The Student Room Group
Original post by icanshowyoutheworld
Can anyone help me please?
Baring in mind it takes an hour from st Pancras to the tube station near 1:1 venue, do you think it'd be possible to finish a rehersal on a Sunday, and get to the eurostar in two hours?
So including getting on the shuttle bus and waiting, and a tube to st Pancras..
Any help wil be greatfully recieved! Booking my eurostar ticket in an hour n wanna be in Paris as early as possible!
xxx

Some people are leaving rehearsals early - one guy left mine early on Sunday as he had a church commitment for example. You would have to leave at least 15 minutes probably quite a bit longer to get to the tube station from actually leaving 1:1as you normally have to queue for the bus - and then waiting for the tube and the tube journey time and bearing in mind you need to be I think 30 minutes early for Eurostar otherwise you can't get through the barrier etc etc. However leaving early and getting a shuttle bus might be dependent on their being an earlier finishing rehearsal as the buses do not run all the time. You could always phone for a taxi to take you to the tube though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Pinnerite
Well done Terpsikhore! :banana2::banana2::congrats::congrats:
Hopefully there will be a number of TSRites joining you soon!

I hope so! I'm looking forward to meeting some more sambistas.

Phoned them this morning - was paranoid they'd tell me there had been a dreadful mistake and I hadn't been offered a place after all, but instead they just confirmed my offer is for the Olympic ceremony. :wink:

I'm sure at some point in the next 2 months, I'll wipe this stupid smile off my face, but I'm not holding my breath...!
Original post by courieuse
Hi there,
I have been lurking in the background since my November acting audition, then got a a reserve email like so many others.... was soooo disappointed, have abandoned this forum and almost forgot about it

until: TADAAAAAAA!!!!!

Oh congratulations! You have just given our reserves new hope! You must be so happy and relieved that you still have flexibility to join in.

Would be v curious to know date of your Nov rehearsal and date of reserve email if you still know it so I can test a theory.

Well done again!
Original post by icanshowyoutheworld
Can anyone help me please?
Baring in mind it takes an hour from st Pancras to the tube station near 1:1 venue, do you think it'd be possible to finish a rehersal on a Sunday, and get to the eurostar in two hours?
So including getting on the shuttle bus and waiting, and a tube to st Pancras..
Any help wil be greatfully recieved! Booking my eurostar ticket in an hour n wanna be in Paris as early as possible!
xxx

Just a thought (& who knows if this is actually possible but I suspect it may be, timetabling permitting) ............

Would it not be possible for you to use the South Eastern High speed from Stratford to either Ashford International or Ebsfleet International and pick-up the Eurostar service to Paris from there?

See these 3 links (which might help you decide if its feasible for your particular journey or even generally):-

http://highspeed1.co.uk/
http://www.eurostar.com/dynamic/_SvBoTravelFaresSelectTerm?_TMS=1340120661671&_DLG=SvBoTravelFaresSelectTerm&_LANG=UK&_AGENCY=ESTAR
http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/news/latest-news/train-timetables-published-for-london-2012-olympic-and-paralympic-games/

I may, of course, have misunderstood completely !
(edited 11 years ago)
Re press articles - I am quite bemused as the sizeable piece in last night's London Evening Standard was obviously allowed but it did seem very carefully worded.
Also my local paper has featured several locals who are taking part in the ceremonies too. Last week we had a drumming fireman! My daughter and I were both
approached by the local press but declined to be featured.

EG
Something else for London Ambassadors, Games Makers, miscellaneous Olympics volunteers local to Croydon/Sutton to be involved with on 23rd July perhaps (in or out of LA/GM uniform if applicable)?

http://www.croydon.gov.uk/leisure/olympics/olympic-torch/relay-volunteer
Reply 9966
Original post by Flakeydom
Would be v curious to know date of your Nov rehearsal and date of reserve email if you still know it so I can test a theory.

Well done again!
Ohhhh please share your theory!

Congrats to the new cast members and former lurkers. Our family just keeps growing :smile:
Reply 9967
Picked up my accreditation today. I got there literally 3 minutes till closing time. The place was absolutely deserted! I was in and out in under 5 minutes! They didn't even notice that my appointed slot was for next Thursday! I think they wanted to get rid of me as fast as they could so they could all go home! :smile:
Reply 9968
Original post by cornishscot
Something else for London Ambassadors, Games Makers, miscellaneous Olympics volunteers local to Croydon/Sutton to be involved with on 23rd July perhaps (in or out of LA/GM uniform if applicable)?

http://www.croydon.gov.uk/leisure/olympics/olympic-torch/relay-volunteer

thanks for the heads up on the link, have let all my friends on FB know about it, I will be at rehearsals that day :frown:
Original post by 42RAFIKI
Ohhhh please share your theory!

Oh, it's not a new theory by any stretch. It's just the old one we had about whether reserves were being held for a particular segment or not. Since courieuse is now a 44, I wonder if she heard in the batch of reserves that went out just after the rest of the 44s heard. Most of the 44s heard on 16 Jan and then we had reserves on 18 Jan. Possibly not the best to test it with since our other two SUF-Vs heard a week apart in mid-Feb but still...
Congratulations to all those with new offers and "promotions" :biggrin:
Oh congratulations! You have just given our reserves new hope! You must be so happy and relieved that you still have flexibility to join in.

My recall audition was on November 30th and i got the news that I was a reserve at the beginning of February or so. Actually, before I got the actual information that I was a reserve I received the very frustrating message a la 'as we told you weeks ago we don't have any use right now, but why don't you come to an audition for the Paras'. An offer I had to decline as I am having other plans the day of the Para opening.
Most of the ones from my audition here on the forum seemed to have received the same emails, back then... Seems lighyears ago, now.
Thanks courieuse - yes, that ties in with quite a few of those from 30 November who did hear quite late. The acting auditions on 17 and 30 November had the lowest Olympic success rate of any of them (17% and 36% respectively). The majority of the other dates had at least a 50/50.

Still, you are in now which is the main thing!
Reply 9973
Original post by courieuse
My recall audition was on November 30th and i got the news that I was a reserve at the beginning of February or so. Actually, before I got the actual information that I was a reserve I received the very frustrating message a la 'as we told you weeks ago we don't have any use right now, but why don't you come to an audition for the Paras'. An offer I had to decline as I am having other plans the day of the Para opening.
Most of the ones from my audition here on the forum seemed to have received the same emails, back then... Seems lighyears ago, now.

Doesn't it! And yet at the time whilst we waited time passed so slowly!

I also had my recall on the 30th and we're in the same segment. As soon as I got to my 1st rehearsal so much of what we'd had to do in our recall (which at the time I'd thought 'huh??') made sense.
Reply 9974
Thanks courieuse - yes, that ties in with quite a few of those from 30 November who did hear quite late. The acting auditions on 17 and 30 November had the lowest Olympic success rate of any of them (17% and 36% respectively). The majority of the other dates had at least a 50/50.

Still, you are in now which is the main thing!

I wonder if that was because we were being considered for quite small segments?
Epic. Our rehearsal tonight. All drummers should take their earpieces off for a while to enjoy the acoustics in the stadium. Epic.

Also very happy that I will be standing almost directly in front of Her Majesty for quite a long time! :smile:

For those rehearsing in the stadium in the next few days:
Upon entering the park, you will get a brown bag with a sandwich (choices available), and other edibles. The food self-destructs after four hours, a sign suggests ("All food has to be consumed within 4 hours" - or what, I wonder?). Security checks are swift, and the overall walking time from the station is roughly as long as the trek from the tube station to the 1:1 venue. It's an amazing experience, and there are lots of details to discover. Enjoy!
Reply 9976
Original post by commonliner
Epic. Our rehearsal tonight. All drummers should take their earpieces off for a while to enjoy the acoustics in the stadium. Epic.

Also very happy that I will be standing almost directly in front of Her Majesty for quite a long time! :smile:

For those rehearsing in the stadium in the next few days:
Upon entering the park, you will get a brown bag with a sandwich (choices available), and other edibles. The food self-destructs after four hours, a sign suggests ("All food has to be consumed within 4 hours" - or what, I wonder?). Security checks are swift, and the overall walking time from the station is roughly as long as the trek from the tube station to the 1:1 venue. It's an amazing experience, and there are lots of details to discover. Enjoy!

I'm glad I got to hear you guys perform. It was amazing, it sounded so good! :biggrin:
Original post by Drumbeat
on Sunday I saw a guy in a car actually drive into the bus pick up point and showed his badge to the people waiting in line and picked up 3 more passengers and then went off to the 1:1

Looks as if I'll have to resort to that then :frown:
Original post by commonliner

In that case I hope the poor woman brings her ear plugs that she had for the Jubilee Concert. LOL
Original post by Kit-Yan
As soon as I got to my 1st rehearsal so much of what we'd had to do in our recall (which at the time I'd thought 'huh??') made sense.

really!? I loved the recall, Some of the things we did, looked hilarious, especially when we were doing the shoals of fish, i had so much fun! I went home, knowing that even if i did not make it into the show, having attended the recall was a fantastic and inspiring experience in itself. A thought that kept me going all those months!

Now, that you say the recall made sense, I am even more excited. Is it worthwile taking a notebook with me and to make notes about what we are doing, so I won't forget until the next rehearsal?

OMG, I think I am suffering a bout of VPO (Volunteer Performer Overexcitement)

Latest