The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA4 18th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by salad_fingers
Good plan, I'm just woried that they're going to make us do a short question on it, like 4+8 or something, that will be so awkward, I really don't want that to happen :'( I have spent so many hours trying to write an essay on this bit, I think I've almost got it now but whatever I write I'm not totally happy with, it's just so annoying that it's more or less guarenteed to come up.

Are you writing this essay plan on the computer, if so, can i have a look at it to see whether i could add a few more points on mine.
Reply 621
Is anyone doing anomalistic?
I find it very bland :/ x
Reply 622
Yes

How you feeling? I have no idea how to lay out the short answer questions.
You doing research methods or Schizophrenia by any chance?
Original post by justneedhelp
Your teacher is seriously stupid! There has been a change in the spec!! Words such as magical thinking will now be used etc.. What i'll do, is tomorrow morning i'll find my notes of what is changed and repost them up for you! It's not much of a change but if some words are different you dont want to risk not knowing what they're asking!

We've even spoken to him about it and he still says the spec hasn't changed. I am seriously so glad that I did not take this exam in January because I had no idea about the changes. Thank you so much :smile:.
ANYONE DOING MEDIA PSYCHOLOGYY

Do we have to apply IDA's to Media questions?? Because it's really difficult i'm finding... :s-smilie:
Original post by Catherine:)
This is the exact same as me! I think we're having a class vote on whether to do media or anomalistic :smile: Not sure which one I'd rather do. We've just finished schizophrenia, how are you finding it? x

Haha, that's what we did :P Media won by about 1 or 2 votes, which i didn't mind cos when I read over Anomalistic it didn't look as interesting as I thought xD

And I'm finding schizophrenia quite good and its not that difficult :smile: but in media there's soo much to remember so i'm struggling :L and research methods... i still get confused over statistical tests, and i've been over them millions of times xD
how about you?? :smile: x
Original post by dione
How you feeling? I have no idea how to lay out the short answer questions.
You doing research methods or Schizophrenia by any chance?

The 'models of addiction' totally suck, I can barely get anything on cognitive, and I'm pretty sure that's what is going to come up. Everyone does research methods but I'm doing depression rather than schizophrenia.
Reply 627
The 'models of addiction' totally suck, I can barely get anything on cognitive, and I'm pretty sure that's what is going to come up. Everyone does research methods but I'm doing depression rather than schizophrenia.

Cognitive ey? Are you an avid predictor haha. Cognitive is quite straight forward, do you have the dog book the large one. It is really helpful.
Original post by dione
Cognitive ey? Are you an avid predictor haha. Cognitive is quite straight forward, do you have the dog book the large one. It is really helpful.

Yes but I find it hard to apply to smoking / gambling and get good evaluation :/
Reply 629
Original post by Abbycadabra
ANYONE DOING MEDIA PSYCHOLOGYY

Do we have to apply IDA's to Media questions?? Because it's really difficult i'm finding... :s-smilie:

It is difficult since, the question is broken up and you have to apply to a senario.

Yes you do apply the IDA's. :smile:
Original post by DaHogz
It is difficult since, the question is broken up and you have to apply to a senario.

Yes you do apply the IDA's. :smile:

IDA is not required in unit 4
man I cant wait until this is over!

Im just going over research methods over and over currently; I think im getting the hang of it; not so sure about drawing graphs etc but we'll see how it goes..

hows everyone else getting on? not long left!!!
Original post by Mephestic

Im just going over research methods over and over currently; I think im getting the hang of it; not so sure about drawing graphs etc but we'll see how it goes..

Okay I suppose, I think I've settled on something for issues of diagnosis,still not totally happy but I don't think I will be with whatever i write for that section which sucks because I'm pretty sure it's going to come up.

If I could just crack the cognitive model of addiction then I've pretty much got all of the main content down and have quite a bit memorised, going to go through all of research methods now, should get that done by middle of next week or so and then its just going over it all!

This is all so stressful, this is in many respects the most important exam I'll ever take.
Reply 633
Everybody here seems to have it much more cracked than me, officially getting stressed out now!
I don't suppose anyone has considered unlikely candidates for questions? The stuff that's come up before ect?
I'm doing addiction and I hate it - njdfngejrna;!
Okay I suppose, I think I've settled on something for issues of diagnosis,still not totally happy but I don't think I will be with whatever i write for that section which sucks because I'm pretty sure it's going to come up.

If I could just crack the cognitive model of addiction then I've pretty much got all of the main content down and have quite a bit memorised, going to go through all of research methods now, should get that done by middle of next week or so and then its just going over it all!

This is all so stressful, this is in many respects the most important exam I'll ever take.

keep at it! I'm learning without teachers ! its not easy with a full time job either!
but I find the more you practice the easier it gets, you just have to translate it all into something you understand rather that what the book says, like in simple terms really.

only 3 weeks to go!!!!!!!!!! oh god just realised lol.
Reply 635
Original post by Sophyla
Everybody here seems to have it much more cracked than me, officially getting stressed out now!
I don't suppose anyone has considered unlikely candidates for questions? The stuff that's come up before ect?
I'm doing addiction and I hate it - njdfngejrna;!

i know exactly how you feel! i HATE addiction :/ are you doing depression as well by any chance? i have no idea what's going to come up for addiction :frown:
Reply 636
Original post by Mephestic

Not getting on very well with Media. I'm still confused about the topics that can come up. Can you clear this up for me? It would be really appreciated, thanks :smile:
Original post by rf229
Not getting on very well with Media. I'm still confused about the topics that can come up. Can you clear this up for me? It would be really appreciated, thanks :smile:

sure what do you want to know? from my understanding it seems they will ask us 3 questions which seem to be usually split with two bigger ones and one smaller one. big ones vary in size and ask you to apply knowledge to certain scenarios it seems.
Reply 638
For vulnerabilities of addiction or risk factors question what is the best way to structure it?
e.g A01 e.g. Age is a risk factor...
A02 supporting evidence i.e a study
and then explain how the study relates to the scenario given.

this particular type of question usually comes up so any help on this i would really appreciate it thanks :smile:

also does anyone have any predictions for addiction i know it quite hard to predict anyway.

my predictions for schizophrenia is therapies but a split question

(a) Outline one psychological therapy and one biological therapy for schizophrenia (8)

(b) Evaluate the therapies you have outlined (16)
Original post by y.yousef
whats IDA? :confused:

how come i dunno bout this?...ma teacher is soo horrificc.. :sigh:

i've self taught, cos she's so ****! :mad:

IDA stands for issues, debates and approaches.

An issue point could be about gender, or cultural bias in research and also the role of animals
A debate point relates ongoing psychological debate to research. Free will vs. Determinism, Nature vs. Nurtrue, and Reductionism.
An approach point is talking about the school of thought the theory comes from. For example biological, psychologicl, evolutionary, behaviour, psychodynamic etc...

If you're still confused, I have a powerpoint on this you can have a look at, (it's on dropbox)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zni26sr4rerrqcj/SYNOPTIC%20TOOLKIT.pptx

hope this helps :smile: (VHA and JBO are our teachers, we split the course between them (science and humanities style parts of the spec)

On an unrelated note... 22/05 my 18th!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest