The Student Room Group

MA History of Art - 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by MissJ

and after a long wait i received a very weird email from courtauld. a professor from none of my three options contacted me for an interview. i was so confused! there must have been a mistake... but i'm pretty sure i've lost my first two options since it's already so late...

Hey, that is strange. That would suggest that they've started the clearing round already? I am so confused by the Courtauld right now. Apparently tomorrow's the day when the final offers for the first three choices are made though.
Reply 41
Original post by jacekla
Hey, that is strange. That would suggest that they've started the clearing round already? I am so confused by the Courtauld right now. Apparently tomorrow's the day when the final offers for the first three choices are made though.

no it's not the clearing round yet. the professor got back to me and apparently there has been some mistake. and this is the second time that they messed up. in january they lost my ielts report form and now they've passed me to the wrong tutor...seriously, this is courtauld?
Reply 42
Original post by MissJ
oh they won't. some people get informal offers one or two days after the interview. they let me wait for one week but that's pretty acceptable

and after a long wait i received a very weird email from courtauld. a professor from none of my three options contacted me for an interview. i was so confused! there must have been a mistake... but i'm pretty sure i've lost my first two options since it's already so late...

wow really? Did you apply for an MA clearing? Coz that means they will give you any modules which arent filled in as yet. I applied for them, which is probably why i still havent herad back from them. They probably will get back to me sometime now. But i am not interested in anything other than my first choice.

Congrats! So you got through UCL after all. Are you considering taking it up? Also which module did you apply for? I am applying for Demos's course on CA and globalisation.
Hey guys,
So I'm American and I REALLY want to do my postgrad for History of Art in the U.K.
I had an interview yesterday for UCL and I think it went pretty well. Do any of you know what the chances are of getting an offer if you've had an interview?

Also, I've already gotten rejected from Oxford, Cambridge and Courtauld. Is it worth it to do a few more applications or is it too late?
Reply 44
Original post by ambikahofa
wow really? Did you apply for an MA clearing? Coz that means they will give you any modules which arent filled in as yet. I applied for them, which is probably why i still havent herad back from them. They probably will get back to me sometime now. But i am not interested in anything other than my first choice.

Congrats! So you got through UCL after all. Are you considering taking it up? Also which module did you apply for? I am applying for Demos's course on CA and globalisation.

yes i did apply for an MA clearing but i also limited it to the modern period, and the professor who contacted me is from the pre-modern. apparently there was some mistake and i don't think they've started the clearing

how did your interview go? i'm still waiting to hear back from courtauld and oxford but i think it is very likely that i'll take it up! i applied for Prof. Schwartz's German art and Dr. Fend's technologies of representation. is UCL your first choice? maybe i'll see you there in september!
Reply 45
Original post by MissJ
yes i did apply for an MA clearing but i also limited it to the modern period, and the professor who contacted me is from the pre-modern. apparently there was some mistake and i don't think they've started the clearing

how did your interview go? i'm still waiting to hear back from courtauld and oxford but i think it is very likely that i'll take it up! i applied for Prof. Schwartz's German art and Dr. Fend's technologies of representation. is UCL your first choice? maybe i'll see you there in september!

My interview went off pretty well. UCL is my second choice after Courtauld. But considering I still have not heard from Courtauld I might just take up UCL (if they take me in). I also have Goldsmiths for Contemporary Art theory in hand, just in case. I opted for CA and globalisation taught by Prof. Demos and Briony Fer's Art as Theory.

Where are you from? Also Im curious does Ox have a modern art history programme?
Reply 46
Original post by ambikahofa
My interview went off pretty well. UCL is my second choice after Courtauld. But considering I still have not heard from Courtauld I might just take up UCL (if they take me in). I also have Goldsmiths for Contemporary Art theory in hand, just in case. I opted for CA and globalisation taught by Prof. Demos and Briony Fer's Art as Theory.

Where are you from? Also Im curious does Ox have a modern art history programme?

I'm very interested in Briony Fer's course as well! But during the interview Dr. Fend put it down as my third choice. I'm Chinese, currently studying in Hong Kong and I feel the HA education I get here doesn't make me competitive at all compared to students in UK and the States...and now really losing hope with courtauld :frown: Oxford has an optional course on Media and Modernity taught by Alastair Wright and I'm really interested.

Well, I really hope you'll get into UCL in the end! Best of luck! :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by pantokrator
Hey guys,
So I'm American and I REALLY want to do my postgrad for History of Art in the U.K.
I had an interview yesterday for UCL and I think it went pretty well. Do any of you know what the chances are of getting an offer if you've had an interview?

Also, I've already gotten rejected from Oxford, Cambridge and Courtauld. Is it worth it to do a few more applications or is it too late?

No idea what the chances are of getting a place after having an interview...they do seem to interview a great many applicants though, going by what I've seen on here and experiences of people I know.

Sorry to hear about the rejections, keep trying though! I wouldn't say its too late. Maybe too late for funding (what little there is anyway), but many other institutions accept applications right up until August/September. I've noticed that some American applicants are only interested in Courtauld/Oxbridge/UCL, however there are some really great departments which aren't so well known but are worth looking at if you haven't already, like Glasgow, York, Essex, St Andrews, Sussex, Edinburgh, etc. Also, if you're interested in contemporary/theory, Goldsmiths is a place to really bear in mind.

Good luck anyway!
Reply 48
While waiting for Courtauld's explanation or apology for sending my application to the wrong tutor (and of course that's not gonna happen), I received bad news instead: I am now on the waiting list, for the optional course I'm not that interested in. my heart sank! it was once my dream uni... oh well, the whole process of application with Courtauld wasn't really pleasant for me anyway...

anyone going to UCL? :smile:
Reply 49
Hello future art historians, anyone still here? :biggrin:

I received an offer from Oxford last week, and now I have to choose between UCL and Oxford. and I can't make the decision! I guess London would be the place to study modern art, and UCL has a bigger and diversified department. But I'm not one of those who can easily resist Oxford's reputation... Well, anyone has any suggestions (or in a similar situation)? :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by jacekla
No idea what the chances are of getting a place after having an interview...they do seem to interview a great many applicants though, going by what I've seen on here and experiences of people I know.

Sorry to hear about the rejections, keep trying though! I wouldn't say its too late. Maybe too late for funding (what little there is anyway), but many other institutions accept applications right up until August/September. I've noticed that some American applicants are only interested in Courtauld/Oxbridge/UCL, however there are some really great departments which aren't so well known but are worth looking at if you haven't already, like Glasgow, York, Essex, St Andrews, Sussex, Edinburgh, etc. Also, if you're interested in contemporary/theory, Goldsmiths is a place to really bear in mind.

Good luck anyway!

So basically the updates on my admission front are: Got through Goldsmiths for Contemporary Art Theory. Had an interview with UCL for HOA last week. Still waiting to hear back from them.

I am pretty excited about Goldsmiths as the course sounds quite specific to CA with a multidisciplinary approach. It takes into consideration philosophical discourses performance studies, art history, philosophy, museology, queer theory, post-colonial studies and cultural studies pertaining to CA and the critical theories and methodologies.

Now of course I am still waiting to hear back from UCL. I am interested in Prof Demos's course on CA and globalisation, which again deals with my specific interest.

I am trying to gauge which would be a better course for me.

While the Goldsmiths course specifically addresses CA (my interest area), UCL's HOA offers a more rounded and critical approach to HOA, with special focus on the area of my interest (Demos's module). Considering I have not studies Art theory previously, maybe this approach would be better suited for me. Also from what I have heard, UCL has better access to museums/ libraries and other Uni of london events. Apparently they also collaborate with Courtauld do some seminars.

Confusion confusion confusion.

HELP
Reply 51
WOW! Thats great news. Congrats. Its going to be a tough call.

Original post by MissJ

I received an offer from Oxford last week, and now I have to choose between UCL and Oxford. and I can't make the decision! I guess London would be the place to study modern art, and UCL has a bigger and diversified department. But I'm not one of those who can easily resist Oxford's reputation... Well, anyone has any suggestions (or in a similar situation)? :smile:
Cancelled my Cambridge application, which was a research masters instead of a taught course. Managed to get offers from UCL and Oxford. Under consideration for a full scholarship at UCL (I've accepted my offer but need to withdraw...)yet decided on Oxford since I have lived in London for three years and I am ready for somewhere more quiet and a change of scene. Have visited their department and spoke to the tutors, got a very good impression. Even though UCL is more 'established' and according to my tutors a very good choice for contemporary art, I am very excited about starting at Oxford in september!
Those waiting to hear back, hang in there... Others: Congrats!
Is anyone else losing their mind waiting for an offer?
Reply 54
Original post by MissJ

I know where you're coming from! I'm trying to choose between the Courtauld and Oxford and it's such a tough choice! Have you got any further making a decision? If you don't mind me asking, which special option have you been accepted for an Oxford?

Congratulations to everyone who has received offers and good luck to those still waiting :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by emilynh
I know where you're coming from! I'm trying to choose between the Courtauld and Oxford and it's such a tough choice! Have you got any further making a decision? If you don't mind me asking, which special option have you been accepted for an Oxford?

Congratulations to everyone who has received offers and good luck to those still waiting :smile:

Congrats first! wow if i were you i would choose courtauld without second thought cos that was my dream uni, but it didn't work out for me... i've consulted four of my professors and now it's 3 for London and 1 for Ox--it seems that art historians simply can't resist London! now i'm waiting for Ox to give out scholarship results, and i guess funding would be the decisive factor for me.

i applied for Alastair Wright's module. what about you?
For what it's worth, I had this same decision to make between the Courtauld and Oxford last year. Despite the Courtauld's leading position in art history, I chose the latter for various reasons (the course was slightly more to my liking, friendly department, etc). I'm very happy with the decision I made, but there are great things to be said for both. There is a big difference between the London and Oxford lifestyle, so do take that into account when making your decisions. Congrats to everyone with offers already!

Original post by MissJ
i applied for Alastair Wright's module. what about you?

I'm not in Alastair's module but know others who are, and have had seminars with him. He is a great supervisor, always happy to go the extra mile and super laid back.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by brownbear88
For what it's worth, I had this same decision to make between the Courtauld and Oxford last year. Despite the Courtauld's leading position in art history, I chose the latter for various reasons (the course was slightly more to my liking, friendly department, etc). I'm very happy with the decision I made, but there are great things to be said for both. There is a big difference between the London and Oxford lifestyle, so do take that into account when making your decisions. Congrats to everyone with offers already!

I'm not in Alastair's module but know others who are, and have had seminars with him. He is a great supervisor, always happy to go the extra mile and super laid back.

Are you on the Mst HoA course at Ox? I've accepted my offer to Oxford for the Mst recently, so I was just wondering if you know how I can tell which special subject I've been allocated to? I said in my statement I wanted to study the Theories of Vision option, but my letter of acceptance didn't mention anything about whether i'd been allocated to that. Also, was just wondering if you know anything about the likely colleges i'll be allocated to? (I put Balliol as a pref because of the scholarship opportunities there, but on reflection don't think it's likely i'll be placed there - my supervisor is at christ church). Sorry for all the questions!
Original post by leilaM
Are you on the Mst HoA course at Ox? I've accepted my offer to Oxford for the Mst recently, so I was just wondering if you know how I can tell which special subject I've been allocated to? I said in my statement I wanted to study the Theories of Vision option, but my letter of acceptance didn't mention anything about whether i'd been allocated to that. Also, was just wondering if you know anything about the likely colleges i'll be allocated to? (I put Balliol as a pref because of the scholarship opportunities there, but on reflection don't think it's likely i'll be placed there - my supervisor is at christ church). Sorry for all the questions!

Hey! Do you have Miss Johnson then? So do I. I think the supervisor's college does not impact the college we get? Also, I think it is safe to assume we got our preferred option though it was (so far) not indicated anywhere!
Original post by leilaM

Yes I'm on the MSt course now. You will definitely be allocated your first choice option, no worries there. I even know a couple of people who switched in the first two weeks and there were no problems. As far as college allocation, there is no link with your supervisor so you could end up anywhere (unless you get a scholarship at your first choice college).

Quick Reply