The Student Room Group

(OCR) A2 English Literature *F663* | 2016 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jack354
For the Lear question on justice: 'the ending of the play denies justice' or something along that lines-

did anyone else talk about justice within Lear as a whole and not purely focusing on the actual text of the end?

I did, but tried to link it to the ending, I figured thats where most of the justice comes. I just spoke about there not being justice elsewhere, but its restored at the end.

I concluded by saying that it was a classical retributionist justice which is out of line with Christian notions of justice hence why critics could be forgiven for arguing there's no justice... I do Classics and philosophy as well lol, I always end up merging the three subjects together in my essays :biggrin:
Original post by sophia.lega
I did a paragraph on Edmund's death allowing justice and then counter argued because Edmund was acting out of a role he was destined to fulfil, being illegitimate so we therefore can't apply modern context to him (Sartre - "naturally bastards betray, what else would they do?":wink:

Then Cordelia's death denying the possibility of justice, her death reduced Lear to nothing.

Then one on the play as a whole denies the possibility of justice with Gloucester's assertion that "the gods kill us for their sport" :smile:

God knows if that was right but oh well!

I did something similar regarding Edmund - said his death was necessary to bring justice for Gloucester, but that his death was an injustice to notions of meritocratic success over birthright based on Bruce (Edmund appeals to a meritocratic ideal).

Concluded there was justice though, just a morbid justice lol
Good to hear so many of you found the exam alright, sounds like a lot of people did some really good answers! Unfortunately I can't say the same for myself...I have done so badly in this exam! :frown: I've been working so hard for months writing notes for all the possible themes and collecting piles of critics but I just didn't leave enough time to revise it all. I predicted that the presentation of women would come up for both sections (I did 'Midsummer Night's Dream' for section A and WoB and The Rivals for section B) but I didn't get chance to revise for that particular theme because I left it too late and had to prioritise which things to go over.

I think I spent too long planning in the exam and I couldn't remember enough critics so only used 3 for each essay! :s-smilie:
I think my section A answer was quite good, apart from lack of critics, and well developed (did presentation of women for 'Dream') but by the the time I got to section B I only had half an hour so my essay was rushed, I only used 3 critics and the points and comparisons were not well developed. I've always been bad with time management but this was the worst I've ever been. I don't know what happened with this exam but I really don't think I've got more than a C and I needed an A to get what I need overall for uni. I actually want to study literature at uni as well so I'm devastated. :frown: Did anyone else make these mistakes? And does anyone know what they will do about resits and stuff as this is the last paper for this spec?
Original post by Ellismall
Good to hear so many of you found the exam alright, sounds like a lot of people did some really good answers! Unfortunately I can't say the same for myself...I have done so badly in this exam! :frown: I've been working so hard for months writing notes for all the possible themes and collecting piles of critics but I just didn't leave enough time to revise it all. I predicted that the presentation of women would come up for both sections (I did 'Midsummer Night's Dream' for section A and WoB and The Rivals for section B) but I didn't get chance to revise for that particular theme because I left it too late and had to prioritise which things to go over.

I think I spent too long planning in the exam and I couldn't remember enough critics so only used 3 for each essay! :s-smilie:
I think my section A answer was quite good, apart from lack of critics, and well developed (did presentation of women for 'Dream':wink: but by the the time I got to section B I only had half an hour so my essay was rushed, I only used 3 critics and the points and comparisons were not well developed. I've always been bad with time management but this was the worst I've ever been. I don't know what happened with this exam but I really don't think I've got more than a C and I needed an A to get what I need overall for uni. I actually want to study literature at uni as well so I'm devastated. :frown: Did anyone else make these mistakes? And does anyone know what they will do about resits and stuff as this is the last paper for this spec?

Stop stressing! It's over now, we had somebody get 29/30 on Section B without focused context of society the writers lived in and comparison at the start and end of the paragraph but the way she wrote was succinct! I'm sure you'll be fine. I only used 3 critics for each essay - one for each paragraph and I'm sure other people have been taught the same way as well :smile:
Original post by itsConnor_
omg did very similar things:

Giovanni's power over/corruption of Annabella (link to 'The Sick Rose':wink:

Female transgressors (didn't have time to do Putana..), Hippolita = revenger figure = admirable even though her subversion of her expected femininity would be perceived as a wrongdoing by Carolinian audience? Link to the Lily etc

The Church's power/control over society = disgust, Garden of Love / The Cardinal

What did you do for section A? (I do Lear)

ahhh i did antony and cleopatra hahaha
Original post by thecatwithnohat
I had a huge grin on my face the second I saw Enobarbus through the paper

After reading someone else's post about the women question (number 5), I have a feeling that I did pretty well in the exam.

omg same i was so happy Enobarbus came up!!!
Original post by YaYazooGirl
I did Q8 (studying Blake poetry and Tis Pity She's A Whore by John Ford) and I think the stem (I'm not sure if you mean the quote above the question or?) was 'It is rarely good to get what you want'. I hope that answered your question? :smile:

Yes! Thank you so much, that it what I meant!
I'm wondering if anyone would kind of guess the type of band that my exam would fall into as I'm really worried I'm not going to get the grade that I need.
:frown:

For the Lear question I went for "The end of the play denies justice"

I started off saying there are a few different types of justice human, divine poetic (coined by Thomas Rymer), and that Cordelia's death is the greatest example of injustice in the end due to her being the only one who truly loved Lear in the beginning and being a very good character. I said how the very first lines let out the injustice of the first act and its superficially.

I spoke about Nahum Tate's production who had Cordelia and Lear both not die in the end, and the newly wedded Cordelia and Edgar inherit Lear's throne.
Then I spoke about how unjust the blinding of Gloucester was, and how in the end there is some hope for justice because of Edgar being the hope for Britain and being present in Lear's insight into justice (shake the super flux etc).

For Paradise Lost and The White Devil, I went for the one about Women.
I spoke about how both writers challenge the Eve stereotype and how the strength shown in Eve's argument against Adam (virtue unassayed) and its similarities to Milton's own Areopagitica, I compared this to the strength in Vittoria's trial and the wit she shows which likens us as an audience to her.

Then said how they also conform to the stereotype of Eve: Milton shows Eve to be ambitious and deceptive of Adam, and how Vittoria manipulates Brachiano into murder with the Yew Tree homophonic "foolish idle dream".

I'm a bit disappointed because I don't think I'd fully anticipated how little 2 hours is and am worried how short or maybe brief my essays were compared to the ones I had been writing in preparation, there is so much context, interpretations and structure, form and language to mention and not enough time.
Original post by MelzoMan
I'm wondering if anyone would kind of guess the type of band that my exam would fall into as I'm really worried I'm not going to get the grade that I need.
:frown:

For the Lear question I went for "The end of the play denies justice"

I started off saying there are a few different types of justice human, divine poetic (coined by Thomas Rymer), and that Cordelia's death is the greatest example of injustice in the end due to her being the only one who truly loved Lear in the beginning and being a very good character. I said how the very first lines let out the injustice of the first act and its superficially.

I spoke about Nahum Tate's production who had Cordelia and Lear both not die in the end, and the newly wedded Cordelia and Edgar inherit Lear's throne.
Then I spoke about how unjust the blinding of Gloucester was, and how in the end there is some hope for justice because of Edgar being the hope for Britain and being present in Lear's insight into justice (shake the super flux etc).

For Paradise Lost and The White Devil, I went for the one about Women.
I spoke about how both writers challenge the Eve stereotype and how the strength shown in Eve's argument against Adam (virtue unassayed) and its similarities to Milton's own Areopagitica, I compared this to the strength in Vittoria's trial and the wit she shows which likens us as an audience to her.

Then said how they also conform to the stereotype of Eve: Milton shows Eve to be ambitious and deceptive of Adam, and how Vittoria manipulates Brachiano into murder with the Yew Tree homophonic "foolish idle dream".

I'm a bit disappointed because I don't think I'd fully anticipated how little 2 hours is and am worried how short or maybe brief my essays were compared to the ones I had been writing in preparation, there is so much context, interpretations and structure, form and language to mention and not enough time.

I'm not sure what band you would be in but your arguments sound ok. I just wanted to say that I know how you feel in terms of the time and not being able to write a good quality essay. I totally messed up my time management - only had half an hour when I got to the second question so I just know my essay was rushed, too short and not developed enough. I also struggled to remember critics so only used three in each essay. I'm really disappointed because I'm sure I haven't got a decent grade (certainly not the one I need!) but I suppose it's partly my own fault for not practising time management skills more. Two hours really doesn't seem like enough time though! You need extra time for planning in my opinion and an hour for each essay. So you're not on your own. Your argument and structure sounds alright though. We'll both just have to hope for the best! :smile:
Grade boundaries have gone up :frown: what is this evil
Original post by learner248
Grade boundaries have gone up :frown: what is this evil

They're horrible :frown:( no way I can get my C up to a B now. Just gotta hope my firm is lenient!
Original post by Matt.avf98
They're horrible :frown:( no way I can get my C up to a B now. Just gotta hope my firm is lenient!

they were ridiculously high anyway, and then theyve ramped them up further its stupid. My firm wont budge unless i get an A :frown:
I need an A* in English for my firm and there's no way that's going to happen now :frown:
does anyone have the mark scheme/examiner's report? I've found them for my AQA exams on tsr but I can't find any for my English Lit exam :frown: thanks
Reply 734
This has to be the most harshest grade boundaries on any exam
Original post by Pato1
This has to be the most harshest grade boundaries on any exam

I don't know any other subject where they are anything like this high.
Reply 736
Even the exam is a joke in itself, unless you are doing it at university I would not recommend anyone to do English Lit in it's current state.
Original post by cassidyjjoy
I need an A* in English for my firm and there's no way that's going to happen now :frown:

A* boundary didn't go up (still 57/60) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by itsConnor_
A* boundary didn't go up (still 57/60) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know it didn't go up but with my coursework I need around 100 UMS for the A* and that is higher :frown:
Original post by cassidyjjoy
I know it didn't go up but with my coursework I need around 100 UMS for the A* and that is higher :frown:

Oh right, same :s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending