The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9940
Original post by IQ Test
I achieved 5A*s and 7.5As (the half A being a short course). I want to apply to study chemistry: would these results be acceptable?

(A*s: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Resistant Materials and English Language).

Yes, they're fine. Be aware that there's quite a lot of maths in the first year at Oxford. (So taking FM would probably be a good idea if you can / if you aren't now set on taking philosophy.)
Reply 9941
Original post by alipally94
any thoughts?

Your GCSEs are fine and good AS scores will be a bonus at Oxford, even if they're not weighted as much as at Cambridge. (Make sure they're mentioned in your reference.) You shouldn't apply to Cambridge if you don't like it.

Original post by Tsunami2011
Is nobody else sceptical? 100% in 3 extremely subjective subjects seem abit odd.

It's not unheard of.
Original post by BJack
Your GCSEs are fine and good AS scores will be a bonus at Oxford, even if they're not weighted as much as at Cambridge. (Make sure they're mentioned in your reference.) You shouldn't apply to Cambridge if you don't like it.

Sorry to ask, but will the OP require their AS grades be mentioned in their reference even though we have to declare them on our ucas this year, (more likely if you go to a state school). Do we have the option of not declaring these AS grades. And do oxford look at these AS grades on our UCAS form, but even if they do, would excellent (and reliable) predicted grades at A2 outweigh less than satisfactory AS grades? Sorry for all the questions, you just seem kind of knowledgeable :colondollar:
Reply 9943
Original post by The Mr Z
You'll be considered by Oxford for any subject, but they're the bare minimum for medicine and fairly average for other subjects. Obviously, as stated many times before, good performance on the aptitude tests can overcome average GCSEs easily.

For Cambridge, fine, they don't care much for your GCSEs, it will be dependant largely on you AS module marks.

They wont hinder you, except perhaps for Oxford medicine, but you still need to do well at your AS levels/aptitude tests to be able to put in a good application.
You didn't think it really came down to GCSE grades did you?

I didn't think that at all. I just know that GCSEs may give you that slight advantage over others but what matters are generally the other factors such as AS and other tests. I was just asking what my GCSE grades would be seen as from an Oxbridge point of view. No need to be condescending with that last line.
Reply 9944
Hi, any chance for oxford medicine, gcses 8.5a*s 3 as 2 distinctions, and a in fsmq add maths, and 5 as at as-level, in maths, f maths, bio, chem, and physics.

Thanks
Original post by whilock
Hi, any chance for oxford medicine, gcses 8.5a*s 3 as 2 distinctions, and a in fsmq add maths, and 5 as at as-level, in maths, f maths, bio, chem, and physics.

Thanks

GCSEs are lower than average, but you'd stand a chance. You'd need a good (by oxford standard) BMAT to get an interview, and then it comes down to the interview to see if you get in.

EDIT: in case anyone is confused by the neg, what i say is true for medicine.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9946
Prior to getting my AS results for which is was predicted straight A'S in Chem, Maths, History and Economics, i was thinking of applying to Oxford for law. Unfortunately i got 2A's a B and C and my GCSE's were 5A* 6A's, however, i am fairly certain that i will be predicted 3A's at A-level or with abit a luck one will be an A* is there any point in applying anymore, seen as Oxford not like retakes??
(edited 12 years ago)
So, for this guy...applying to Cambridge will be easier than applying Oxford as long as he doesn't apply to one of the 4 or 5 most competitive or popular colleges (remember, the pooling system at Cambridge is TERRIBLE!!!!!)

Any comments for Jesus college, regarding its competitiveness?

Any further thoughts OP?

Very relieved to hear people emphasise the advantage of Cambridge :smile:
I felt quite uncomfortable when feeling I had to switch my application to Oxford due to my situation.

I guess I just naively wish people could actually think about where they want to go rather than having to play the numbers games with various universities.

I think people think about where they want to go, THEN play the 'numbers game' :biggrin:
Which is important, otherwise it may just be wishful thinking!
Reply 9948
Original post by humblemumble
Sorry to ask, but will the OP require their AS grades be mentioned in their reference even though we have to declare them on our ucas this year, (more likely if you go to a state school). Do we have the option of not declaring these AS grades. And do oxford look at these AS grades on our UCAS form, but even if they do, would excellent (and reliable) predicted grades at A2 outweigh less than satisfactory AS grades? Sorry for all the questions, you just seem kind of knowledgeable :colondollar:

Since the changes mean you have to declare AS grades, not module scores, the high module scores would still go on the reference. If you have other questions about the UCAS process, you'd be better-off asking directly in the UCAS forum. (This thread in particular seems relevant.)

The tutors assessing your application will use all the information they have, including AS results and A2 predictions. They will probably draw their own conclusions about your likely performance at A2 based on your prior results, including AS grades, so unrealistic predictions won't be of much help to you. When you say "less than satisfactory AS grades", what were they? I see you're sitting on AABB at the moment and hoping to go up; is that a mix of A and B modules?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by nexttime
Maybe, i guess. I just thought that if you have to teach twice as many people you are going to have twice as many staff (or at least staff that have greater responsibility for undergraduates). :dontknow: I mean, don't college like Emma have like 20 medics? Are they all still handled by just a couple of staff? Yeah this is kind of irrelevant though.

They have more supervisors, but I think that there's still a relatively small number of people actually involved in interviewing and decision making.

nexttime
We're disagreeing over that ^ :wink: I think the OP has a much better chance for Cambridge.

True, but i think most people would happily study medicine at even their least preferred university in the country! If you're truly wanting to study medicine, i think you should at least consider the numbers.

In this specific case, there doesn't seem to be much preference either way though.

Meh, I'm not convinced either way, in this case.
Reply 9950
Original post by yahhhhhh
Prior to getting my AS results for which is was predicted straight A'S in Chem, Maths, History and Economics, i was thinking of applying to Oxford for law. Unfortunately i got 2A's a B and C and my GCSE's were 5A* 6A's, however, i am fairly certain that i will be predicted 3A's at A-level or with abit a luck one will be an A* is there any point in applying anymore, seen as Oxford not like retakes??

Oxford are keen on their admissions tests, so if you perform well on that you should get an interview. With five choices, I would definitely still apply to Oxford! :u:
This thread has just reached 10,000 posts so I've now closed it. New thread to come shortly. :smile:

Edit: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1760892
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending