The Student Room Group

Interrailing/Eurailing Advice Superthread (IMPORTANT: FAQ at start)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Monkey magic
It really depends on what places you are interested in, I am still planning my trip and it looks like I will be starting in Rome.

You have a lot of options, look at a map and see what cities you like the look of. :smile: When are you leaving?

Thanks! :smile: probably the start of July - It'll be a very hectic planning time after my exams if it happens haha. I really like the look of Berlin but it's so far away! I'm not sure we could really make it all the way there in the short time we have. Initially we had a rough idea of: Rome - Venice/Florence - Salzberg - Prague - Berlin, but it seems the trains take forever to go that way. Your trip looks awesome! How long are you going for? What's the cheapest you've found accomodation for in Rome?
Original post by TheRandomer
Thanks! :smile: probably the start of July - It'll be a very hectic planning time after my exams if it happens haha. I really like the look of Berlin but it's so far away! I'm not sure we could really make it all the way there in the short time we have. Initially we had a rough idea of: Rome - Venice/Florence - Salzberg - Prague - Berlin, but it seems the trains take forever to go that way. Your trip looks awesome! How long are you going for? What's the cheapest you've found accomodation for in Rome?

It's good you have a few months to plan then, haha thanks.... all I have done is plan so far, I haven't even quit my job yet oops.

Apparently Venice is meant to be really expensive and busy which is why I have avoid it, Florence looks amazing though.

Yeah that looks good, I know you can get a night train from Florence to Munich.... maybe try and find a similar train to Salzberg as it may save you a day of travelling?

I think I am going for about 5 weeks, not really sure though and I really don't know whether to book my return flight before I go or not. I had a quick look yesterday and they seem to be about £30 a night which seems very expensive compared to other cities :frown:
Reply 1002
Hey. I don't know if you know about these but the following two sites have been really helpful when I've been planning my trip.

http://www.bahn.de/p/view/index.shtml
http://www.seat61.com/InterRail-pass-guide.htm#Country by country InterRail reservations & supplements guide

The first site basically gives you all the connections and journey times of trains around Europe while the second one gives useful information about train supplements and the like. Hope these help.:smile:
Reply 1003
for people going to croatia, are you going to split/hvar/dubrovnik/anywhere else?? we can't make up our minds..
Reply 1004
hey guys, apologies if this has been said before in the thread, but im not looking through 50 odd pages for anything of value to me aha.

anyway im going to amsterdam for a day then brussels the day after, then tomorrowland festival :biggrin: and i was hoping for some good places to go to for a student? we're all 19 years old and really enjoy our clubs, so what would be a good club to go to in amsterdam on a tuesday and brussels on a wednesday? were not really looking to go to the really expensive clubs, just basically the equivalent of a student night in the uk, so cheap drinks and people our age. i bumped into a belgian guy the other day who recommended a place in brussels on a wednesday which was free entry with 2 euro beers, i forgot the name of the place but it was on the lines of cafe something, anyone know of it?

any other info is very much appreciated :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by RDCL
hey guys, apologies if this has been said before in the thread, but im not looking through 50 odd pages for anything of value to me aha.

anyway im going to amsterdam for a day then brussels the day after, then tomorrowland festival :biggrin: and i was hoping for some good places to go to for a student? we're all 19 years old and really enjoy our clubs, so what would be a good club to go to in amsterdam on a tuesday and brussels on a wednesday? were not really looking to go to the really expensive clubs, just basically the equivalent of a student night in the uk, so cheap drinks and people our age. i bumped into a belgian guy the other day who recommended a place in brussels on a wednesday which was free entry with 2 euro beers, i forgot the name of the place but it was on the lines of cafe something, anyone know of it?

Your really struggling with Amsterdam on a tuesday sorry to inform you-from what ive heard. You might find somewhere that I didnt come across for weekdays (I was there with my brother for three nights across the weekend last month and did a lot of research on nightlife). If you need a definite plan- best bet would be do a self organised pub/bar crawl in Leidesplein, which also has a couple of clubs. But yeah would imagine it wouldnt be that busy on tuesday.
Original post by RDCL

Hey! I was in Amsterdam for the 2nd time last week..

From my experiances..

.. the Red Light district is a tourist attraction and most place in or around are overpriced and there to rip you off a bit..

.. leidseplein is a good area, lots of bar and clubs.. although you'll have a hard time finding 'Student Prices' in Amsterdam I think.. but apparently there is one student only club there (don't ask where)

Rembrantplein is another area which I really like, full of bars and coffeeshops!

Have a good time!

Ohh and for me Brussels is like Bruges. If you've seen 'In Bruges' then yeah, like that! haha
Booked my 30 day pass! Valid from the 26th of July.
Coach to Amsterdam on the 25th :biggrin:
Planning on seeing Berlin, Prauge, Krakov and Bled, anywhere else is going to be spontanious.. well tbh I'm waiting on some books to come through so I can do a bit more esearch before deciding exactly where I go.. but nothing will be set in stone, the beauty of a rail pass :biggrin:
Just wondering what websites etc. people used to finding things to do in the cities during the trip? Or is it a matter of just wandering around / asking the people working at the hostel for advice on what to do. An as example, me and my friend are spending 3 nights in Zagreb, Croatia - not that I have any idea what we'll do besides stroll around and get tipsy.
Reply 1009
Original post by SLlewellyn
Just wondering what websites etc. people used to finding things to do in the cities during the trip? Or is it a matter of just wandering around / asking the people working at the hostel for advice on what to do. An as example, me and my friend are spending 3 nights in Zagreb, Croatia - not that I have any idea what we'll do besides stroll around and get tipsy.

I've found wikitravel to be decent. Here's the page for Zagreb.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Zagreb
Original post by Doughnut
I've found wikitravel to be decent. Here's the page for Zagreb.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Zagreb

Cheers, will no doubt be using that in the near future to plan a few pubs/sights.
So excited for my trip now!!! :smile: Wikitravel is really useful, thanks.
Where would you suggest in terms of somewhere that is sunny, beachy, pretty and relaxing, but close to an airport in Europe? I was thinking Barcelona but the beaches aint looking too great. It would be nice to have some beachy days as a stop off before catching the easyjet flight home..
(edited 11 years ago)
I am having second thoughts about going now :s-smilie:

Is going alone a really bad idea? I have to decide by Thursday as I have to hand my notice in at work.

Arghh
Reply 1013

Is going alone a really bad idea? I have to decide by Thursday as I have to hand my notice in at work.

Arghh

I think you should go for it.:smile:

You will meet lots of people if you stay in hostels and going on your own means you can do what you want, when you want rather than having to miss out on things because of other people. Also, it shows you're an independent person and will help build your confidence.

I haven't actually travelled alone before but I'm heading off in about a month on my own and these are some of the benefits I see about travelling alone.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1014
nAnpB.png

Here's my route. Thanks for the idea to use spreadsheets. Most of the times are not set in stone because I haven't looked up all of the train trips. One problem I've come across is getting from Gimmelwald - Nice. Looks like I'll have to go through Italy and down the coast, but I've heard people have had problems in Italy, and that you have to punch your own ticket. Any more info on this?

Also, on Bahn.de it doesn't show the platform for all transfers, is it easy to find your train by the name of the train?
Original post by TheRandomer
So excited for my trip now!!! :smile: Wikitravel is really useful, thanks.
Where would you suggest in terms of somewhere that is sunny, beachy, pretty and relaxing, but close to an airport in Europe? I was thinking Barcelona but the beaches aint looking too great. It would be nice to have some beachy days as a stop off before catching the easyjet flight home..

Check out Solvenia/Bulgaria, that kind of area! Nice beaches, not too crowded and cheapish area!

Arghh

Go for it! It's a good amount of time you have and it will be something you will remember forever. What else are you going to do? It certainly won't be as fun as Europe!! And travelling alone is great, hostels are really friendly and generally everyone is of a similar mindset, wanting to travel, see new things and meet new people so it's not hard to find people to hang around with. If all else fails, join the americans, they're always a laugh.

It is an excellent idea. GO!
Just wondering whether anyone had any information/ advice about the route that my friend and I are planning to take in the summer:

Fly London to Prague (3 days)
Prague --> Vienna (3 days)
Vienna --> Budapest (2 days)
Budapest --> Lljublana (1 day)
Lljublana --> Venice (2 days)
Venice --> Rome (4 days)
From Rome fly back to London
Original post by bertiejess
Just wondering whether anyone had any information/ advice about the route that my friend and I are planning to take in the summer:

Fly London to Prague (3 days)
Prague --> Vienna (3 days)
Vienna --> Budapest (2 days)
Budapest --> Lljublana (1 day)
Lljublana --> Venice (2 days)
Venice --> Rome (4 days)
From Rome fly back to London

It may have changed now but when I went in September, I had to change my route from Vienna to Florence, to Munich to Florence as the trainline from Vienna to Florence (which includes Ljublijana and Venice) didn't have a proper trainline and expected us to go on a replacement bus service instead, might be worth checking out on bahn.de to see if that is still the case.
Reply 1019
revised my trip, going the other way around Europe:

http://i.imgur.com/vSQfq.png

Quick Reply