The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5460
So I have a UKCAT of 2140 (713 avg) and I was trying to see if there was any point in applying to UKCAT heavy unis (Newcastle, Sheffield, Southampton, etc) or if I should look elsewhere? I can't seem to find any recent cut offs anywhere.
Original post by MLee98
So I have a UKCAT of 2140 (713 avg) and I was trying to see if there was any point in applying to UKCAT heavy unis (Newcastle, Sheffield, Southampton, etc) or if I should look elsewhere? I can't seem to find any recent cut offs anywhere.

I think you have a very good chance :smile:

If you want, wait until the official statistics are out, but I feel like you're probably in with a good chance. I know the Newcastle UKCAT cut-off is usually 680, so you should be fine, unless the UKCAT scores were inflated this year, but I doubt they were.
Hi, My son is an International applicant. Took his UKCAT and got 717 avg (VR 700, QR 750, AR 700, SJT Band 1).
However his IGCSEs are 4A* (all 3 sciences) and 4A. And IB predicted might just about meet entry criterion or might be a little lower. However, going by his previous record he will probably do much better in the actual boards :smile:
Would any med schools consider his application?
Original post by Maz A
Does anyone know any medical shools that aren't too concerned over AS results (I know some candidates will have and some won't have these grades to provide) but any specific Unis that do not mind the AS results? Thank you (yes I flopped my AS going from an A* GCSE student to CBCA is really quite upsetting).

Posted from TSR Mobile

My son is in a similar situation. (He is an International applicant.)
UKCAT: 717 avg (VR 700, QR 750, AR 700, SJT Band 1).
IGCSEs: 4 A* 4A. But IB predicted might just about meet entry criterion or might be a little lower going by his 11th Grade performance.
Please let me know if any medical schools would consider his application.
Thanks,
Original post by rekhagm
My son is in a similar situation. (He is an International applicant.)
UKCAT: 717 avg (VR 700, QR 750, AR 700, SJT Band 1).
IGCSEs: 4 A* 4A. But IB predicted might just about meet entry criterion or might be a little lower going by his 11th Grade performance.
Please let me know if any medical schools would consider his application.
Thanks,

AS actual grades and predicted grades are totally different. Often most med schools dont look at AS achieved grades, there are some that do but most do not, instead they look at predicted grades which are much more important.

You need to be predicted the entry requirements for the medical school you are applying to for consideration 9 times out of 10, some you can apply to with slightly lower predicted grades than the offer will be. You will have to call up some med schools and ask if your son will be considered with certain IB predicted grades. Dont apply to a med school where his IB predicted is lower than the entry requirements without calling and asking first.
VR: 650
QR: 800
AR: 580
SJT: Band 1
Average: 676

UKCAT Universities I should apply to and ones to avoid?
Original post by Maz A
Does anyone know any medical shools that aren't too concerned over AS results (I know some candidates will have and some won't have these grades to provide) but any specific Unis that do not mind the AS results? Thank you (yes I flopped my AS going from an A* GCSE student to CBCA is really quite upsetting).

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://www.themedicportal.com/medical-schools-as-levels-2017-entry/ :smile:
Original post by Natalierm2707
AS actual grades and predicted grades are totally different. Often most med schools dont look at AS achieved grades, there are some that do but most do not, instead they look at predicted grades which are much more important.

You need to be predicted the entry requirements for the medical school you are applying to for consideration 9 times out of 10, some you can apply to with slightly lower predicted grades than the offer will be. You will have to call up some med schools and ask if your son will be considered with certain IB predicted grades. Dont apply to a med school where his IB predicted is lower than the entry requirements without calling and asking first.

Thanks. If his IB predicted scores meet entry requirements, which medical schools in your opinion could he apply with his UKCAT score of 717 avg STJ 1? Would it be safe to consider UKCAT colleges like Kings, NewCastle, Nottingham, Sheffield, Leicester, Manchester, Southampton, SGU? Or are any of these out of league - only for very high UKCAT scores?
Original post by rekhagm
Thanks. If his IB predicted scores meet entry requirements, which medical schools in your opinion could he apply with his UKCAT score of 717 avg STJ 1? Would it be safe to consider UKCAT colleges like Kings, NewCastle, Nottingham, Sheffield, Leicester, Manchester, Southampton, SGU? Or are any of these out of league - only for very high UKCAT scores?

