The Student Room Group

Linguistics Applicants 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Salsa034848
Heya!
Just found this post! So good to have so many linguistics applicants in one place! :smile:

Oh and I just received the questionnaire from UCL - the first part is alright but the grammar exercise is impossible!

I am working on the grammar now. Absolutely miffed. No clue!
Original post by Farah-Lou
Welcome! glad to have another linguist around :biggrin:
oh no, i'm not liking the sound of this questionnaire! at least you know that it means you're half way there!

where else are you applying? AS/GCSE grades, predictions etc etc

:smile:

I have a feeling that UCL might reject me after they eventually receive my answers for this!
The first page just has questions on why you applied to UCL/what areas of language you're most interested in etc. so it's not too bad!
The second part has a made up language and you have to analyse it but it's virtually impossible!
I got 4 A's at AS and I'm predicted three A's at A2. Oh and I applied to UCL, King's College, SOAS, Roehampton and Kingston. No offers yet though!
Where did you apply/grades did you get?
Reply 82
I have a feeling that UCL might reject me after they eventually receive my answers for this!
The first page just has questions on why you applied to UCL/what areas of language you're most interested in etc. so it's not too bad!
The second part has a made up language and you have to analyse it but it's virtually impossible!
I got 4 A's at AS and I'm predicted three A's at A2. Oh and I applied to UCL, King's College, SOAS, Roehampton and Kingston. No offers yet though!
Where did you apply/grades did you get?

a made up language? oh no :'( that sounds impossible!
king's college? do they do linguistics?

I applied to UCL, Edinburgh, Leeds, York and Manchester :smile:
i got 6 A*'s, 3 A's and 1B at GCSE, ABBC at AS (such a fail:angry: ) and i'm predicted 3 a's :smile:
just wish my school would do their bit now, and send off my application! im sooo impatient :s-smilie:

i got 6 A*'s, 3 A's and 1B at GCSE, ABBC at AS (such a fail:angry: ) and i'm predicted 3 a's :smile:
just wish my school would do their bit now, and send off my application! im sooo impatient :s-smilie:

Nooo that's not a fail! My GCSE's were terrible! I got 7 A's, a B, an A* and a C (why oh why did I take drama?!)
Haha I'm impatient too! I've resorted to simply refreshing my email every hour in the hope of receiving an email from UCAS.
King's College do English Language and Communication which is close enough! Ooh I've heard the Linguistics at York is brilliant! :smile:
Reply 84
Nooo that's not a fail! My GCSE's were terrible! I got 7 A's, a B, an A* and a C (why oh why did I take drama?!)
Haha I'm impatient too! I've resorted to simply refreshing my email every hour in the hope of receiving an email from UCAS.
King's College do English Language and Communication which is close enough! Ooh I've heard the Linguistics at York is brilliant! :smile:

OMG YES drama was my B!!! i regret taking it soo much! but like, i am a drama person, i got distinctions in LAMDA and i got almost full marks in my coursework then a c in my performance... wth.

Well at least yours has been sent off!! all us linguistics applicants have to stick together :smile:
Hey everyone! I've applied for linguistics too, the international program at UCL and straight linguistics at SOAS, and then linguistics and Italian at oxford, Edinburgh and Leeds :smile: nervous! Has anyone got any offers from those places yet? Can't stop checking my emails and track.
Got the UCL questionnaire this morning though! Struggling not to repeat my personal statement....
Good luck everyone!
Reply 86
Original post by Jessikat

I applied to Homerton College, Cambridge, UCL, Newcastle, QMUL, and Southampton. And just this morning I received a questionnaire from UCL! It looks great. It asks some questions about your take on the study of language and then gives you some grammar exercises. Fun stuff. :tongue:

But other than completing the SAQ for Cambridge and recently getting that questionnaire, I also got a little postcard saying 'thank you for applying' from Southampton. Cute :biggrin:

awww,at least that's a good sign from UCL, i think they do questionnaire instead of interview, so i persume what you answer is really important. is there a deadline for that? i m going to apply to southampton as well, went to its open day n i just love the place :smile:
Reply 87

same here,my teachers have been focused on the oxbridge applicants and they havent written my reference although i have finalised my statement, urgh... just hope i can send mine off in the first week back... so nervous although i still havent sent mine off... will be even more nervous if one of us here has an offer
Reply 88
Original post by RuthMadeleine
Hey everyone! I've applied for linguistics too, the international program at UCL and straight linguistics at SOAS, and then linguistics and Italian at oxford, Edinburgh and Leeds :smile: nervous! Has anyone got any offers from those places yet? Can't stop checking my emails and track.
Got the UCL questionnaire this morning though! Struggling not to repeat my personal statement....
Good luck everyone!

When did you send your UCAS application? Everyone seems to have heard from UCL about this weird questionnaire, but my inbox tells me I have no new unread emails and I'm starting to worry a little bit!
Original post by prettified
When did you send your UCAS application? Everyone seems to have heard from UCL about this weird questionnaire, but my inbox tells me I have no new unread emails and I'm starting to worry a little bit!

Don't worry! I applied on the 10th October, what about you? They send out the questionnaires for a good few months I think. Where have you applied?
Reply 90
Don't worry! I applied on the 10th October, what about you? They send out the questionnaires for a good few months I think. Where have you applied?

I applied on the 14th... I feel a bit reassured now, thank you! And I think Jessikat applied quite early, so I guess I have no reason to worry :smile:

I applied to UCL, Edinburgh and Cambridge-- I'm still undecided re: my other two choices, but I have time still, so I guess I will research all the pros and cons of York, Newcastle, SOAS et cetera et cetera before adding my last two universities to my application :tongue:

ETA: hey, I see that you applied to SOAS and Leeds-- can I ask you why? Why did you pick these two over other places? I really like SOAS' incredible number of options, but what have you heard about the university itself? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
I applied on the 14th... I feel a bit reassured now, thank you! And I think Jessikat applied quite early, so I guess I have no reason to worry :smile:

I applied to UCL, Edinburgh and Cambridge-- I'm still undecided re: my other two choices, but I have time still, so I guess I will research all the pros and cons of York, Newcastle, SOAS et cetera et cetera before adding my last two universities to my application :tongue:

ETA: hey, I see that you applied to SOAS and Leeds-- can I ask you why? Why did you pick these two over other places? I really like SOAS' incredible number of options, but what have you heard about the university itself? :smile:

I'm sure you'll get it soon :smile:) I have a friend at Leeds who absolutely loves it, and my cousin went to SOAS and really rated there too. SOAS appealed to me because I'd ideally like to go to uni in London, and their huge focus on languages was an amazing plus. UCL Oxford and Edinburgh are still my top choices though.

Is Cambridge your first choice? :smile:
Reply 92
Original post by xxmoist
awww,at least that's a good sign from UCL, i think they do questionnaire instead of interview, so i persume what you answer is really important. is there a deadline for that? i m going to apply to southampton as well, went to its open day n i just love the place :smile:

Really? Oh no! I've spent pretty much all day on the UCL questionnaire, and I've only got one question left to do... Laboured for stupidly long on the grammar question. I was told in the email that the deadline's November 9th. I'm assuming the deadline's a certain amount of time after you get sent the questionnaire, though. :smile:
Reply 93
Good luck everyone!

Hell yes, UCL International Programme! When the Oxbridge plan goes to pot I'll see you there, yeah? :biggrin:
Hell yes, UCL International Programme! When the Oxbridge plan goes to pot I'll see you there, yeah? :biggrin:

Sounds fully good to me!!
Reply 95
I'm sure you'll get it soon :smile:) I have a friend at Leeds who absolutely loves it, and my cousin went to SOAS and really rated there too. SOAS appealed to me because I'd ideally like to go to uni in London, and their huge focus on languages was an amazing plus. UCL Oxford and Edinburgh are still my top choices though.

Is Cambridge your first choice? :smile:

Edinburgh's statistics for their Linguistics offers are frightening, though-- last year there were something like 200 applicants and they gave out 35 offers, if I remember. I would love to study there-- I love the place. Cambridge is still my first choice, because the financial help for EU students is amazing. Other universities don't like to give money to non-UK EU students :frown:
OMG YES drama was my B!!! i regret taking it soo much! but like, i am a drama person, i got distinctions in LAMDA and i got almost full marks in my coursework then a c in my performance... wth.

Well at least yours has been sent off!! all us linguistics applicants have to stick together :smile:

Oh my gosh! That's awesome!! Yeah, same! My performance was terrible, I kinda forgot my lines half way through though, so I deserved it xD

Of course!! :smile:
Has anyone got a response from SOAS? I don't even have an email from them acknowledging my application. :/
Edinburgh's statistics for their Linguistics offers are frightening, though-- last year there were something like 200 applicants and they gave out 35 offers, if I remember. I would love to study there-- I love the place. Cambridge is still my first choice, because the financial help for EU students is amazing. Other universities don't like to give money to non-UK EU students :frown:

I know, the stats are terrifying but it's such an amazing place, uni and course I thought I had to apply!! Where are you from? :smile:
:angry:
Has anyone got a response from SOAS? I don't even have an email from them acknowledging my application. :/

I've got nothing from SOAS or Leeds:frown: a bit nervous because I think some people have had acknowledgements from Leeds?

Quick Reply