The Student Room Group

Is it bad that I flirt with my best friend?

My best friend and I are, well, best friends. Neither of us feel anything more for the other, and we both like other people, however, we flirt quite a lot and tell each other we love each other (in a friend-type way). It's just that I'm a girl and he's a boy, and while I wouldn't even think about it with my friends who are girls, is this weird?

Scroll to see replies

This isn't really weird.
If you're willing to take the relationship further and you both feel the same about it, there's nothing wrong with it.
but if you just want to continue to be best friends then that's always fine. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by GEEKSruletheworld!
This isn't really weird.
If you're willing to take the relationship further and you both feel the same about it, there's nothing wrong with it.
but if you just want to continue to be best friends then that's always fine. :smile:

But neither of us feel anything more haha, is it not weird that we flirt and we're JUST friends, nothing more?
haah, then there's no problem ? :biggrin:
You clearly want more from him, otherwise you wouldn't be asking these questions on this thread
There would only be an issue if both of you had a bf/gf who found the flirting a bit uncomfortable... Otherwise its not weird :smile:
Reply 6
No, this is normal, I have friends who are the same. I have a best friend who finds it easier to talk to guys as they are more honest and I play a joke on her that she fancies these guys, as do the rest of the year, as our school only recently turned co-ed (tbh all of them fancy her).

Lots of girls will say they love their best friend, it does not mean romantically, just friendly. And as for the flirting part, its fine, do you do it in a jokey way? I have a friend who you may think slightly strange that says she is going to elope with another friend of mine, and we all just laugh along and joke with her.
If you're just friends it's not flirting, it's cheeky banter... perhaps you're closer to this girl than the other girls that are friends you have... but considering you're clearly so worried about this you've made a TSR post on this, I'd say you actually have some feelings about her, but thinks she doesn't have feelings for you back, so by saying that you don't have feelings, you're trying to persuade yourself you don't... honestly, that doesn't work... you should try to talk to her about this, tell her that flirting and laadeedaa actually is making you like her, and whether or not you want this, but whatever happens you want to remain friends.... tl;dr? talk to her. :goodluck:
Original post by Junaid96
But does he know this? Just because you feel this way doesn't mean he does, and every time you flirt with him it might be tearing him up, he just won't show it.

A moment of silence for our fallen compatriot.
Reply 9
Not really
Reply 10
Ah, in the words of Shakespeare: "a girl and a boy can never be friends forever".

I think you guys love each other but you're in denial. It'll come to a head one day. Maybe it will be like one of those cringey American movies where the guy and girl who are BFFs get married in the end. Naww <3

Happy flirting!
Reply 11
Original post by Junaid96
But does he know this? Just because you feel this way doesn't mean he does, and every time you flirt with him it might be tearing him up, he just won't show it.

Yes, he likes some other girl! We've both made it VERY clear that we don't like each other in that way :smile:
But on a serious note OP, if you have no problem with it and he has no problem with it. Then, erm...where's the problem? :rolleyes:
Original post by Anonymous
Yes, he likes some other girl! We've both made it VERY clear that we don't like each other in that way :smile:

Can confirm there's a 90% chance he's gassing because he's scared to tell you his real feelings
normally it's perfectly O.K but because you asked this question i think there is something more but your both afraid to risk your friendship

You should watch " HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER " an awesome T.V series in which they come across this a lot :tongue:
Reply 15
No, there's nothing wrong with a bit of harmless flirting. Look, I'll prove it:

So, geetar, do you like...stuff?
Ooh, what kind of stuff.
Just..stuff, ya'know...lol!
Lol to that. Yeah, I like a bit of stuff from time to time.
Only from time to time?! I like it all...the...time.
Well, I have to be known to do it more than occasionally, to just get in deep and do a big ol' pile of stuff.
How deep are we talking?
As deep as you need to go to...stuffed.
Stuffed? I like the sound of that, lol, wink, nudge, smiley face using a semi colon so that one eye is closed giving the impression of winking.
Yeah, I just love getting...stuffing, it's so fulfilling.
I'd fulfill you.
Sex.
Done.
He is obviously dying inside and wants you, when he says he loves you he really means it. When he says he likes other girls he's lying. He knows he's been friendzoned and being friends is the only way to maintain a relationship with you. Simple broscience really.
Original post by Anonymous
My best friend and I are, well, best friends. Neither of us feel anything more for the other, and we both like other people, however, we flirt quite a lot and tell each other we love each other (in a friend-type way). It's just that I'm a girl and he's a boy, and while I wouldn't even think about it with my friends who are girls, is this weird?

'Neither of us feel anything more for each other'.

By flirting you're pretty much begging for that to change - which, of course, is no comment on how good, bad, or otherwise it is...
dont be a cocktease

if you want him inside you, tell him
If you two really had no feelings, you wouldn't be posting on here would you OP?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending