The Student Room Group

Estimation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by SubAtomic
You said you've never done multiple choice maths questions:eek:

Yes, i said it.

I haven't done MCQ maths questions, but i have done them for physics and chemistry. In physics and chem, we need to put a cross not a tick or a circle.
Reply 21
Original post by raheem94
Zed is a year 10 student hoping for an A* in GCSE maths.

He's hoping for an A* in maths and is asking how to do 410*7*5 without a calculator, I suggest he lowers his expectations or are exams really that easy these days?
Reply 22
Original post by James82
He's hoping for an A* in maths and is asking how to do 410*7*5 without a calculator, I suggest he lowers his expectations or are exams really that easy these days?

He wasn't sure how to find the estimate, he wasn't asking how to 410*7*5 without a calc.

Though i do agree with the latter part of your post, may be GCSE and A-Level exams difficulty needs to be stepped up.
Reply 23
Original post by raheem94
He wasn't sure how to find the estimate, he wasn't asking how to 410*7*5 without a calc.

Though i do agree with the latter part of your post, may be GCSE and A-Level exams difficulty needs to be stepped up.

Actually, he was asking just that:

Original post by zed963
You would round the 6.9 to 7 the 0.23 to 0.2

So you'd have

410×70.2\displaystyle\frac{410 \times 7}{0.2}
Its in a non calculator exam.

How would I do it without using a calculator
Reply 24
Original post by James82
Actually, he was asking just that:

Oh i forgot about it.

It just shows how easy are the exams nowadays and drawbacks of them are quite visible...

It wasn't even difficult to find the exact value of this, see this post.

I haven't done GCSE so don't know much about, but from my experience of the maths forum GCSE is probably a joke.
Reply 25
Original post by TenOfThem
This is based on the assumption that the OP is, in fact an A* student

In my experience of teaching GCSE the questions asked by Zed are not the questions that an A* student would be asking s

He considers himself an A* student, i don't know about GCSE but some of the question he asks can probably be done by someone who hasn't even done GCSE. Like this estimate question, i also think it is foolish to ask how to calculate such a value in a non-calc exam.

In my opinion, calculators shouldn't be used in a maths exam, the questions should be based upon giving exact values. There are some more drawbacks of them as well, Like a question i saw on another thread yesterday in which we had to find the exact value of tanx where sinx=1/2 and x is obtuse, and the suggestion given by the other guy was to do tan(arcsin(0.5)) in the calc.
Reply 26
Poor Zed, some of your responses will give him the confidence boost he needs I am sure:rolleyes:

Zed if you want A* at GCSE, before I continue this sentence are you sitting GCSE maths soon or next year?

13 June to be precise.

Quick Reply

Latest