The Student Room Group

Going from shaving to waxing, any advice?

I currently shave my legs, however I was want to change to waxing. Can anybody give any advice on products, like, which might be best to use. Even personal experiences with waxing would also be nice to hear :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kirstyoneil
I currently shave my legs, however I was want to change to waxing. Can anybody give any advice on products, like, which might be best to use. Even personal experiences with waxing would also be nice to hear :smile:

Have to be honest and say I've never had much luck with home waxing, but generally hot wax tends to give better results than cold. Nair and Nads both do warm wax pots which you put in the microwave and are pretty easy. Maybe give them a try?
no johnny
Reply 3
Original post by fleur de lis
Have to be honest and say I've never had much luck with home waxing, but generally hot wax tends to give better results than cold. Nair and Nads both do warm wax pots which you put in the microwave and are pretty easy. Maybe give them a try?

Thanks, I will do :smile:
Veet hot oriental wax. Amazing stuff. :smile: About £9 in Boots and Superdrug. Used it on my bikini area for the first time after several professional waxes (after no previous experience of waxing myself) and it was so easy to use and did an amazing job. Smooth for ages! Couldn't recommend it more. :smile:
I've been using veet wax strips for about 4 years now, and they're marvellous!! I used to shave my legs and they used to grow back within 2-3 days and I got sick of it, however after sticking to waxing not only are my legs a lot less hair - the hair grows in random patches so you can barely tell but I only have to wax them about once a month!
However, I've just discovered the veet easy wax electrical roll on and it is a god send!! I get the same results as a salon wax, no pain or anything. My friend tried to use it and didn't have much luck though, so maybe because I'm so used to waxing that I don't find it difficult to use.

But switching from shaving to waxing will be one of the best decisions you make :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by TotallyAddictedToBass
I've been using veet wax strips for about 4 years now, and they're marvellous!! I used to shave my legs and they used to grow back within 2-3 days and I got sick of it, however after sticking to waxing not only are my legs a lot less hair - the hair grows in random patches so you can barely tell but I only have to wax them about once a month!
However, I've just discovered the veet easy wax electrical roll on and it is a god send!! I get the same results as a salon wax, no pain or anything. My friend tried to use it and didn't have much luck though, so maybe because I'm so used to waxing that I don't find it difficult to use.

But switching from shaving to waxing will be one of the best decisions you make :smile:

I'm also thinking about switching from shaving to waxing. What kind of Veet wax strips do you use? Have you tried a few different kinds or have you always stuck to using the same ones? :grin:
Original post by Nfergs
I'm also thinking about switching from shaving to waxing. What kind of Veet wax strips do you use? Have you tried a few different kinds or have you always stuck to using the same ones? :grin:

Awesome :smile: I started off trying boots own brand wax strips and those cheap Miss wax/wax away ones and they were rubbish, the wax would stay stuck to my skin and patches would come off so don't bother with those.

I've also tried nair and they're fine and you can sometimes find them in pound shops (same as veet, just be on the lookout!) so they're not too pricey. But veet are the best quality I've found, and they don't smell foul or leave a residue on your skin, and they come with finishing wipes.

I use the pink strips, which have like a berry fragrance, but there's a blue pack for sensitive skin and a dark red/maroony pack which has another smell (that gets a bit sickly for me).

I've also tried the heat up microwave pot waxes by both veet and nair, and they're just too messy for me, I end up getting wax everywhere. But with hot wax you tend to feel less pain.

Hope that helps! :smile:
Waxing is the best thing!! I find it pretty much painless and I go for a hollywood, half leg and underarm (but have only been 4 times). Although this can be expensive if you look around you can get it cheaper (all of mine comes to just £34). Ive used veet strips before but the results wasnt good, plus I dont think i could use them for a hollywood. I would recommended you get it professionally done the first few times, just so you know what to expect pain wise.
Reply 9
Awesome :smile: I started off trying boots own brand wax strips and those cheap Miss wax/wax away ones and they were rubbish, the wax would stay stuck to my skin and patches would come off so don't bother with those.

I've also tried nair and they're fine and you can sometimes find them in pound shops (same as veet, just be on the lookout!) so they're not too pricey. But veet are the best quality I've found, and they don't smell foul or leave a residue on your skin, and they come with finishing wipes.

I use the pink strips, which have like a berry fragrance, but there's a blue pack for sensitive skin and a dark red/maroony pack which has another smell (that gets a bit sickly for me).

I've also tried the heat up microwave pot waxes by both veet and nair, and they're just too messy for me, I end up getting wax everywhere. But with hot wax you tend to feel less pain.

Hope that helps! :smile:

From the reviews and also yours included, it looks like they seem pretty good. Although I don't know if to go for the normal pink ones or the darker/maroon coloured pack which is called Supreme wax strips or something. Which ones have ended up with the best results for you? Plus, do you have any tips for using them, seeing as I've never waxed myself before.
Original post by Nfergs
From the reviews and also yours included, it looks like they seem pretty good. Although I don't know if to go for the normal pink ones or the darker/maroon coloured pack which is called Supreme wax strips or something. Which ones have ended up with the best results for you? Plus, do you have any tips for using them, seeing as I've never waxed myself before.

Have you been waxed before - professionally? If you've never been waxed, doing it yourself might be a bit of a shock! The supreme ones are slightly more moisturising, but If you use the finishing wipes after they both have the same effect, and there's no difference in the end result.

Make sure you warm the strip up properly - rub it between your hands until you can feel it getting hot, and when you peel the strip apart it should separate easily, if it's jerky then it's not warm enough. I always start from the bottom by your ankle, put the strip on and then rub it on your leg downwards in the direction of your hair, and when you pull it up, pull it parallel to the strip really quickly, don't just pull it outwards or it will hurt like a mofo.

Might be best to get a friend/mum/sister/cousin whatever to be there with you and do the first strip for you so you get used to the feeling and you can do it yourself if you feel comfortable enough. :smile:
Reply 11
Have you been waxed before - professionally? If you've never been waxed, doing it yourself might be a bit of a shock! The supreme ones are slightly more moisturising, but If you use the finishing wipes after they both have the same effect, and there's no difference in the end result.

Make sure you warm the strip up properly - rub it between your hands until you can feel it getting hot, and when you peel the strip apart it should separate easily, if it's jerky then it's not warm enough. I always start from the bottom by your ankle, put the strip on and then rub it on your leg downwards in the direction of your hair, and when you pull it up, pull it parallel to the strip really quickly, don't just pull it outwards or it will hurt like a mofo.

Might be best to get a friend/mum/sister/cousin whatever to be there with you and do the first strip for you so you get used to the feeling and you can do it yourself if you feel comfortable enough. :smile:

I've only ever been waxed once before, although not professionally. Thanks for the great advice! So do the same instructions work for both the normal and supreme strips?
I'm getting a hollywood, full leg and armpit wax in a couple of weeks for the first time in a salon. Can someone tell me if I need to prepare in anyway, how long do I leave the hair to grow? Do I need to..trim? :l Exfoliate? etc. My hair grows back quite quickly
Original post by Nfergs
I've only ever been waxed once before, although not professionally. Thanks for the great advice! So do the same instructions work for both the normal and supreme strips?

Okay, no worries :smile: and yep, the only difference between the 2 is that the supreme ones have more moisturiser in them and a different fragrance but they're both the same!
Reply 14

I will definitely try some veet wax strips then, thanks! :smile:
Original post by senator88
I'm getting a hollywood, full leg and armpit wax in a couple of weeks for the first time in a salon. Can someone tell me if I need to prepare in anyway, how long do I leave the hair to grow? Do I need to..trim? :l Exfoliate? etc. My hair grows back quite quickly

Trim a little bit but not so it's too short because the wax strips need to be able to pull it out properly and I'd say take some painkillers before hand haha, I had some Ibuprofen. Would be useful to exfoliate because that'll get rid of any dead skin sells but don't be too harsh or you'd make your skin feel too sensitive and the waxing would hurt more.
Reply 16
How long should hair be before waxing?
Original post by Nfergs
How long should hair be before waxing?

Well my Veet package says it grabs hair as short as 2mm but honestly I wouldn't trust the packaging too much since they only want you to buy it because you think you can just start right away. I always wait for a weak or so after I feel the hair growing back to make sure I get everything successfully. :wink:
Reply 18
Original post by honeycakefairy
Well my Veet package says it grabs hair as short as 2mm but honestly I wouldn't trust the packaging too much since they only want you to buy it because you think you can just start right away. I always wait for a weak or so after I feel the hair growing back to make sure I get everything successfully. :wink:

Yeah, I heard the longer you leave the hair, the better the results should be. It's been a week now although I think I'll wait a few days more. :rolleyes:
Reply 19
Back when I used to wax, I personally found veet wax strips to work just fine for me.

If you are going to use cold strips, remember to first warm them up really well with your hands/hair dryer on low setting, and then after sticking the strip on the skin, rub on it again to warm the wax up further just so it melts enough to get sticky and grip all the hair.

Also, if you have been shaving for long, it will take about 4-5 waxes (that's what it took me) before you get the waxed super smooth results since the hair grows back at different speeds after shaving. it's worth the wait and pain though :smile:

good luck! :smile: I've long since given up waxing (now epilate!) because i couldn't be bothered to wait weeks for the hair to regrow long enough, and was getting expensive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending