The Student Room Group

Zoology/Biological Sciences applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by louthelion
My school really only pays attention to prospective medics, dentists and vets.

But that does make sense? :tongue: Considering their deadline is this Saturday. And everyone else's is in about 3 months time.

Try not to worry about it though, seriously. As long as you have done everything on your part it'll be sent off pretty early in comparison to others. Trust me there's always someone who'll be later applying than you :biggrin:
Reply 61

Me too. My school really only pays attention to prospective medics, dentists and vets. It is so frustrating - feels like the rest of us don't stand a chance right now!

Yeah same! I'm pretty sure there's only like 3 people applying for those at my school anyway so it's really annoying the rest of us get shoved to the bottom of the pile
Reply 62
I'm applying for Biological Sciences/Biology at Leeds, Lancaster, UCLAN, Keele and Chester :smile:
Reply 63
Me too. My school really only pays attention to prospective medics, dentists and vets. It is so frustrating - feels like the rest of us don't stand a chance right now!

Same! Its so frustrating, I also think they get much more support throughout the year :s-smilie:
Reply 64
Original post by Shippy
I'm applying for Biological Sciences/Biology at Leeds, Lancaster, UCLAN, Keele and Chester :smile:

Im applying for leeds :smile: Did you go to any of the open days?
Reply 65
Original post by abbie4884
Im applying for leeds :smile: Did you go to any of the open days?

I didn't get a chance, but I've looked into reviews and all that sort of thing for all the places and I'm happy to go to any one of them :smile: Would have liked to have gone to one of the open days though :frown:
Original post by walesisthebest
I have! Just sent my application. It is the only university that I've applied to that I haven't been able to visit. Can you tell me a bit more about its location and the general campus please?

Thanks

I only went the once, but I loved it, the campus is small (in comparison to others I've visited), and there's a big pond there with lots of ducks and other birds, I'm a sucker for animals so that sold it for me, helped that it was a beautiful day when I visited! The only thing I wasn't fussed on was some of the accommodation, but that didn't put me off applying.

I didn't have time to visit the city, sadly, but it doesn't seem to be far away from the campus, and I've heard that it's nice, sorry I can't be more helpful!
Reply 67
Original post by Neopolitan Girl
I only went the once, but I loved it, the campus is small (in comparison to others I've visited), and there's a big pond there with lots of ducks and other birds, I'm a sucker for animals so that sold it for me, helped that it was a beautiful day when I visited! The only thing I wasn't fussed on was some of the accommodation, but that didn't put me off applying.

I didn't have time to visit the city, sadly, but it doesn't seem to be far away from the campus, and I've heard that it's nice, sorry I can't be more helpful!

I live twenty minutes from Leeds in York. Its really great for shopping and it has nice museums and lots of good resteraunts :smile:
Also, a steward at the open day told me they only showed the most expensive accommodation and that their are cheaper options away from campus that are perfectly nice
Reply 68
Original post by Stir fried Giblets
http://www.dur.ac.uk/biosciences/undergraduate/courses/content/degree_planner/

Biological sciences at Durham has a standard first year for everyone then you can pick and choose what you want, like what's shown on the link.

There'll probably be similar layouts at other universities too if you have any ideas of where you wanna go. :smile:

Almost forgot, I am going to study Biology in New Zealand, not keen into UK Universities.
Reply 69
I may be worth applying if you have a realistic chance of getting in. What were your AS grades and what subjects were they in? Maybe get the person whose writing your reference to mention any resits your taking so they know an A may be realistic :smile:

I'm only sitting on C's at the moment, which isn't too bad i suppose. But I do have 4 C's at AS in bio, geo, eng lit and ict and I have a B in A2 Music already. So hopefully, that may compensate. I've got my heart set on exeter tho, it looks fab! Re-sitting GEOG1 (got a D) and BIOL2 tho, so that should easy bring me up to a B. Exeter only want ABB for a year abroad, so I think I'm going to change it to just the bsc staying in the uk, which brings it down to BBB. wuwww
Reply 70
Original post by Acrylic
I'm only sitting on C's at the moment, which isn't too bad i suppose. But I do have 4 C's at AS in bio, geo, eng lit and ict and I have a B in A2 Music already. So hopefully, that may compensate. I've got my heart set on exeter tho, it looks fab! Re-sitting GEOG1 (got a D) and BIOL2 tho, so that should easy bring me up to a B. Exeter only want ABB for a year abroad, so I think I'm going to change it to just the bsc staying in the uk, which brings it down to BBB. wuwww

BBB should be realistic. Sometimes it's just difficult to get unis to give you a chance even if you know you'll get their entry grades. Work on getting your personal statement up to scratch :smile:
Reply 71
Hey in AS I got C C E in Biology, Maths and Chemistry. I am resitting BIOL2 (got a high B in BIOL1 and A for ISA, but E in BIOL 2 :s-smilie:), CHEM1 and CHEM2 (got an A in ISA, and E and U for Unit 1 and 2 :frown:). I think I am predicted B B C and I am wondering which unis I should apply for Biology? :colone:
Reply 72
Original post by Juunis.
Hey in AS I got C C E in Biology, Maths and Chemistry. I am resitting BIOL2 (got a high B in BIOL1 and A for ISA, but E in BIOL 2 :s-smilie:), CHEM1 and CHEM2 (got an A in ISA, and E and U for Unit 1 and 2 :frown:). I think I am predicted B B C and I am wondering which unis I should apply for Biology? :colone:

go on what uni? type in biology and do the research yourself
Hey everyone, I got BCCCD last year (B was in critical thinking and therefore TOTALLY useless) i've been predicted BCC (but those are subject to change and i'm looking at getting them raised to BBB or at least BBC!)
Havent picked all my choices just yet since i dont know whether or not my grades will even get changed :frown: but i'm looking at qmul and the university of brighton. if my grades do get changed i might risk a spot at an ABB uni?.
(abb are the grades I want and could definately get, but i cant/wont get my english teacher to predict me an A because of my AS grade. she says she thinks a B is v. likely so i think i could get an A
I dont have any relevant work experience, but I do have hobbies and some extra reading... my gcses are AAAAAAA*A*BB btw :smile:
Good luck to everyone else applying.
I live twenty minutes from Leeds in York. Its really great for shopping and it has nice museums and lots of good resteraunts :smile:
Also, a steward at the open day told me they only showed the most expensive accommodation and that their are cheaper options away from campus that are perfectly nice

That's good to know, I definately want to visit for myself when I get the next chance though (: Also I never knew Leeds and York were so close, that's somewhere else I'd like to visit as well.
Reply 75
Original post by pipistrelle
Hey everyone, I got BCCCD last year (B was in critical thinking and therefore TOTALLY useless) i've been predicted BCC (but those are subject to change and i'm looking at getting them raised to BBB or at least BBC!)
Havent picked all my choices just yet since i dont know whether or not my grades will even get changed :frown: but i'm looking at qmul and the university of brighton. if my grades do get changed i might risk a spot at an ABB uni?.
(abb are the grades I want and could definately get, but i cant/wont get my english teacher to predict me an A because of my AS grade. she says she thinks a B is v. likely so i think i could get an A
I dont have any relevant work experience, but I do have hobbies and some extra reading... my gcses are AAAAAAA*A*BB btw :smile:
Good luck to everyone else applying.

You're GCSE grades may help somewhat, but universities and teachers usually expect you to get the same or a grade higher/lower than your AS grade unless there have been extenuating circumstances which must be declared in your reference. An awful lot of people seem to be sure they could get an A but few actually do. The leap from C to A is a big risk for a university to take so I'm sorry, I don't think it would be realistic to get an offer from an ABB university as it would require you going up a total of 4 grades over three subjects. It just seems a lot to expect a university to overlook :s-smilie:
You're GCSE grades may help somewhat, but universities and teachers usually expect you to get the same or a grade higher/lower than your AS grade unless there have been extenuating circumstances which must be declared in your reference. An awful lot of people seem to be sure they could get an A but few actually do. The leap from C to A is a big risk for a university to take so I'm sorry, I don't think it would be realistic to get an offer from an ABB university as it would require you going up a total of 4 grades over three subjects. It just seems a lot to expect a university to overlook :s-smilie:

Thanks for being honest. although i hate hate hate the idea of a gap year and being behind everyone else, i think it might be the best option at the moment. Applying with just AS grades and predictions when I plan on retaking a lot seems a bit like a waste of time. I dont know how my parents and teachers will take that idea though :s-smilie:
Reply 77
Original post by pipistrelle
Thanks for being honest. although i hate hate hate the idea of a gap year and being behind everyone else, i think it might be the best option at the moment. Applying with just AS grades and predictions when I plan on retaking a lot seems a bit like a waste of time. I dont know how my parents and teachers will take that idea though :s-smilie:

Don't think about how other people will react to a gap year, its your life and your future. I retook a whole year after illness and my parents weren't very happy about that but it was definitely worth it as now I can apply with AAA predicted and an A at AS. That came up from BDE, and the B was in art :s-smilie:
Do something worthwhile with part of your gap year too, maybe a charity thing? Would look really good on your personal statement :smile:
Reply 78
I should be sending my application off tomorrow but now I'm having second thoughts about my choices, eugh
Reply 79
I'm having trouble writing why i want to do biology in my personal statement. I'm reallly passionate about it but can't get it into words without sounding like a twit! I wish they interviewed for biology, i'm brilliant in interviews but I can't get my thoughts onto paper :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending