The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham Firmers?

Scroll to see replies

Anyone doing psychology or biology? If so, can I as what grades you got for GCSE/ AS? Thank you and good luck to you all!!
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by Novelist
The above poster clearly isn't aware of what people in influential circles in the business World think of Nottingham. It still enjoys a very good name within the Tory party, and yes it is seen as a prime alternative to Oxbridge still. The introduction of small group teaching and increased spending on facilities should raise the university much higher in the UK and World rankings within the next 5 years. This can easily be funded thanks to the £600 million a year income the university now has, double that of Durham's. This also compares well to Imperial, which as a £770 million annual income.

Is the introduction of small teaching groups recent?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just been confirmed at Nottingham for Modern Languages starting in September!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Exceptional
Is the introduction of small teaching groups recent?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is in their strategic plan from 2015 - 2020.
Original post by C_Richards99
I think you're the one spouting complete utter crap. Time have changed and Nottingham is no longer regarded as a premier institute for undergrads - it is now seen as the likes of Birmingham, Sheffield and Newcastle. How can you expect it to be a prestigious university when someone with AABbb can get in?! It's not even close to the selectivity of Durham and St Andrews when their average student gets A*A*Aaa.
I've looked at the statistics for Economics, Physics and Medicine and again, the quality of St Andrews and Durham's undergrads far outmatch Nottingham's (especially Durham for Physics).

Durham and St Andrews will be regarded as more prestigious (even if they're smaller) because the quality of its students are superior to those at Nottingham. An institution loses its prestige when it starts to priorities increasing funds (through increasing student body) by losing its selectivity (lowering entrance requirements).

You speak ill of Manchester of York, but in all honesty you should be honoured. Manchester and York are seen as better universities worldwide, Nottingham only ranks 171st in the world league tables.

You can only dream that Nottingham will attract the brightest students but statistics speak otherwise.

Nottingham is a good university, but certainly not a top university like St Andrews and especially Durham.

St Andrews is a pale shadow in comparison to Edinburgh, Bristol, Imperial, LSE and UCL, in every way thinkable. Likewise Durham. There is too much about league tables and perception of prestige that deludes students like you on TSR.

What makes you think Nottingham is a good university? What experience have you got about this university? It remains a target university for many top private schools, including Etonians who fancy a career in Veterinary Medicine. It has also maintained it's Sutton Trust status since it was created.

http://summerschools.suttontrust.com/host-universities/
(edited 8 years ago)
:h: You're back!

ngl I've missed you :colondollar:

Interesting what junk you will find if you look at old threads! Your post came up when I hit the search button on St Andrews and Durham.
Original post by King of the Ring
Interesting what junk you will find if you look at old threads! Your post came up when I hit the search button on St Andrews and Durham.

Sure :wink: Welcome back, was wondering why someone was so active in all these reputation-based threads.

Nottingham is a good university, but certainly not a top university like St Andrews and especially Durham.

Having visited Oxbridge and UCL very recently, it seems laughable how much prestige you have tried to label at Durham and St Andrews. Compared to Oxbridge they are like men against boys, they would laugh at flattery, and suffer no rivalry from these much smaller universities. If it were Edinburgh we were talking about, you would have a point, as it is genuinely a World class university, with grounds and the history behind it that even Oxbridge would be proud of.

In short, Durham and St Andrews are not prestigious. If they were, then the whole World would be aware of them and their grounds.
(edited 8 years ago)
Helloo!! anyone in clearing need accommodation? I'm desperately looking for someone to take over my offer at Broadgate Park. It's a self catered accommodation at university park. I have an offer for a studio (ensuite with kitchen)! The reason why i'm not taking up the offer is because my course is based near jubilee campus! Please tell me if you are interested!!! thank you so much!!
Original post by King of the Ring
Having visited Oxbridge and UCL very recently, it seems laughable how much prestige you have tried to label at Durham and St Andrews. Compared to Oxbridge they are like men against boys, they would laugh at flattery, and suffer no rivalry from these much smaller universities. If it were Edinburgh we were talking about, you would have a point, as it is genuinely a World class university, with grounds and the history behind it that even Oxbridge would be proud of.

In short, Durham and St Andrews are not prestigious. If they were, then the whole World would be aware of them and their grounds.

Yeah, they're really not prestigious at all, Nottingham is far more known around the world than both tbf.
Original post by Tibbz2
Yeah, they're really not prestigious at all, Nottingham is far more known around the world than both tbf.

I would agree on that, but Nottingham is the only university in the World to have two major campuses outside of their country.
Original post by LukePearce
Indeed I have too :smile: Are you thinking of accommodation? I want to go self-catered but I'm not sure to go Raleigh Park or Broadgate Park :s-smilie:

im in the same situtation, am going to firm my offer soon but unsure of what accommodation to go to. I really want to be self catered but with a good social life so am swaying towards broadgate, but unsure of the distance to jubilee campus

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending