The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

Not done this myself, so I can only advise based upon other peoples experiences.

Campbell Harris seems to be recommended as cheap. They seem to need to be emailed for prices.
http://www.campbellharris.co.uk/Content.asp?ID=18

Another one is the David Game College, listed prices are on the below link.
http://www.davidgame-group.com/tutors-and-exams/external-candidates.html

Apparently Ealing College Upper School is another option, cant find a relevent link though.

Check out:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1213659
Reply 2
Thank you
Reply 3
Original post by Tabby10
Just kind of hoping everyone could throw some names/websites out for me please.
I want to take aqa sociology and aqa business studies units. if any of you know of an exam centre that does not have extortionate rates I'd be eternally grateful...:colondollar:

I don't know what you would regard as cheap, but Campbell Harris is expensive, don't know about the others. My local centre (not near London) charges £25 a unit but I suspect you'd be lucky to get away with £40.

You could try looking at the list AQA produces of centre who have said they are prepared to consider private candidates:
http://store.aqa.org.uk/admin/library/AQA-PRIVCAND-CENTRES.PDF
and try ringing round and asking.
Reply 4
guys ive been bashing my head against the wall looking for somewhere ti sit a level biology and gcse maths, and the ones ive found are a total rip off or dont do it.

i finally found one with good prices,
they dont do practicals but you can sit all the exams here and go somewhere else for the practical sciences,

for AS biology 2 units £56.10
for A2 biology 2 units also £56.10

and for any GCSE subject its only £65.30

Cheap as chips compared to everywhere else
Kidbrooke School/Corelli college.
Richard Cleall
Exams Officer
Corelli College
Corelli Road
LONDON SE3 8EP

Pascals college want as much as £600 all together for the AS + A2 in sciences including the practical. so im going to do the exams with Kidbrook/corelli and if i cant find somewhere cheaper for the practical its £150 each for the 2 practicals with Pascals.
Although Ealing College may be doing the practicals if their refurbishments are done on time they charge £100 each and told me to call back end of october to find out.

Hope this helps
Reply 5
North London College are pretty cheap and do practicals too I believe.
Reply 6
yes northlondon college:

£25 per unit

They do coursework for GCSE's so they may do it for A levels.
Reply 7
Ealing Independent College
Reply 8
Original post by Alexgadgetman
Hi,

Not done this myself, so I can only advise based upon other peoples experiences.

Campbell Harris seems to be recommended as cheap. They seem to need to be emailed for prices.

I've just emailed them but is there a date that you have to get your entry in?
Reply 9
Original post by Alexgadgetman
Hi,

I wouldn't call £55 per unit (6 units ) & £70 per unit (4 units). Prices are found on the registration form.

AS/A2 (6 unit qualifications) ~ £55 per unit; late fee ~ £60-£80 per unit; very late fee ~ £95-£120 per unit; AS/A2 (4 unit qualifications) ~ £70 per unit; late fee ~ £75-£105 per unit; very late fee ~ £115-£150 per unit. AS/A2 (2 unit qualifications) fee ~ £120 per unit; late fee ~ £165-£180; very late fee ~ £200 -£220. ORAL Exams ~ £75 supplement per AS/A2 unit. Additional fees apply for AS/A2 Science practical courses (Edexcel only) - please enquire.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by dg2009
I wouldn't call £55 per unit (6 units ) & £70 per unit (4 units). Prices are found on the registration form.

AS/A2 (6 unit qualifications) ~ £55 per unit; late fee ~ £60-£80 per unit; very late fee ~ £95-£120 per unit; AS/A2 (4 unit qualifications) ~ £70 per unit; late fee ~ £75-£105 per unit; very late fee ~ £115-£150 per unit. AS/A2 (2 unit qualifications) fee ~ £120 per unit; late fee ~ £165-£180; very late fee ~ £200 -£220. ORAL Exams ~ £75 supplement per AS/A2 unit. Additional fees apply for AS/A2 Science practical courses (Edexcel only) - please enquire.

My I.T exam is made up of 2 units a 40% CW and 60% written which I want to sit with them does that mean I would have to pay £120?

Nvm David game is actually cheaper then Campbell Harris
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
No, according to the previous post, 4 unit subjects are £70 per unit- £140 for 2.

However, it may cost more for coursework units, or they may not be able to accept you as they would be unable to authenticate the work as yours. There are some IT syllabuses that are not open to private candidates for this reason.

The exam board entry deadline for January is 21 October.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
Ealing Independent College

thanks a bunch, for anyone who's interested:

they do before october 14th: £70 per unit
15th october to 25th november: £125 per unit
25th november to 10th december: £160 per unit
and there is a £10 cash-in fee per subject for any of you fellow re-sitters out there
phone number: 0208 579 6668
Reply 13
I got my units for 40 quid a unit, with a 90 sitting fee :smile: But not in london haha
Original post by LeighLeigh
guys ive been bashing my head against the wall looking for somewhere ti sit a level biology and gcse maths, and the ones ive found are a total rip off or dont do it.

they dont do practicals but you can sit all the exams here and go somewhere else for the practical sciences,

Richard Cleall
Exams Officer
Corelli College
Corelli Road
LONDON SE3 8EP

Pascals college want as much as £600 all together for the AS + A2 in sciences including the practical. so im going to do the exams with Kidbrook/corelli and if i cant find somewhere cheaper for the practical its £150 each for the 2 practicals with Pascals.
Although Ealing College may be doing the practicals if their refurbishments are done on time they charge £100 each and told me to call back end of october to find out.

Hope this helps

Thanks for this!
I just called them up at they said its about £48 for an Economics A2 (unit 4) retake in jan. Pretty much half price as anywhere else!

Anyone else looking to do retakes - Corelli College takes entrants up to 18th Oct!
You could try Vista Business College, VBCollege.co.uk

We are based in Hounslow. I know that we except private candidates for A level examinations. I believe it is £60 a paper with no other fee unless late registration. Try phone us on 020 8538 0220.
Reply 16
Original post by unknown681
Thanks for this!
I just called them up at they said its about £48 for an Economics A2 (unit 4) retake in jan. Pretty much half price as anywhere else!

Anyone else looking to do retakes - Corelli College takes entrants up to 18th Oct!

Could you please tell me what it was like i.e. the room size and number of other private candidate thank you
Original post by Helpfulteacher
You could try Vista Business College, VBCollege.co.uk

We are based in Hounslow. I know that we except private candidates for A level examinations. I believe it is £60 a paper with no other fee unless late registration. Try phone us on 020 8538 0220.

& you are a teacher? Good heavens!
Original post by LeighLeigh

Richard Cleall
Exams Officer
Corelli College
Corelli Road
LONDON SE3 8EP

Hope this helps

Hey, how did you contact them and arrange your exam registration? Also, where did you end up sitting your practical exams? Thank you :smile:
Reply 19
email Richard Cleall on [email protected]

For practicals try Oakheights @ £65 each.

Latest