The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OddThings
Does anyone here have any advice for gaining an A in Higher History? I'm in 6th year and crashing it,I'm getting A's and B's but I need an A. Its the source work mainly and remembering it all that I'm struggling with.

I did it last year- got a B at the prelim and an A at the exam. Make sure you have a really good extended essay, ask the teacher for help etc as this will bring your mark up alot. As for the exam make sure you write as quickly as you possibly can- timing is awful. Also to boost your marks try to get as much AE marks as you can, to do this you must state a fact and then expand saying why it was good/bad. I used flash cards to help memorise all the information. If you are doing democracy as one of your units all those acts are impossible to remember. For the source questions I was given a book from the teacher, I think it was the 'How to Pass' but I can't actually remember, anyway it showed you exactly how to lay it out and how to get the best marks you could. Just out of interest which units are you studying?

Good luck :smile: I'm sure you'll get your A!
Original post by Dado Prso
struggling a bit with some parts of the maths course but hopefully i will get there. took astronomy as my outside course also, it has some interesting parts (black holes, supernova etc.) but has some boring parts also. astronomers seem to spend their lives measuring doppler shifts.

I think I remember you switching course... is it physics you'll be continuing with next year?

What about yourself? Got any plans once it's all over?

Yeah, I applied a few places but actually wound up with a generous offer from my first choice early on. I'll be starting back in Ed writing software for a fairly well-known company. Low-level systems stuff :smile: Roll on August! I'll kick about at home for a couple months, pay off the overdraft...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by TheUnbeliever
I think I remember you switching course... is it physics you'll be continuing with next year?

Yeah, I applied a few places but actually wound up with a generous offer from my first choice early on. I'll be starting back in Ed writing software for a fairly well-known company. Low-level systems stuff :smile: Roll on August! I'll kick about at home for a couple months, pay off the overdraft...

Yup, I switched from engineering to physics although I didn't have to repeat a year as I did physics as my outside course in first year. happy with that decision, physics just more interesting to me. It will be physics next year.

Ah congrats. Fairly well known huh. Tubs going to be on the credits of GTAwhateverno.they'reonnow ?
Original post by Dado Prso
Tubs going to be on the credits of GTAwhateverno.they'reonnow ?

Oh goodness, no! Too many horror stories come from the games industry. Much more boring: the sort of thing people use indirectly everyday without realizing, which is more my style :p:
Original post by RoryRorrzShikari
I did it last year- got a B at the prelim and an A at the exam. Make sure you have a really good extended essay, ask the teacher for help etc as this will bring your mark up alot. As for the exam make sure you write as quickly as you possibly can- timing is awful. Also to boost your marks try to get as much AE marks as you can, to do this you must state a fact and then expand saying why it was good/bad. I used flash cards to help memorise all the information. If you are doing democracy as one of your units all those acts are impossible to remember. For the source questions I was given a book from the teacher, I think it was the 'How to Pass' but I can't actually remember, anyway it showed you exactly how to lay it out and how to get the best marks you could. Just out of interest which units are you studying?

Good luck :smile: I'm sure you'll get your A!

I'm doing Britain 1850-1979,Germany 1815-1939 and the Scottish Wars of Independence 1286-1328
I'm typing up essay plans with pro/con factors for each factor but there seems to be so much information! Its the sources I really struggle with.
Original post by OddThings
I'm doing Britain 1850-1979,Germany 1815-1939 and the Scottish Wars of Independence 1286-1328
I'm typing up essay plans with pro/con factors for each factor but there seems to be so much information! Its the sources I really struggle with.

Yeah there is so much to remember. I only had one day between my French exam and Histoy exam last year so my whole Easter holidays were pretty much History revision. Are you doing the Scottish Wars of Independence as your source questions? If so thats what I did too. Theres basically like 4 types of questions you have to learn and you can set it out as a sort of formula- or thats how I did it anyway. Have you looked at example answers? They helped me alot. Also some of the sources that came up in my nab were the same ones that came up in the exam so if you break down a few sources (eg. what information it includes, what info it doesn't include, why it may be biased etc) theres a strong likleyhood it could appear in the final exam and you'll know it well.
Original post by RoryRorrzShikari
Yeah there is so much to remember. I only had one day between my French exam and Histoy exam last year so my whole Easter holidays were pretty much History revision. Are you doing the Scottish Wars of Independence as your source questions? If so thats what I did too. Theres basically like 4 types of questions you have to learn and you can set it out as a sort of formula- or thats how I did it anyway. Have you looked at example answers? They helped me alot. Also some of the sources that came up in my nab were the same ones that came up in the exam so if you break down a few sources (eg. what information it includes, what info it doesn't include, why it may be biased etc) theres a strong likleyhood it could appear in the final exam and you'll know it well.

Yeah,Scottish Wars are my source questions.Thanks for your advice,I really will need it.
Oh goodness, no! Too many horror stories come from the games industry. Much more boring: the sort of thing people use indirectly everyday without realizing, which is more my style :p:

What about computational medicine/bioinformatics? :awesome:
Original post by badumdumtscht
What about computational medicine/bioinformatics? :awesome:

I actually had an offer for such a position, at the same nominal salary - but in London, so quite a drop in real terms. :smile:
I actually had an offer for such a position, at the same nominal salary - but in London, so quite a drop in real terms. :smile:

Oh. :sad:

We could've cured cancer together. :moon:
:lurk: just subscribing
I have 7 and a half hours to write the rest of the results, conclusion and evaluation for my Chemistry investigation and to write the entire Biology investigation. I'm also already running on no sleep from last night. I'm so fuuuuucked.
At least you have a fine avatar.
7 days left of school ever! :O Don't know how to feel, happy? Sad? Definitely excited to go off to uni. Exams first though =(
Original post by laughylolly
7 days left of school ever! :O Don't know how to feel, happy? Sad? Definitely excited to go off to uni. Exams first though =(

Enjoy the last few days of school! I found it a bit surreal but I guess fun :smile:
Reply 35
Only one more monday at school left.
Celebrate good times come on! :banana:
Awaking from my last uni night out.

That's first year done. Holy ****.
Reply 37
Ahhhhh where has everyone gone? Finished school yesterday, feels a bit surreal, I don't have an exam until the 11th May. I'll admit, I have become very lazy with the whole revision thing since accepting my unconditional, but last night a stripper gave me some really good advice and I am now feeling motivated to study!!!!
Reply 38
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I have 7 and a half hours to write the rest of the results, conclusion and evaluation for my Chemistry investigation and to write the entire Biology investigation. I'm also already running on no sleep from last night. I'm so fuuuuucked.

Ahh, this was so me last year! :tongue: Thankfully (in a weird way) I didn't ever get to sit adv chem because I was in hospital, so my crappy project didn't matter :tongue:
I still have two days left until graduation. Wonder what fag sets the study leave period :tongue:

Latest