The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Supermerp
I don't have anything useful to contribute but hopefully they're not Argentine ants.

Holy cow that is horrible!
Original post by alex_hk90
PS: In the spirit of asking random questions in CamChat, does anyone know of an effective way of dealing with an ant invasion? They're just small black ants which I think are coming through the large patio-style window/door thing I have in my bedroom but I'd like to stop them before they encroach too far into my apartment.

Vacuum them up and then clean where they are coming in with disinfectant. Then they'll have to find their own way back in, as they are guided by pheromone trails. The disinfectant should clean them up.

PS: In the spirit of asking random questions in CamChat, does anyone know of an effective way of dealing with an ant invasion? They're just small black ants which I think are coming through the large patio-style window/door thing I have in my bedroom but I'd like to stop them before they encroach too far into my apartment.

There's only one thing to do: learn the language of the ants, earn their trust, breed with their women, and in time, your differences will be forgotten.

/FamilyGuy
:lol:
Reply 7804
Original post by Crazy_emz
Best of luck for your appointment! Let me know when you've time to come round and have tea :smile:

Oh, you'll be pleased to know that I've finally discovered Pottermore...no revision getting done here :tongue:

Alas still no news!! Still need another test which I still don't have an appointment for, and I go back to the cardiologist in August when hopefully they'll decide what if anything is wrong with me. *Sigh* So it'll be more than a year of waiting. ARRRRGGGG.

Another thing, why is soy yoghurt so yummy and soy milk so icky?!
Original post by smilepea

Another thing, why is soy yoghurt so yummy and soy milk so icky?!

Depends whether you're referring to flavoured or unflavoured soya yoghurt.
Reply 7806
Original post by Craghyrax
Depends whether you're referring to flavoured or unflavoured soya yoghurt.

Unflavoured and unsweetened. I thought it would be ok :frown:
Unflavoured and unsweetened. I thought it would be ok :frown:

One is used to yoghurt tasting tart, but we expect milk to be bland and mild.

If I were you I'd avoid soy altogether. Its high in omega 6 fat, which is associated with a lot of health problems in the west. If you're lactose or caseine intolerant then try goat milk! It tastes a bit odd if you drink it straight, but when you put it in tea or coffee its considerably nicer than soy milk!
Reply 7808
One is used to yoghurt tasting tart, but we expect milk to be bland and mild.

If I were you I'd avoid soy altogether. Its high in omega 6 fat, which is associated with a lot of health problems in the west. If you're lactose or caseine intolerant then try goat milk! It tastes a bit odd if you drink it straight, but when you put it in tea or coffee its considerably nicer than soy milk!

Nah I just fancied something other than cows milk, I'm not a fan of goats milk, it tastes too much like drinking goats cheese to me (my grandma has it as she can't have cows milk)
Nah I just fancied something other than cows milk, I'm not a fan of goats milk, it tastes too much like drinking goats cheese to me (my grandma has it as she can't have cows milk)

I love goat's cheese! However I don't like drinking goat's milk. Then again I don't drink milk on its own anyway. You really don't notice the goatiness when its in tea or coffee though! Which is very counterintuitive.
Reply 7810
I love goat's cheese! However I don't like drinking goat's milk. Then again I don't drink milk on its own anyway. You really don't notice the goatiness when its in tea or coffee though! Which is very counterintuitive.

Yeah I love goats cheese too, but I find goats milk is too strong in tea, I think it's because I react strongly to certain smells, and I find the smell of goats milk particularly pungent.
Yeah I love goats cheese too, but I find goats milk is too strong in tea, I think it's because I react strongly to certain smells, and I find the smell of goats milk particularly pungent.

I bought some sheep's yoghurt the other day. It's divine. Not so strong as goat's yoghurt, different to cows yoghurt, and quite lovely!

Also, I have a bag that you might like. I bought it from a charity shop, but it doesn't fit my purse in it, so it's no use to me. But it is highly colourful and extremely awesome - if you are interested I'll happily give it to you. It looks like this:
SHB013.jpg
Reply 7812
Original post by scarlet ibis
I bought some sheep's yoghurt the other day. It's divine. Not so strong as goat's yoghurt, different to cows yoghurt, and quite lovely!

Also, I have a bag that you might like. I bought it from a charity shop, but it doesn't fit my purse in it, so it's no use to me. But it is highly colourful and extremely awesome - if you are interested I'll happily give it to you. It looks like this:
SHB013.jpg

Oh that does look awesome, and thank you very much for the offer, but I won't have any use for it (I tend to have just a few bags and use them for all occasions otherwise I leave things in other bags and loose them! I once lost an eyeliner in a bag for about a year :s-smilie:)
Oh that does look awesome, and thank you very much for the offer, but I won't have any use for it (I tend to have just a few bags and use them for all occasions otherwise I leave things in other bags and loose them! I once lost an eyeliner in a bag for about a year :s-smilie:)

Ah, no worries :smile: I will just give it to Oxfam in that case! (unless anyone else wants it?)
Huh? How do they get away with that? :confused: In my day all SOC students had to study SOC1 and SOC2. Unless they were Soc-Psych, and then they did SOC1 with a PSY paper.

Anyway, yes it was SOC2, but unfortunately I can't help you. Not only was it my worst paper (only got 65 for it), but I also don't actually take or use notes. My 'notes' consist of typing up quotes directly from my reading that particularly capture a point or idea well. I don't make any other kind of notes for myself. When I revised I always just reread the essays and quotes and then I would always just do new reading, because otherwise revision was too boring for me to make myself do it. And practice papers, of course.
Furthermore, with SOC2 my 'note taking' was worse than usual. Usually I'd offer to send supervision essays, but my essays for that paper were dire because the penny only dropped for me during revision.

I seem to recall that Dr King wrote good handouts. Do you have those? I'm surprised he's still teaching. I thought he was retiring or leaving.

Oh I do Psych/Soc, but now you can choose which Soc paper you take.

And 65 sounds like a perfectly good mark to me haha, thanks anyway! :p: I've got his lecture notes, but it's always handy to have extra view points etc, that's one thing I wish we had more of in PPS, group supervisions!
Original post by ArchedEdge
Oh I do Psych/Soc, but now you can choose which Soc paper you take.

And 65 sounds like a perfectly good mark to me haha, thanks anyway! :p: I've got his lecture notes, but it's always handy to have extra view points etc, that's one thing I wish we had more of in PPS, group supervisions!

That's not a bad complaint to have. In my final year at Cambridge I read a Varsity article which said that the Economics department was in such financial difficulty that people shared supervisions with 6 :eek:

I'm surprised that you don't have enough group involvement, to be honest. When I did Dr King's class, there were only about 10-15 of us, so we tended to converse quite freely together in the lecture. By final year most of my Sociology papers were classes of 10-20 with a similarly casual and interactive feel :smile: Its something I really enjoyed about being in the department.

Anyway, my opinions were pretty much the same as Dr King's, so I'm afraid I'm not a useful source of alternative opinions. If you were doing SOC1 that would be different... I'm obsessed with theory.
(edited 12 years ago)
That's not a bad complaint to have. In my final year at Cambridge I read a Varsity article which said that the Economics department was in such financial difficulty that people shared supervisions with 6 :eek:

Indeed, I think I preferred individual supervisors, though small groups (2-4) could also be good for some topics. I never had more than 4 in a group (and usually only 2) - I think it was one of the less technical papers that were struggling for supervisors (Industry or something, which after my awful 2nd year lectures I wasn't going to touch).
Indeed, I think I preferred individual supervisors, though small groups (2-4) could also be good for some topics. I never had more than 4 in a group (and usually only 2) - I think it was one of the less technical papers that were struggling for supervisors (Industry or something, which after my awful 2nd year lectures I wasn't going to touch).

I would have thought they could have at least found PhD students for it. They're often perfectly alright as supervisors!

And I had a fair few group supervisions in my first year - possibly because Peterhouse really doesn't 'do' PPS, so we were always thrown in with people from other colleges. Fortunately from second year onwards it was mostly one-one, and occasionally two-one which I far preferred! But we all know that's because I'm a chatterbox :wink: And some students can be really annoying in supervisions! I got so fed up of other people not doing any work and just waiting for me to do all the talking/answer all the questions. Either that or they were competitive. When it was just one-one I could relax a bit more.

I'm surprised that you don't have enough group involvement, to be honest. When I did Dr King's class, there were only about 10-15 of us, so we tended to converse quite freely together in the lecture. By final year most of my Sociology papers were classes of 10-20 with a similarly casual and interactive feel :smile: Its something I really enjoyed about being in the department.

Anyway, my opinions were pretty much the same as Dr King's, so I'm afraid I'm not a useful source of alternative opinions. If you were doing SOC1 that would be different... I'm obsessed with theory.

Haha ok 6 is a bit much, just that I had pretty much my entire first year as 1 on 1s, and even the occasional paired group with the supervisor was great!

And we did have that sort of feel, but it was quite intimidating the way he would just sit down and expect us all to talk about his lecture notes, especially as for a group of us, there weren't that many "talkative" or inquisitive students. so lectures would inevitably just be a repeat of his lecture notes rather than a large scale supervision.
I would have thought they could have at least found PhD students for it. They're often perfectly alright as supervisors!

Oddly I don't think Economics uses PhD students much as supervisors - all my supervisors were Fellows. :dontknow:

And I had a fair few group supervisions in my first year - possibly because Peterhouse really doesn't 'do' PPS, so we were always thrown in with people from other colleges. Fortunately from second year onwards it was mostly one-one, and occasionally two-one which I far preferred! But we all know that's because I'm a chatterbox :wink: And some students can be really annoying in supervisions! I got so fed up of other people not doing any work and just waiting for me to do all the talking/answer all the questions. Either that or they were competitive. When it was just one-one I could relax a bit more.

I never had any problems with annoying students - the other economists in my college (who I had the majority of my supervisions with) were all great, they did all the work and weren't afraid to contribute to the discussion. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending