The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by im so academic
Google it - condoms are too big for Asian men, allegedly.

even if this were true (which I doubt), I imagine a company as sucessful as durex would be wise enough to alter their products for target markets -.-
Reply 61
They don't sell enough condoms...seriously :smile:
Reply 62
Whys everyone here so ignorant to the fact that its purely a geographical feature of that area of the world that they can grow a lot of cereal crops and so sustain a giant population.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 63
they like sex a lot ?

but in all seriousness its cultural isnt it especially out in the country where lots of children are need not only to ensure some survive but so they can look after the parents in old age and help run the family etc. whilst in Russia its just not really part of the cultural ethos so much and with regards to land well .. most of it no one would want to live there ever...
Reply 64
Original post by 99luft Balons
India passed the 1 billion mark in 2000.China has the world's largest population but it is also a huge country, but so is Russia a large country but have a much smaller population?

Like Bangladesh for example there are 140 million people in an area the size of New York state or England.Pakistan has a huge population of 173,593,383, it is the sixth most populous country in the world.But in 1947, Pakistan had a population of 32.5 million.From 1990 to 2009 it increased at a rate of 57.2%.

Do they pop out babies like tic tacs?

Also, are large populations a blessing or a curse for a country?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories_by_population_density

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_density#Ten_most_densely_populated_countries

For a fair analysis you should not be considering population but population density. It is incredibly misleading to jump to the conclusion this is due to a rise in birth rates.

Take Pakistan for example. The current Wars raging within Asia have displaced millions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Pakistan

Unlike the Western countries Pakistan does not have a history of cracking down on Illegal immigrants. Only recently have the Pakistani government become more serious.

I find it deeply offensive that people have jumped to all these conclusions without first looking at all the evidence. Why does a rise in population have to be due to "babies" popping out "like tic tacs"

I find it deeply offensive that people feel the need to use such metaphors without considering all the evidence. There is currently an occupation in Afghanistan. Many other nearby countries are very unstable. During the American invasion of Afghanistan millions of Afghans fled to Pakistan out of fear. The number of illegal immigrants in Pakistan is unknown.

Evidence has been gathered suggesting that the Burmese regime has marked certain ethnic minorities such as the Karen for extermination or 'Burmisation'. Currently there is ongoing persecution of Muslims within Burma. According to Amnesty International, the Muslim Rohingya people have continued to suffer from human rights violations under the Burmese junta since 1978, and many have fled to neighbouring Bangladesh as a result.

This thread has brought to light the prejudices the vast majority of people seem to hold. Without looking at all the evidence many people assume we like to do it "like rabbits". This merely reflect the prejudice society we currently live in, where without considering all the facts people have jumped to very large claims.

So next time when dealing with such matters I would advice you to have a more neutral stance instead of showing such blatant bias.
maybe Asian men and Russian women need to hook up :wink: Apparently there are 9 million more Russian women than men.

also, why are Asians like 'disgusted' by sex like they find it dirty when they obviously have lots of it?

They're not "disgusted" by it, It's a taboo subject within asian culture so they don't talk about, everyone's doing it behind closed doors though..
India passed the 1 billion mark in 2000.China has the world's largest population but it is also a huge country, but so is Russia a large country but have a much smaller population?

Like Bangladesh for example there are 140 million people in an area the size of New York state or England.Pakistan has a huge population of 173,593,383, it is the sixth most populous country in the world.But in 1947, Pakistan had a population of 32.5 million.From 1990 to 2009 it increased at a rate of 57.2%.

Do they pop out babies like tic tacs?

China is not overpopulated, as you might think, because they are such a large nation and have a lot of habitable land (unlike Japan), that they can fit more people in. They get a lot of bad press for having a larger population, just because of the fact that larger numbers = people thinking that you are somehow responsible for most of the world's population issues

The Asian states that are more dense in population than the UK are:
1. Macau
3. Singapore
4. Hong Kong
11. Maldives
12. Bangladesh
17. Taiwan
19. Nepal
23. South Korea
33. India
38. Japan
44. Sri Lanka
45. Philippines
52. Vietnam

according to Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories_by_population_density

If you notice that the gaps, all those countries are not Asian ie: countries that take the positions 5-10, 13-16,18, 20-22, 24-32, 34-37, 39-43, 46-51

The UK comes just under Vietnam at 53

The Asian countries that are less densely populated than the UK include

59. Pakistan
63. North Korea
80. China - and here's where around 20% of the world's population live
90. Thailand
92. Indonesia
101. Armenia
103. Azerbaijan
111. Turkey (arguably also in Europe)
117. Malaysia
129. East Timor
130. Burma
146. Georgia
149. Uzbekistan
154. Tajikistan
160. Afghanistan
186. Kyrgyzstan
187. Laos
220. Turkmenistan
227. Kazakhstan (also arguably partially in Europe)
240. Mongolia

And that's by using what I was told using conventional continents ie: America, Europe, Asia, Middle East, Australasia. Wikipedia seems to chuck in the entire Middle East in to Asia as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories_in_Asia

Using the above data, it's clear that there are 13 Asian nations that have a higher population density than the UK, but 20 Asian nations that have a lower population density than the UK - this is without me agreeing that the Middle East should just be lumped as Asia

When you notice that China is considerably less densely populated than the UK, it's quite clear that you're just looking to make a provocative thread.

To be as densely populated as the UK, China would need:
2,458,409,355 people living in it, which is an extra 1,108,209,355 or an increase of around 82% in it's population, whereas trends would show that China, along with the rest of the world, is having less kids, not more.

China's fertility rate is: 1.16 according to Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories_by_fertility_rate

The three most densely populated countries in the world include Macau, Hong Kong and Singapore. All three have a fertility rate of less than 1.1, and all three are at the bottom of the table for fertility rates

Hong Kong fertility rate: 1.09
Macau fertility rate: 0.92
Singapore fertility rate: 0.78
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Abed1993
Asians love to have big families.

I'd want a big family too :smile:

Maybe 6 kids :biggrin:

or more.. :P

Have you tried looking after 6 kids? It's horrible. 3 kids for me :cool:

Original post by Rainingshame
It exists there just they don't like using it, religious reasons and all.... and poverty can't afford it....

The religious reasons don't really exist in Asia any more. If you consider the religions likely to ban contraception (in the minds of the people), it's Christianity and Islam

Christians in the West seem open to contraception, as opposed to Christians in Africa. Muslims in the West and in Asia seem open to contraception, as opposed to those living in Africa and the Middle East

It's more cultural reasons in Asia why you wouldn't use contraception and that's changing as well

Most of Asia is in the 70% or above of people who do use contraceptives
http://www.un.org/esa/population/publications/contraceptive2011/any.pdf

Pakistan has a rate of between 20 and 50%, with India that has a rate of between 50-70%. I think the same is true for Bangladesh - I can't quite make it out
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by AkaJetson
The fertility rates of Ind/Pak/Ban aren't that high anymore and are decreasing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories_by_fertility_rate
Also if the UN's predictions are to be trusted the populations of those countries will start decreasing around 2070
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_future_population_(United_Nations,_Medium_variant)#Countries_and_territories_by_population_and_annual_change_from_2050_to_2075

Out of interest, why do fertility rates fall? :frown:
Original post by de_monies
China is not overpopulated, as you might think so because they are such a large nation and have a lot of habitable land (unlike Japan), that they can fit more people in. They get a lot of bad press for having a larger population, just because of the fact that larger numbers = people thinking that you are somehow responsible for most of the world's population issues

The Asian states that are more dense in population than the UK are:
1. Macau
3. Singapore
4. Hong Kong
11. Maldives
12. Bangladesh
17. Taiwan
18. Mauritius
19. Nepal
23. South Korea
33. India
38. Japan
44. Sri Lanka
45. Philippines
52. Vietnam

according to Wikipedia:

If you notice that the gaps, all those countries are not Asian ie: countries that take the positions 5-10, 13-16, 20-22, 24-32, 34-37, 39-43, 46-51

The UK comes just under Vietnam at 53

The Asian countries that are less densely populated than the UK include

59. Pakistan
63. North Korea
80. China - and here's where around 20% of the world's population live
90. Thailand
92. Indonesia
101. Armenia
103. Azerbaijan
111. Turkey (arguably also in Europe)
117. Malaysia
129. East Timor
130. Burma
146. Georgia
149. Uzbekistan
154. Tajikistan
160. Afghanistan
186. Kyrgyzstan
187. Laos
220. Turkmenistan
227. Kazakhstan (also arguably partially in Europe)
240. Mongolia

And that's by using what I was told using conventional continents ie: America, Europe, Asia, Middle East, Australasia. Wikipedia seems to chuck in the entire Middle East in to Asia as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories_in_Asia

Using the above data, it's clear that there are 14 Asian nations that have a higher population density than the UK, but 20 Asian nations that have a lower population density than the UK - this is without me agreeing that the Middle East is just lumped as Asia

When you notice that China is considerably less densely populated than the UK, it's quite clear that you're just looking to make a provocative thread.

To be as densely populated as the UK, China would need:
2,458,409,355 people living in it, which is an extra 1,108,209,355 or an increase of around 82% in it's population, whereas trends would show that China, along with the rest of the world, is having less kids, not more.

China's fertility rate is: 1.16 according to Wikipedia

The three most densely populated countries in the world include Macau, Hong Kong and Singapore. All three have a fertility rate of less than 1.1

Hong Kong fertility rate: 1.09
Macau fertility rate: 0.92
Singapore fertility rate: 0.78

Incorrect, it's part of Africa, albeit their population has a large Asian/Chinese influence. Away from your point, they live happily and peacefully, and although it sounds dense, it isn't as dense as you'd think. The island has plenty of high mountainous terrain, inhabitable territory. Furthermore, it's very easy to migrate there, rather than there being loads of births on the island.
They like to have sexy time:rolleyes:
Original post by victoryshinesonus
Incorrect, it's part of Africa, albeit their population has a large Asian/Chinese influence. Away from your point, they live happily and peacefully, and although it sounds dense, it isn't as dense as you'd think. The island has plenty of high mountainous terrain, inhabitable territory. Furthermore, it's very easy to migrate there, rather than there being loads of births on the island.

Fair enough. The Asian influence is probably why I thought Mauritians were Asian. At least I now know it's part of Africa. Even then, that's one less Asian nation more dense than the UK
Original post by victoryshinesonus
Out of interest, why do fertility rates fall? :frown:

A few reasons. Education is a major driver, economics is another one. A healthier nation is also more likely to have less fertility rates than a wealthier nation, if that makes any sense

Also, the biggest driver seems to be not education, but specifically female education:

[video="youtube;gkKaabDdtEE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkKaabDdtEE[/video]

It's a very good watch, and he goes in to more detail as well
Reply 73
Original post by Bubbles!
lmao because Asians are baby making machines!! We like lots of children

Out of interest, how many children would you like? :tongue:
Reply 74
Original post by de_monies
Have you tried looking after 6 kids? It's horrible. 3 kids for me :cool:

The religious reasons don't really exist in Asia any more. If you consider the religions likely to ban contraception (in the minds of the people), it's Christianity and Islam

Christians in the West seem open to contraception, as opposed to Christians in Africa. Muslims in the West and in Asia seem open to contraception, as opposed to those living in Africa and the Middle East

It's more cultural reasons in Asia why you wouldn't use contraception and that's changing as well

Most of Asia is in the 70% or above of people who do use contraceptives
http://www.un.org/esa/population/publications/contraceptive2011/any.pdf

Pakistan has a rate of between 20 and 50%, with India that has a rate of between 50-70%. I think the same is true for Bangladesh - I can't quite make it out

Well, i have so many uncles and aunties with bigger families and they just love it (i think) :P

Well, i look forward to that challenge :biggrin:
Original post by Abed1993
Well, i have so many uncles and aunties with bigger families and they just love it (i think) :P

Well, i look forward to that challenge :biggrin:

I do too(And by that I refer to older relatives having larger families), and tbf I'm just following the Pakistani trend by only wanting a max of three (3.07 being the fertility rate in Pakistan)

(edited 11 years ago)

There should be a balance between very large and very less population.
Very large population is a curse and so is very less population.
(edited 11 years ago)
They like having sex?
Reply 78
I think in the poorer areas, girls tend to be used as sexually objects by men. Also there are a lot of young age marriages like 12 year olds weds 34 year olds. :/ i know its disgusting

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I am an Indian and therefore we have large families in India. Our society is more traditional based. Big Families can be either poor or rich. We have children for a reason, don't assume we are just simple babarains.

We don't encourage sexual relations for the following reasons:

1. India is no western country.

2. Sex relationships between youngsters is not allowed.

3. No '' puppy'' love between youngsters.

4. Arranged marriages

5. Love Marriages are come to hard by.

6. Love and sex should only occur when you have become married.

7. Young couple may have a baby, this therefore puts the family in Burden.

8. Brings shame on traditional families.

9. Causes a huge amount of embarrassed families.

10. No sexual relationships when young.

Those are the reasons why.

We do not encourage sex and relationships when you are young. Encourage it when you are older.

We view it this way: Study Hard, get the grades, get a job, get a house, get a girlfriend or get a arrnaged marriage, and then have love and sex.

So in short, when you are older, then think about it
(edited 11 years ago)