His UKCAT is good but it may not be good enough for newcastle/southampton/glasgow/exeter/plymouth this year, you will have to wait to see if the average score rises.
He should be ok for kings, manchester, nottingham, leicester, sheffield (sheffield have a very very low UKCAT cut off at 600 so he may want to aim a bit higher considering his score - keep this in mind).
His UKCAT is good but it may not be good enough for newcastle/southampton/glasgow/exeter/plymouth this year, you will have to wait to see if the average score rises.
He should be ok for kings, manchester, nottingham, leicester, sheffield (sheffield have a very very low UKCAT cut off at 600 so he may want to aim a bit higher considering his score - keep this in mind).

Thanks much! Where would you place medical schools like St Andrews, St George's and Hull&York on the UKCAT spectrum? From what we could understand, they all place importance on the UKCAT scores, but havent mentioned any cut off. Plus unlike Barts they do not specifically place any weightage on A levels/IB predicted grades
Original post by rekhagm
Thanks much! Where would you place medical schools like St Andrews, St George's and Hull&York on the UKCAT spectrum? From what we could understand, they all place importance on the UKCAT scores, but havent mentioned any cut off. Plus unlike Barts they do not specifically place any weightage on A levels/IB predicted grades

St andrews: consider good academic grades, good ukcat and good personal statement.
SGUL: require good GCSEs and a good UKCAT.
Hull york: require good GCSEs and a good UKCAT.

I would say 650 or above is probably okay but 680 or above is safe depending on whether the years average change.

Posted from TSR Mobile
St andrews: consider good academic grades, good ukcat and good personal statement.
SGUL: require good GCSEs and a good UKCAT.
Hull york: require good GCSEs and a good UKCAT.

I would say 650 or above is probably okay but 680 or above is safe depending on whether the years average change.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot! Can I PM you for any further queries?
Original post by rekhagm
Thanks a lot! Can I PM you for any further queries?

Yes of course. Im currently on holiday so my replies may be slow but i will get around to it. Please pm me if you need more info.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys! I'm considering Cambridge, UCL, Imperial and Edinburgh (someone told me I'm putting all my eggs in one basket but oh well) and I am torn between Cambridge and Oxford. Does anyone have an idea of how each uni ranks the different qualifications?? (eg BMAT, UKCAT, GCSEs, AS, A2 predicted grades??) Thanks!!
GCSE: 8A* 2A
AS: 2A
AL Predictions: 3A* A
UKCAT: 670 😂😢

I'm considering Kings, Imperial, Cambridge and Bristol.
Are these worthwhile med school choices?
Original post by thatawesomekid
GCSE: 8A* 2A
AS: 2A
AL Predictions: 3A* A
UKCAT: 670 😂😢

I'm considering Kings, Imperial, Cambridge and Bristol.
Are these worthwhile med school choices?

Maybe look at Birmingham as your GCSE and UKCAT combined may be good.
Same for Leicester and HYMS. If the As arent in maths english or science and you can get 8A* and 1A to include maths, english and science then what about cardiff.
Your predictions are fab but imperial really dont look to heavily at your grades wheras UCL do, so why not consider UCL instead of imperial unless you are scoring very highly on the BMAT mocks.
Cambridge is always risky but go for it if your AS Ums is high.
Bristol only care about personal statement and its so competative here, i would probably say with your grades you would be better suited somewhere else but its your choice.
Kings looks good!

Pm me if you need some more detailed advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Maybe look at Birmingham as your GCSE and UKCAT combined may be good.
Same for Leicester and HYMS. If the As arent in maths english or science and you can get 8A* and 1A to include maths, english and science then what about cardiff.
Your predictions are fab but imperial really dont look to heavily at your grades wheras UCL do, so why not consider UCL instead of imperial unless you are scoring very highly on the BMAT mocks.
Cambridge is always risky but go for it if your AS Ums is high.
Bristol only care about personal statement and its so competative here, i would probably say with your grades you would be better suited somewhere else but its your choice.
Kings looks good!

Pm me if you need some more detailed advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply! Probably should have stated my A*s include maths, sciences and English, I'll look into UCL and Cardiff for sure 🙂
Original post by thatawesomekid
Thanks for the reply! Probably should have stated my A*s include maths, sciences and English, I'll look into UCL and Cardiff for sure 🙂

Well 100% consider cardiff, UCL, birmingham, kings etc. As they will like that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi!
I'm an Italian applicant and I'd kindly want to know which universities would be the safest choices to put on ucas, because of the way they consider both the Ukcat score (not too much) and personal statements (including experiences ect).
May you advise me, as I seen you (@Natalierm2707) are helping very much here?
Thank you in advance to all

Latest

Trending

Trending