bismilla halal and thoroughly investigated by diligent youths)

Your trip is now coming to an end....you're passed by a couple of Um flans discreetly power walking with their abayas and trainers. Your options are admittedly limited, continue the Iraqi tour with Kingsbury, or go a little further down to Willesden. As for me? You would think I'd jump on the jubilee line and get myself as far from northwest london as i can (ie ealing) yet I find myself continuing to visit this hub of Iraqi activity and i consistently find myself here. Is it the joy of cruising down the north cirular? My love for Asda? The suprusingly reassuring fuzzy feeling i get from the sight of my fellow iraqis?

No its none of those. Its the multipack of Appelsaft from Lidl for only 47p.
Original post by Sushidelight
Yes walla... :colonhash: :biggrin:

Hahaha, oh Egyptians. The funniest souls on earth! Now moving on...

Kashkisha mat3aridhaash
Original post by Vintage <3
Kashkisha mat3aridhaash

Kashkisha = ????

Mat3aridhaash = I don't appreciate... I think.

I do appreciate, I do! Yet do translate.
Music...

:love::love:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 270
Kurdish (plus Turkish and Syrian ancestry) :borat: Atheist/secularist too :smile:
Kashkisha = ????

Mat3aridhaash = I don't appreciate... I think.

I do appreciate, I do! Yet do translate.

It was something that the guy from zakia zakariya always said
I'm Arab.

I swear you said you weren't arab earlier in this thread. :confused:
Just to make it clear the borders of the middle east are Egypt, Turkey and Iran. Anything further is NOT in the middle east geographically though culture may be similiar such as the arab north african coast.
Music...

:love::love:

Still waiting for habibna Jad's (?) new single. Seriously waiting to see something to rival Funky Arabs, poor man has set the bar too high this time.
:smile:
Original post by Retrospect
Still waiting for habibna Jad's (?) new single. Seriously waiting to see something to rival Funky Arabs, poor man has set the bar too high this time.

Haha. Oh yes, the anticipation is killing me. :biggrin:

misspalestine4eva
1 month ago
its kinda sad that a? lot of people in the arab world arent huge fans of Jad Choueiri I mean hes just tryin 2 bring some american inspired music to the middle east LOVEEEEE YOUUUUUUUUUUUU JADDDDDDDDDDD BEHEBEK MOOT LOOOOL

:closedeyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
:smile:

Haha. Oh yes, the anticipation is killing me. :biggrin:

:closedeyes:

#
lebanalrach
5 days ago

WooooW, Discoooooo, Alcoholllllll and 3argillllle :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:? also the boring arabs should be modern!!!!
Original post by Retrospect
#
lebanalrach
5 days ago

WooooW, Discoooooo, Alcoholllllll and 3argillllle :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:? also the boring arabs should be modern!!!!

Oh dear.

Oh dear.

Eugh, I can't believe people think he's good looking. He's not remotely attractive at all.

The music in this song is blatantly arabic. I was trying to work out why I liked it and then I realised I'd heard it before... (ignore the singing)

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 279
Anyone else watching the japs kick our butts? I've been yelling at the tv but it's not working.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending