The Student Room Group

How early shoud I apply for ma

Hi

I'll graduate in two weeks. I have not apply for the MA (yet) at the uni I would like to go. Am i too late? I've been told the deadline is in August. I would like to apply to UCL.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Monday16
Hi

I'll graduate in two weeks. I have not apply for the MA (yet) at the uni I would like to go. Am i too late? I've been told the deadline is in August. I would like to apply to UCL.

It's a bit late, yes. If applications for the courses you're interested in haven't closed yet, though (if you're unsure, contact the department beforehand), you may still get a place, but getting funding so late is unlikely, because most of the deadlines will have passed.
Reply 2
I'LL be able to pay the fee by myself, so thats not the problem. When should i apply to secure myself a place? March? February?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
I'LL be able to pay the fee by myself, so thats not the problem. When should i apply to secure myself a place? March? February?

Well, if you're graduating in two weeks' time and hope to start your MA this year, you should apply ASAP. If you were planning to take a year out anyway, though, you can give it another six months at least.
Reply 4
YEs, but I'll probably apply for ma in my country, it's a one year course (AND ITS FREE:biggrin:) and then upgrade my education at ucl (if not accepted this year). So i would like to know when should i apply at ucl next year? Is it possible to only submit my ma grades let's say in december and the grade of my final ma thesis in march or april? Or should i submit everything together? I think i'll be able to pass al my exams by December if i work really hard and finish my disertation thesis by march or april. So can i apply in december without my finished disertation thesis?
(edited 11 years ago)
Right so you want to apply for 2013 entry? If the application deadline is August 2013 then you can apply any time before then though the earlier you do it the better. Unis do give conditional offers till you have received all your grades.
Reply 6
What's a conditional offer? We don't have this in my country. You have to submit your application by the deadline and that's it. There's no such thing as conditional offer, i can't apply to uni without all my grades and finished disertation. As i understand conditional offer means there's something missing that's preventing a candidat to be accepted to the uni. So basically they (the uni people) can say no, can give me a conditional offer or they can give me an unconditional offer?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
What's a conditional offer? We don't have this in my country. You have to submit your application by the deadline and that's it. There's no such thing as conditional offer, i can't apply to uni without all my grades and finished disertation. As i understand conditional offer means there's something missing that's preventing a candidat to be accepted to the uni. So basically they (the uni people) can say no, can give me a conditional offer or they can give me an unconditional offer?

I'm a little confused here - are you saying that you're nearly done with your undergraduate degree, you'll be applying for an MA in your country and then applying for another MA at UCL for 2013 entry but only if you're unsuccessful for 2012 entry? What would be the purpose of doing two MAs?

If you want to apply for 2012 entry, then I'd get on with the application if the programme you're applying for isn't already full. If you want to apply for 2013 entry, it's best to be on the safe side and apply as early as you can (as soon as applications open in October/November of this year).

(As for the conditional offer - if you're applying before you graduate the conditions of your offer will be to achieve a certain grade by a certain date for your offer to become unconditional. There might be other requirements as well (English language requirements etc.) included in the conditions of your offer. If you don't meet these requirements, they might still consider allowing you entry but otherwise they reserve the right to reject you.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending