The Student Room Group

Anyone else hate music pretention and snobbery?

Scroll to see replies

Lol at "pretention" though. that definitely is not a real word.
(edited 11 years ago)
I honsestly can't keep track of what the kids are listening to these days anyway. I have a very low tolerance for anything which has evolved stylistically since my birth. My only problem is with people who claim that their whiny emo crap is actually metal, or who think all metal is death metal.
I very much live in the 80's.
Classic rock/metal is my main field. I *try* to be open minded, however.
I hate it when people limit themselves to one genre of music.
-I hate people who hate on artists when they become big/famous and say that they have "sold out" when in reality they are mostly still making the same music as before but because the mainstream like them it's not cool anymore so they stop listening.

-I also hate people who hate ALL mainstream music there are some great catchy pop songs out there and there is no need to dismiss it straight away.

-But I also hate people who only listen to Mainstream music and don't explore other stuff but just box themselves into the same Rihanna, Eminem, Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj i.e top 40 songs and I like stuff by those artists but I listen to other stuff aswell.

-I also hate people who say that only old rock artists are real musicians it's pathetic I like rock aswell but to say you need to play an instrument to be good is pathetic modern music production is just as hard maybe even harder.

-I hate people who either only listen to 1 genre of music or people who just dismiss an entire genre i.e rap/dubstep without properly listening to it.

-I HATE teenage girls who say "I hate all Hip-Hop it's garbage, Oh apart from Eminem he doesn't just talk about women and money" - if that's you then **** up bitch take a donkey punch to the back on the neck or a falcon punch to the vagina how about listening to other hip-hop music first before talking ****.
Couldn't agree more! My music taste varies and I seek to find new music all of the time, however I hate reading these stupid blogged posts on youtube how **** Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga etc are.

Interest in music varies from one person to another, but these statements are what merges groups of people together and brings a form of "segregated music". I hate when certain groups only like certain types of music and put full ignorance on any other type of music because the music's 'rubbish'. I've never stuck to a certain type of music and have always kept myself open to new stuff.
Original post by Bellissima
am i the only one who CANNOT STAND THIS??

i keep seeing it everywhere, especially on youtube... "people who dislike this don't know real music" etc. whether it's on led zep, gaga, jayz, WHATEVER...

why do people not understand music is SUBJECTIVE. opinions are SUBJECTIVE. why does it matter that one person likes one direction and the other likes daft punk....... really WHY DOES IT MATTER????? how do the music tastes of other people affect you in any way? why does liking a particular band or artist or aspect of music make you superior, why is your taste in music seemingly better?
or you like one musician, for example you might say "i like adele" and then someone could reply to you "wait, don't you like justin bieber" (inb4 these comments) and it's like your whole opinion is invalid? it's moronic...

why don't people understand we are not all clones and different people like different things! i don't give a **** what music you like and will not judge any other aspect of your character for it... it's not like you CHOOSE what music you like, it just happens... i don't see why you should be ashamed/embarassed for something as harmless as musical taste...

also, just because you like one musician/singer/band, does not mean you cannot like other artists that are completely different!

it's just one of my pet hates.

You're not alone.
If aliens from out space were to see us talking about this, they'd literally understand this:

'Oh you listen to those sounds?! YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT SOUNDS'
'The sounds that I like are far more superior to the sounds that you like.'

In other words, it's retarded. I like my sounds. You like your sounds. Everyone has their happy sounds ;D
Original post by Shabalala
-I hate people who hate on artists when they become big/famous and say that they have "sold out" when in reality they are mostly still making the same music as before but because the mainstream like them it's not cool anymore so they stop listening.

Sometimes they do genuinely sell out though. And not just evolve as bands Like Porcupine Tree and The Gathering have always done.

Case in point: Metallica.

1983 -

1991 -

Most definitely were not making the same music as before. Old example, but I only accuse bands of selling out when they actually did.
The only thing worse than music snobs are people who criticise others because they listen to music from different genres.

Why can't I listen to Panjabi MC, The Corrs and Mr Bungle?
Original post by metalthrashin'mad
Sometimes they do genuinely sell out though. And not just evolve as bands Like Porcupine Tree and The Gathering have always done.

Case in point: Metallica.

1983 -

1991 -

Most definitely were not making the same music as before. Old example, but I only accuse bands of selling out when they actually did.

Yes they sound compltley different but they are 8 years apart from each other there is bound to be some change artists need to change a little to stay relevent and were they still making other similar music to the stuff in the original video aswell?

So the argument is that there is nothing wrong with selling out to an extent to make money as long as you still make the other stuff aswell.

Then add in that maybe artists wan't to experiment maybe they change their sound because they get bored of the same stuff and wan't to change their sound for an album not to make money but to experiment and broden their horizan's as artists.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Shabalala
Yes they sound compltley different but they are 8 years apart from each other there is bound to be some change artists need to change a little to stay relevent and were they still making other similar music to the stuff in the original video aswell?

So the argument is that there is nothing wrong with selling out to an extent to make money as long as you still make the other stuff aswell.

Then add in that maybe artists wan't to experiment maybe they change their sound because they get bored of the same stuff and wan't to change their sound for an album not to make money but to experiment and broden their horizan's as artists.

As I said Porcupine Tree and The Gathering have been changing their sound on every album in a 20+ year long career, never releasing a song or doing anything to make money. Hell their first album was death metal, and now they play completely different stuff.
And no, Metallica never made anything that sounded remotely close to the sound of their first 3 albums ever again, but that isn't the issue. The issue is that they did do it for the money, thus selling their own integrity.

They need to learn a lesson from Lemmy from Motorhead, who is like the coolest guy in music.

"I'm not ashamed of anything we've done yet. Coz having a career like this in what is essentially an artistic medium, and selling your ass for money, is very easy to do, you know. Several people tried to make us do it and I'm not interested in it. If I have to die and be on my death bed regretting decisions I've made, I'm not interested in that man. I wanna die completely satisfied that I did the best I could.You know what I mean? And I think selling your heart is real prostitution."
The absolute worst is when someone claims to have listened to a particular band/singer/songwriter before they were well known. As if it means anything.
Reply 52
Original post by Bellissima
am i the only one who CANNOT STAND THIS??

i keep seeing it everywhere, especially on youtube... "people who dislike this don't know real music" etc. whether it's on led zep, gaga, jayz, WHATEVER...

why do people not understand music is SUBJECTIVE. opinions are SUBJECTIVE. why does it matter that one person likes one direction and the other likes daft punk....... really WHY DOES IT MATTER????? how do the music tastes of other people affect you in any way? why does liking a particular band or artist or aspect of music make you superior, why is your taste in music seemingly better?
or you like one musician, for example you might say "i like adele" and then someone could reply to you "wait, don't you like justin bieber" (inb4 these comments) and it's like your whole opinion is invalid? it's moronic...

why don't people understand we are not all clones and different people like different things! i don't give a **** what music you like and will not judge any other aspect of your character for it... it's not like you CHOOSE what music you like, it just happens... i don't see why you should be ashamed/embarassed for something as harmless as musical taste...

also, just because you like one musician/singer/band, does not mean you cannot like other artists that are completely different!

it's just one of my pet hates.

I agree that music is subjective. BUT, it doesn't mean the music you like is good. I can appreciate that The Smiths made some very good music, but I just don't like it. However, I quite like The Kooks, who I can admit aren't particularly good.

Musical taste is subjective (as is taste in whatever subject), but there is certainly a differentiation between good and bad music. The problem is, people can't say 'I like crap music', which if you like Black Eyed Peas, then that's you. Certain people may also say Classical music is rubbish, when clearly it is not. If you say you don't like it, but appreciate that it's spectacularly technical, that's okay.

I wouldn't judge someone on their musical taste, but i'm more likely to have a meaningful conversation, therefore relationship, with someone with similar musical interests to myself, or at least interests that I can respect. If not, that's cool, moving on...
Reply 53
Original post by Brevillemonkey
The absolute worst is when someone claims to have listened to a particular band/singer/songwriter before they were well known. As if it means anything.

If someone is really into their music they can feel almost proud when someone they rate make it. Yeah sounds a bit silly, but it's true. I don't see any problem with what you mentioned; my problem is with people who'll refuse to listen to an artist they used to purely due to the fact they got big. Now that is stupid.
YES!

It's not cool to like mainstream 'music' only music before the 80's which is REAL MUSIC :rolleyes:

I understand computers/technology play a bigger part in making music today but it doesnt bother me because i like the music so who cares?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by A100whoo
YES!

It's not cool to like mainstream 'music' but on music before the 80's which is REAL MUSIC :rolleyes:

I understand computers/technology play a bigger part in making music but it doesnt bother me because i like the music so who cares?

BEFORE the 80s? Oh man.. The 80s is the best decade
Original post by Brevillemonkey

I hate that too. Another bad thing is when someone listens to about 1 or 2 songs from an artist and claims they're their biggest fan.
Reply 57
Revolutionary post, OP.
I hate inverse-snobs. People hate me just cos I have better taste than them
Reply 59
Mainstream music is there to please the masses, the people who can't be bothered to look for a genre to suit their needs, so just go by mainstream so they fit in.

The only mainstream musicians I like are Katy B, Tinie Tempah and most rock bands that write their own music. (Oh and some Hip-Hop, but chances are they're not classed as mainstream).

Justin Bieber is not a bad musician, but he is an idiot

Quick Reply

Latest