The Student Room Group

Pele vs Maradona vs George Best?

Poll

The Greatest Player?

I think it's fair to say that; Pele, George Best, Maradona, Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are the greatest players of all time.

I'd like to take the attention away from the two gods we have at the moment and ask for your views on Best, Maradona and Pele. Who was your favourite, who do you think was the best?

If I was to base it purely on playing style; George Best.

He turned defenders inside out like no player has done before. His balance was tremendous and he survived some of the most ruthless challenges; he didn't receive anywhere near the amount of protection that the players get today..

Impossible to compare generations, thread has been done a million times before.
:facepalm2: at putting Best up there with Pele and Maradona.

:facepalm2: at your list of greatest players ever.

:facepalm2: at you, OP.
Original post by CB91
:facepalm2: at putting Best up there with Pele and Maradona.

:facepalm2: at your list of greatest players ever.

:facepalm2: at you, OP.

Don't see whats too bad about that, he was absolutely incredible for United back in the day, really sad how things ended for him.
Original post by DaveSmith99
Don't see whats too bad about that, he was absolutely incredible for United back in the day, really sad how things ended for him.

Yeah but being incredible for United =/= being on the level of Maradona and Pele. Best never (got the opportunity to) proved himself on the biggest stages like they did and therefore it's just silly to say he's in their company, especially as a trio. A great, legendary player though.
Original post by Strangeclouds
Yeah but being incredible for United =/= being on the level of Maradona and Pele. Best never (got the opportunity to) proved himself on the biggest stages like they did and therefore it's just silly to say he's in their company, especially as a trio. A great, legendary player though.

I'm assuming by "biggest stages" you mean the world cup? He played for Northern Ireland, how is he meant to win the world cup with Northern Ireland? Yes Pele won the world cup, but he never played in Europe.
(edited 11 years ago)
The greatest player? Zidane should definitely be on that list
Reply 7
Pele probably the most overrated player of all time. He includes goals scored in friendlies in his tally. He also never tried to cut it in Europe.

Michael Laudrup is apparently one of the best players ever.
Reply 8
Pretty sure hardly anyone here is old enough to have even watched these players, so that rules this pretty much void.

Youtube only show the best bits so you can't judge a player from that, the impact they had on the game, the little things. etc
Eusebio better than them all.

Messi better than those 3 and Eusebio.

As someone else has said, Pele is overrated. Even Zico and Amancio were better than him.

Watch some Brazilian videotapes of their historic performances, analyze the whole performances and you'll see the real truth. Pele was just a name people caught on to and hyped up because he scored.
Reply 10
Original post by Zyyz
Pretty sure hardly anyone here is old enough to have even watched these players, so that rules this pretty much void.

Youtube only show the best bits so you can't judge a player from that, the impact they had on the game, the little things. etc

I totally agree with this... All people can go on are stats they've plucked off of any old website or video clips of 'best bits' on youtube. I actually searched youtube and stumbled over 'worst clips' of players and some 'world class' players were absolutely shocking.

I don't think anyone can really compare them without growing up watching them tbh.
Original post by zyyz

This. However in our generation Zidane has to be the best. He's won everything, was an all round player and a team player.

Quick Reply

Latest