The Student Room Group

TSR Squash

Scroll to see replies

Played for an year
Dunlop Comp
2/3 times a week
Ramy Ashour,,,, Jansher/Jahangir
Participant...
Wow guys! Thread seems to have a little interest. Haven't checked back for a while :\ Well, about me and my squash :P

Played for: Not long, about 10 weeks.
Racket: 188g Prince Force 3 Lumina. £15 first racket. xD
I play: Once a week on a Saturday. Occasionally twice a week if I have a 1 to 1 lesson.
Favourite player: God knows.. So many players with brilliant skill.
Tournaments: I don't play competitively yet. Due to not playing that long. Might join league when I improve some more.

Keep the squash talk going guys! Hope you had a great Christmas!
Reply 22
Good to see some activity here :smile:
Original post by joy12

Original post by joy12
Good to see some activity here :smile:

4 weeks ago mind you...
Reply 24
Guys I need some help in figuring out on how the point system works
for example http://www.psa-squash.com/
nick matthew has 13000 points so how many points for winning and how many points are deducted for losing?
Reply 25
Total points depends on the event, and the amount a player accumulates is divided by the amount of events they've played in over the past 52 weeks to give that figure. Nick Matthew got 2015 points for winning a tournament the other day, but looks like he's got as little as 875 for winning others. You can click on an individual player on this list to get more info on where their points have come from:

http://www.psaworldtour.com/page/WorldRankings/0,,13121,00.html#

Hope that helps!
How do you know when you need a new racket?
Original post by Mr Bee
How do you know when you need a new racket?

When it breaks...

Serious answer: When the raquet is holding your playing ability back. Due to the subjective nature where players blame the raquet for their failings, it's probably best to ask your coach or some experienced squash player to tell you.

I'm certainly no squash expert but it's just my thoughts.
Reply 28
I have a £30 racquet, and I honestly can't imagine what difference a £200 racquet would make. Its not like I've ever lost a point and thought "oh that was the racquet's fault I hit the ball into the tin".
I agree, I mean, mine was £15 and it's 188g, thing is, I'm used to me now, so it kinda feels light. But, when I play with a 130g racket, it feels beautiful :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by py0alb
I have a £30 racquet, and I honestly can't imagine what difference a £200 racquet would make. Its not like I've ever lost a point and thought "oh that was the racquet's fault I hit the ball into the tin".

Isn't that a bit similar to saying "Oh well it's not like if it was the car's fault I drove off the race track". No, it wasn't, but you could still drive quicker with a better car. And I would assume you can hit harder and more precise shots with a better racket.

For the record I also have a £30 pound racket!
Reply 31
Original post by tface
Isn't that a bit similar to saying "Oh well it's not like if it was the car's fault I drove off the race track". No, it wasn't, but you could still drive quicker with a better car. And I would assume you can hit harder and more precise shots with a better racket.

For the record I also have a £30 pound racket!

I can easily imagine the racing advantage of having a faster car. But a squash racquet that hits the ball harder? Not really. How much harder do I need to hit the ball? I can already easily drive it on a length into the back corners with the racquet I have, any harder and it wouldn't be a better shot, it would be worse.
Reply 32
In terms of a squash racquet hitting a ball harder, doesn't really make sense. However, the lighter the racquet, will give YOU the ability to hit the ball harder.usually the cheaper racquets of today, are not as well developed as the more expensive ones obviously..
The more expensive racquets of today tend to be more head-light giving you a better chance to attack the ball therefore leading to the harder shots being played.
Reply 33
Original post by Hazz1
In terms of a squash racquet hitting a ball harder, doesn't really make sense. However, the lighter the racquet, will give YOU the ability to hit the ball harder.usually the cheaper racquets of today, are not as well developed as the more expensive ones obviously..
The more expensive racquets of today tend to be more head-light giving you a better chance to attack the ball therefore leading to the harder shots being played.

So you're saying that expensive racquets are for people without the strength to hit the ball hard with a cheap racquet, kinda like how fancy graphite golf clubs are designed for women and old men, but no pro or decent amateur would be seen dead with them?

I think I get it: the better the raqcuet = the worse the player.
Reply 34
Original post by py0alb
So you're saying that expensive racquets are for people without the strength to hit the ball hard with a cheap racquet, kinda like how fancy graphite golf clubs are designed for women and old men, but no pro or decent amateur would be seen dead with them?

It is not like your example. Golf isn't anywhere near as physically draining as squash. When you're playing a 5 setter and absolutely knackered, having those few extra less grams makes it a lot easier to play with good technique and ultimately get a better quality shot. You also get better touch from a more expensive racket, although the quality of the strings makes a huge impact on this.
Reply 35
Original post by Doughnut
It is not like your example. Golf isn't anywhere near as physically draining as squash. When you're playing a 5 setter and absolutely knackered, having those few extra less grams makes it a lot easier to play with good technique and ultimately get a better quality shot. You also get better touch from a more expensive racket, although the quality of the strings makes a huge impact on this.

So we're back to the idea that they're lightweight racquets for weak/unfit people.

What is "better touch"? How would I know if the racquet I have has "bad touch"?
Reply 36
Original post by py0alb
So we're back to the idea that they're lightweight racquets for weak/unfit people.

What is "better touch"? How would I know if the racquet I have has "bad touch"?

'touch' is something that's hard to explain. When you play a drop shot, with a good racket (and strings) you can 'feel' the ball. You can feel how much you're slicing it, exactly where its going etc. On the other hand, with a cheap racket it can be very hard to judge where the balls going, where exactly it hit on the racket face and how much you've cut the ball. It's quite hard to put into words but if you were to go practice drops with both a poor and good quality racket you'd see what I mean.

The idea is that lightweight rackets are for unfit people is just not true, I think this website explains it better than I could!
http://www.squashtalk.com/html/whatsqu/racquet1.htm
Reply 37
Original post by Doughnut
'touch' is something that's hard to explain. When you play a drop shot, with a good racket (and strings) you can 'feel' the ball. You can feel how much you're slicing it, exactly where its going etc. On the other hand, with a cheap racket it can be very hard to judge where the balls going, where exactly it hit on the racket face and how much you've cut the ball. It's quite hard to put into words but if you were to go practice drops with both a poor and good quality racket you'd see what I mean.

The idea is that lightweight rackets are for unfit people is just not true, I think this website explains it better than I could!
http://www.squashtalk.com/html/whatsqu/racquet1.htm

Meh. I feel like I can "feel" the ball perfectly well with my racquet. I've certainly never been surprised as to where it has ended up. Its all a big con, I bet most squash players couldn't tell the difference between a cheap racquet and an expensive racquet in a blind test.
Reply 38
At least with golf there's a discernible difference between equipment: this driver hits the ball 20 yards further than this one etc. But with squash, its all subjective and nebulous rubbish like "touch" and "feel" that may or may not have something to do with the racquet.
Reply 39
Original post by py0alb

I didn't say that? I said the racquet is lighter? Meaning headlight...:/
Therefore you would be able to hit a harder shot.... I do understand the point your trying to make.... In a sense your right, because these so called cheaper racquets were once the 'expensive' racquets...
But at the end of the day, the more expensive racquets are usually better than the older versions.

And I don't know if you have ever been to an actual squash event but maybe an 'actual' profesional would be able to change your mind..
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest