The Student Room Group

Does the welfare system cause you "huge resentment" ?

Poll

Does the welfare system cause you huge resentment?

According to your PM the welfare system causes huge resentments and therefore requires a fundamental overhaul.

As per here

Vote and discuss.

Scroll to see replies

No, he's just trying to scapegoat the poor for the failure of the government to sort things out.
David Cameron is a moron to be honest.
Reply 3
He's right. Every penny of tax that I ever pay in my life would be sucked up by a single person who has never worked and has no intention of ever working.

There's one political battle that needs to be fought in this country - and that is how long we will carry on paying people to not work.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
I have a strong dislike to people who just use it because it's there and they don't even really need it, like they have 7 kids and have all the child benefits for them as well as claiming job seekers and disability allowance and housing allowance and whatever else they can get and then use the excuse that "it's so easy to get it, we might as well use it"

I know someone who has a 50" TV, Sky+, Xbox's for each child and laptops for all of them. My parents have always been working, I only ever really see them one day a week because I have college and work, and we can't afford sky or a massive tv or anything like that, yet we still have to pay so other people can have them even though they don't bother applying for jobs or trying to get some because they know they can get more money from benefits.

I struggle to pay for the bus to college for a year (£500 for a 24m round journey a day) and I won't get any help because our income is more than the threshold needed to get support, but yet someone who's parents choose not to work only have to pay around £200.

Some people who actually need to benefits are getting turned down because some people who have nothing wrong with them just choose not to work and take people who work for a livings money. Really annoys me.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 5
Some people who actually need to benefits are getting turned down because some people who have nothing wrong with them just choose not to work and take people who work for a livings money. Really annoys me.

Have to agree with Shmiley on this one. Admittedly this is not the end of the world as we know it, but it is a big issue nonetheless. The reason a lot of people feel resentment about benefits is that they are too easy to claim for people who do not even try to find work. Nobody resents those who genuinely need benefits, but we do resent people who think "well what is the point of working when I can earn more on benefits?". That mentality is effing annoying, because it is the mugs like us who go to work, do ridiculous hours, and then see a big chunk of our tax spent covering the welfare bill to fund these lazy layabouts. I would argue a majority of people like the welfare state in principle, but we have never got to grips with making it work effectively.
Reply 6
I do think we should take a leaf from Americas book, their job seekers allowance stop after a while if they don't find a job, this could effect some people of they really are unable to find a job for whatever reason, but I mean if you watch 'the fairy job-mother" you can see its not Impossible (I know its a bit stupid so judge getting a job on a tv program but it's got a lot of tips and actually does help people get a job and shows how people are going wrong) but I think if benefits only were valid for a shorter amount of time and then reassessed at the end of the tax year or something, I think it would actually help. I think it would also help if people's cases were more closely looked at because you only need to scratch at the surface to see they aren't disabled they just want some money "I get a headache if I work more than an hour" .... Really? You don't need benefits for that.

Original post by _Shmiley
I have a strong dislike to people who just use it because it's there and they don't even really need it, like they have 7 kids and have all the child benefits for them as well as claiming job seekers and disability allowance and housing allowance and whatever else they can get and then use the excuse that "it's so easy to get it, we might as well use it"

I know someone who has a 50" TV, Sky+, Xbox's for each child and laptops for all of them. My parents have always been working, I only ever really see them one day a week because I have college and work, and we can't afford sky or a massive tv or anything like that, yet we still have to pay so other people can have them even though they don't bother applying for jobs or trying to get some because they know they can get more money from benefits.

I struggle to pay for the bus to college for a year (£500 for a 24m round journey a day) and I won't get any help because our income is more than the threshold needed to get support, but yet someone who's parents choose not to work only have to pay around £200.

I was basically going to say the same thing.

I agree with having benefits for people who genuinely need them, but it's come to a point where living on benefits is actually a better deal than getting a job for people. And that's where we're going wrong. Benefits should only be there for people who seriously can't live without them. I think they should focus more on tracking where the benefits are going. Maybe giving most benefits as coupons or whatnot for them to spend and then maybe a £10 to cover anything that isn't covered by the coupons?
I don't know. But whatever it is, free handouts is leading to people basically taking them and buying themselves stuff they don't really need (as mentioned in the previous post) using money which not only is taxpayer's, but also can be used to fund public services which are crippling, like the NHS.

I know someone whose mother and father are split up. Her mother's on benefits, whilst her father's an investment banker, and she lives with her mother. Therefore this girl is on full benefits (got £30 a week EMA) and also used to come into school in expensive brand clothing and recently just bought herself a brand new pair of Louboutins. It's situations like this which really infuriate me, simply because she'll be basically getting a 'better deal' whilst I'll be offered the lowest grant/loan on Student Finance :rolleyes:
No, but if I ever find myself unemployed and homeless I'm sure I'll have a huge resentment for David Cameron.
Reply 9
Original post by PinkMobilePhone

Just out of interest what would you propose or would you leave it as it is?
Original post by meenu89
Just out of interest what would you propose or would you leave it as it is?

*sigh* it's a difficult one, because if people are having children regardless of whether or not their benefits are cut, it is the children that are going to suffer, which is hardly fair.

There's very little that the government can do which isn't going to put children into poverty. And yes, whilst that is the fault of the parents, it's not something that can be allowed to happen.

How about upping the minimum wage, to actually make it more worthwhile for people to ditch the benefits and find a job? That might help!

He's right in the sense that it's ridiculous that people are having tons of kids and living their entire lives on benefits, but slashing the amount of benefits that they receive isn't really the answer here, because some people will continue to have kids regardless, and, as I say, the children then will be the ones that suffer.

And then putting a 2 year time limit on benefits is also absurd in this economic climate where jobs are scarce in the first place. Day after day stories emerge of people resorting to standing next to roadsides holding billboards begging for somebody to employ them. So if people can't find a job within those two years, then what happens to them? They lose their benefits and end up homeless? That's just ludicrous.

I'm not really sure I could propose anything to help right now, I'm not really politically minded enough to think of a decent solution (my dad on the other hand probably would!) but what DC is suggesting isn't going to work. Nothing much that he has done for this country has helped so far, it has to be noted. His intentions are noble, that's fine, I don't doubt that he wants to make things better, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions. He's going about things in a way that just isn't going to help and is just going to throw families into abject poverty.
The Welfare System doesn't, the people who abuse it do.
Reply 12
*sigh* it's a difficult one, because if people are having children regardless of whether or not their benefits are cut, it is the children that are going to suffer, which is hardly fair.

Neither is it fair to expect someone else to pay for your brats and for you to have more of it.

How about upping the minimum wage, to actually make it more worthwhile for people to ditch the benefits and find a job? That might help!

Actually this would have a counter effect than what you are hoping. Firstly higher labour cost = higher inflation rates especially if it isn't followed with reforms to increase productivity and flexibility. The other thing to consider is the more expensive labour becomes not just do less jobs get created but more jobs get lost at the same time especially when it suddenly makes automation and mechanization a more economically viable option. Remember people want goods and services at an affordable price not at a social-benefit blessed price.

And then putting a 2 year time limit on benefits is also absurd in this economic climate where jobs are scarce in the first place. Day after day stories emerge of people resorting to standing next to roadsides holding billboards begging for somebody to employ them. So if people can't find a job within those two years, then what happens to them? They lose their benefits and end up homeless? That's just ludicrous.

It isn't uncommon for there to be time limits on benefits.

A time limit would essentially cure the problem of people being fussy over the type of jobs they are willing to do and suddenly flipping burgers at McD's won't seem beneath some people.

As for what happens after 2 years of no job, chances are then they'd be put on a program for the long term unemployed for retraining.

Nothing much that he has done for this country has helped so far, it has to be noted. His intentions are noble, that's fine, I don't doubt that he wants to make things better, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions. He's going about things in a way that just isn't going to help and is just going to throw families into abject poverty.

Actually on contrary a lot of his policies are indeed useful. Just before they came to power, Spain and UK had the same interest rates for sovereign debt, look at where Spain is now....... you want the Spanish interest rates?

The deficit can't go on forever and you can't expect other people to keep paying for it.
Reply 13
Yes when you hear about stories of people scamming the system for thousands of pounds. Otherwise no, I don't walk round in a state of constant anger at the welfare state
Original post by Herr
Neither is it fair to expect someone else to pay for your brats and for you to have more of it.

Actually this would have a counter effect than what you are hoping. Firstly higher labour cost = higher inflation rates especially if it isn't followed with reforms to increase productivity and flexibility. The other thing to consider is the more expensive labour becomes not just do less jobs get created but more jobs get lost at the same time especially when it suddenly makes automation and mechanization a more economically viable option. Remember people want goods and services at an affordable price not at a social-benefit blessed price.

It isn't uncommon for there to be time limits on benefits.

A time limit would essentially cure the problem of people being fussy over the type of jobs they are willing to do and suddenly flipping burgers at McD's won't seem beneath some people.

As for what happens after 2 years of no job, chances are then they'd be put on a program for the long term unemployed for retraining.

Actually on contrary a lot of his policies are indeed useful. Just before they came to power, Spain and UK had the same interest rates for sovereign debt, look at where Spain is now....... you want the Spanish interest rates?

The deficit can't go on forever and you can't expect other people to keep paying for it.

It's easy enough for you to think that it's all so very simple, given that you have a completely warped view on wealth, but as you have no idea what it's like to be in a position of struggling to pay bills or buy food, I'm not really sure that you can really see any clearer than David Cameron how this will effect families.

Telling me that I can't expect people to go on paying for "my brats", I might remind you that every single time I have gone through my pregnancies, neither my husband and I were actually ON benefits. I would never have children whilst on benefits. It's unfortunate though that we have found ourselves on benefits after the fact, which is entirely unintentional and is not a position I am pleased to be in at all. Do you see me having MORE children now that we are on benefits? Erm, no, because believe it or not I'm not that irresponsible. However if we were kicked off benefits tomorrow, we'd likely end up in a cardboard box.

Or maybe your solution is just to not raise your own children - let somebody else raise them. Grandparents, for example, or just generally being an absent parent. You're good at that.
No, actually it allows me to have free health care, help when I need it and an education.

Yes he is but the system is broke.
Loads of peep are happy to drink fosters and watch TV all day for free. That aint cool.
Original post by LionKingLover94
No, actually it allows me to have free health care, help when I need it and an education.

No, the benefit system does no pay for your education or "help when you need it".

Why you talking about something which you aint so sure on lad?

There's very little that the government can do which isn't going to put children into poverty. And yes, whilst that is the fault of the parents, it's not something that can be allowed to happen.

He's right in the sense that it's ridiculous that people are having tons of kids and living their entire lives on benefits, but slashing the amount of benefits that they receive isn't really the answer here, because some people will continue to have kids regardless, and, as I say, the children then will be the ones that suffer.

I'm not really sure I could propose anything to help right now, I'm not really politically minded enough to think of a decent solution (my dad on the other hand probably would!) but what DC is suggesting isn't going to work. Nothing much that he has done for this country has helped so far, it has to be noted. His intentions are noble, that's fine, I don't doubt that he wants to make things better, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions. He's going about things in a way that just isn't going to help and is just going to throw families into abject poverty.

Those kids would suffer with or without benefits because those kind of parents will be ****.

What the government needs is a fully fledged breeding program; license for kids. Theres so many dip ****s out there I wouldn't trust with a stick, let alone a child, yet they are allowed to breed unhindered. That's ****ed up yeah

Have labour camps for these people. Force them to do something. But the gov needs to massively increase the jobs available because they are so sparse in these times of destitution.
Reply 19
This is going back several years, but it really stuck in my mind - my parents were struggling with money for a few months, and my dad felt a bit aggrieved that the first priority when it came to his income was to pay tax which (for a significant part) was going to pay to support other families, before he could pay to support his own.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending