The Student Room Group

TSR Money Savings Club

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
As a pro-saver I must say it hurts that I just spent 600 Euro on driving license! D:
I have a job interview on Wednesday :awesome: will still send out applications though :woo:
I got the job I was interviewed for! 37.5 hours a week! Very happy :smile: And now I have an interview for the staff bank for another NHS trust as well. That's three jobs now, can't believe how well things are going on the job front at the moment.

A message to everyone! Stick in and work your arse off! It will come good, believe me!
Original post by Leavemyarcelona
I got the job I was interviewed for! 37.5 hours a week! Very happy :smile: And now I have an interview for the staff bank for another NHS trust as well. That's three jobs now, can't believe how well things are going on the job front at the moment.

A message to everyone! Stick in and work your arse off! It will come good, believe me!

Congrats! Keep the goal in sight, you'll get there :smile: I'm waiting to hear back from Lidl. they're taking 6-7 weeks to reply back to people as they did a massive recruitment drive all over the country, but it would be pretty ideal for me as I for some reason enjoy working in supermarkets, and its on a main bus route.
Original post by cpdavis
I have a job interview on Wednesday :awesome: will still send out applications though :woo:

How did it go?
Original post by insignificant
Congrats! Keep the goal in sight, you'll get there :smile: I'm waiting to hear back from Lidl. they're taking 6-7 weeks to reply back to people as they did a massive recruitment drive all over the country, but it would be pretty ideal for me as I for some reason enjoy working in supermarkets, and its on a main bus route.

Thank you :smile: Best of luck with your Lidl application, let us know how you get on!
How did it go?

Well I think it went well (although they did ask some very odd questions). Staying very optimistic about the whole scenario, but if it does go according to plan then at least I got somewhere.

Still going to keep trying though and considering that I am coming up to the end of exams, I am able to say that I am available straight away :smile:

I sold my T in the park ticket, so that's nearly £200 back. I don't think I'll be festivalling this year, due to me not having anyone to go with. But I'm alright about that though :biggrin:

How are you though? :smile:
Original post by cpdavis
Well I think it went well (although they did ask some very odd questions). Staying very optimistic about the whole scenario, but if it does go according to plan then at least I got somewhere.

Still going to keep trying though and considering that I am coming up to the end of exams, I am able to say that I am available straight away :smile:

I sold my T in the park ticket, so that's nearly £200 back. I don't think I'll be festivalling this year, due to me not having anyone to go with. But I'm alright about that though :biggrin:

How are you though? :smile:

Glad to hear it my friend, hope you get the job :smile:

I am currently dead on my feet, I have exams at the moment and lots of shifts at work, so I am just trying to take each day as it comes and get through to the summer, when it will be a bit less busy. The bank balance is growing steadily, so I will have to keep working away and reminding myself that I can get plenty of rest during the summer.

How are things with you, any other jobs lined up or anything?
Thank you :smile: Best of luck with your Lidl application, let us know how you get on!

Thanks :smile: will do. Also just applied for a 12 hour job at Pets at Home. :smile:
Reply 389
My dad told me yesterday to check my ISA with Halifax...I was on 0.5% interest! I've now changed it to an ISA Saver Online for 2.75%! If he didn't tell me, I wouldn't have noticed!

Also, I'm looking to get a job over the summer to save some money up for university. I've been applying throughout the year to the odd place, but I never hear anything back. The majority of places want experience, but I cannot get experience if I cannot get a job! It's a vicious cycle!
A wee bump.

How is everyone getting on then? I am currently at £1400. I start a full-time job in July, so hopefully that'll bolster the savings big time.
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
Hello TSR Money Bunnies! :rock:

Let's get ready to save!!!!!!!!!!! :afro:

I thought it would be a good idea to set up a club/thread dedicated to saving money , money off offers etc...... Basically we share tips and voucher codes/ links etc..... for offers etc....

But one word of warning: Do not post affiliate links. Because TSR won't allow it and this thread is not for you to post your affiliate links to get cash and whatnot.

If you wish to join post below. If enough people are interested we can create a soc. :smile:

Members

Agent Smirnoff :awesome:

Original post by JohnJoe
The hell.

Sounds good, I'm in. :ahee:

So I saved €50 by not buying that amazing hat I saw. Bank account now says €130.

Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
I'm in

Saved £340 from work so far!! I'll update next week!

Original post by leemkule
I really need to get in on this, I fritter SO much spare cash down the drain and if I saved even some it'd be nice.

Original post by Bill_Gates
15k in savings this year oh yeahr!!

Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
I need to make £3100 by June next year with £2500 due at the end of April.. I'm currently on £1685. It would be easy if I wasn't spending £300 a month before doing anything fun :sigh:

Im at the bit where the guy picks up roadkill ... I might throw up.

I wanna be a member!

Savings:

£1016.

Aiming for £10000 before I finish uni in June 2013 :smile:

Has thread died or something? Come on people, how are the savings going? I need money related chat! :smile:
Has thread died or something? Come on people, how are the savings going? I need money related chat! :smile:

Well I still haven't heard from lidl they said they would be another month getting back to me. And this summer is turning out to be more expensive than I thought so my savings will start getting eaten into :frown: how's yours going?
Well I still haven't heard from lidl they said they would be another month getting back to me. And this summer is turning out to be more expensive than I thought so my savings will start getting eaten into :frown: how's yours going?

I'm sorry to hear that, I hope they get back to you as soon as possible. Hopefully your savings will be back on track soon! :smile: Did they say why they were taking so long?

My summer has been pretty good thus far. I start a full -time job on 16th July, which is good, and getting between 3-5 shifts a week with my two current jobs which are bank work, so getting there slowly but surely :smile:
At the moment saving is non existent. I'm still job hunting with no luck (the last place I got rejected after interview) so I don't know what I am doing atm :sadnod:
I'm sorry to hear that, I hope they get back to you as soon as possible. Hopefully your savings will be back on track soon! :smile: Did they say why they were taking so long?

My summer has been pretty good thus far. I start a full -time job on 16th July, which is good, and getting between 3-5 shifts a week with my two current jobs which are bank work, so getting there slowly but surely :smile:

I've no idea why they're taking so long, I rang them up a while ago and they said its taking between 6-8 weeks to process everyone. what the heck! lol.

Sounds like you're getting on with your saving! :smile: Well done!
Original post by cpdavis
At the moment saving is non existent. I'm still job hunting with no luck (the last place I got rejected after interview) so I don't know what I am doing atm :sadnod:

Persistence is the key my friend. Have you considered voluntary work in the mean time? Believe me, if you stick in, keep working and ride it out, it will all be more than worthwhile. Salvation lies within.
Persistence is the key my friend. Have you considered voluntary work in the mean time? Believe me, if you stick in, keep working and ride it out, it will all be more than worthwhile. Salvation lies within.

Well I've got jobs here and there. At the moment, I'm applying through an agency to become a tutor for GCSE Maths and Science, and A level maths and further maths :yep: Hopefully, that will bring in some money :yep:
Reply 399
Got my P60 for 2011/12 from work. Low and behold I've overpaid income tax by £1200. That is a nice lump sum (tax free of course :smile:) that will be making its way to my ISA. Although it isn't a great way to earn interest, having the government hold onto your money for 9 months is an excellent way to save.

Quick Reply

Latest