The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by morning_glory
Hi,

I've got a place to start at Sheffield Hallam entering as a mature student and haven't done any science in over 10 years! I want to do some summer reading to help prepare. I'm thinking human biology, anatomy and oncology.

Anyone got any recommendations for books, online resources or other topics?

Any help much appreciated. Good luck to all with applications and exam results.

Thanks.

Hi
Congrats on starting your course, I've just qualified at BCU.

In terms of books Ross and Wilson physiology and anatomy is a good one to teach you the basics of anatomy, I would suggest something like clinical oncology by Neal and Hoskin and also Ball and Moore essential physics for radiographers is a good one to teach you the physics.
Walter and Miller is very good but can be pricey.
Hope that helps x
Hi guys!! I have received an email with an invitation for an interview, i clicked on the link to register but it lead to a page with displayed:
"There are no events/interviews in this group at this time that need your response."

what should i do?
Original post by helloooo46
Hi guys!! I have received an email with an invitation for an interview, i clicked on the link to register but it lead to a page with displayed:
"There are no events/interviews in this group at this time that need your response."

what should i do?

Hey what uni have you applied for? Ring the university
Original post by talulahjane
Hey what uni have you applied for? Ring the university

Hertfordshire, its now booked - thank you for replying though :smile: Do you know what the tests look like? im so so worried :/
Original post by helloooo46
Hertfordshire, its now booked - thank you for replying though :smile: Do you know what the tests look like? im so so worried :/

I only participated in tests at BCU and UWE and they are not to worry about. The questions are quite similar to the interview questions and you may find you are repeating yourself. Make sure you brush up on why you want to be a radiotherpist, your insight into work placement, what skills a radiotherapist ought to have, the differences between diagnostic and theraputic radiographers, also you may be asked on a clinical based scenario and what skills you would use in the situation or how best to handle the situation. Relax and just remember to answer all the questions. There isnt really a right or wrong answer, they just want to see your perspective and how you are able to answer the questions. Lengthy answers and baffling helps but also make sure you get good points in. Good luck!!!
Please delete - forgot to quote!
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, I am starting Radiotherapy and Oncology at Sheffield Hallam this year. I'm super excited.
I'm 24 so I will be classed as a mature student this time around! I'm kinda glad I've been through the whole university thing before, I definitely will not be giving my liver whats for this time that's for sure.

Anyone else going to Sheff Hallam for RT?

Sarah :smile:
Hi,

I've got a place to start at Sheffield Hallam entering as a mature student and haven't done any science in over 10 years! I want to do some summer reading to help prepare. I'm thinking human biology, anatomy and oncology.

Thanks.

Congrats on the place!

First of all don't worry, I can guarantee you aren't the only mature student and there will be others in the same boat.

I would suggest just focusing on anatomy over the summer. There is a lot to learn and can if you get some of it down before you start you'll be in a good position. I used 'Essential Clinical Anatomy' by Keith Moore. I would also urge you to get the 'CT Anatomy for Radiotherapy' book. Most departments will have a copy and there'll be some in the library but it's a great resource and definitely worth buying your own. I've also got an app called 'Visible Body' which you can get on ios and Android. It's a bit pricey but it's an amazing tool, I think there's a demo version you can try if you're interested. Some people also find anatomy colouring books useful, I saw one in The Works today for £6 if you want to give one a go!

I qualified last year so if you've got any other questions feel free to PM me :smile:
Original post by _kelly_rose_
Oops, so sorry, turns out I'm not great at replying either haha! How are your exams going? Good luck with getting the points, I'm sure you will! :smile:

All over now, finally :biggrin: I'm now concentrating on earning as much money as possible over this summer so I can buy a good laptop. Thank-you, I've got to wait till the 18th August for results day :s-smilie: I'm getting more and more excited about going, I've compiled a list of things I need to buy, but I'm slightly unsure of what to buy for the kitchen.
Original post by sebradder
Hi, I am starting Radiotherapy and Oncology at Sheffield Hallam this year. I'm super excited.
I'm 24 so I will be classed as a mature student this time around! I'm kinda glad I've been through the whole university thing before, I definitely will not be giving my liver whats for this time that's for sure.

Anyone else going to Sheff Hallam for RT?

Sarah :smile:

Yep. Also a mature student (31) but have had the lifestyle of a student for about 13 years now. Oh dear. You having to move to Sheffield? Anything you're wanting to prepare or aren't sure about before you start? I live in Sheffield anyway and am mainly getting into some reading this summer.
Original post by Bubble87
Congrats on the place!

First of all don't worry, I can guarantee you aren't the only mature student and there will be others in the same boat.

I would suggest just focusing on anatomy over the summer. There is a lot to learn and can if you get some of it down before you start you'll be in a good position. I used 'Essential Clinical Anatomy' by Keith Moore. I would also urge you to get the 'CT Anatomy for Radiotherapy' book. Most departments will have a copy and there'll be some in the library but it's a great resource and definitely worth buying your own. I've also got an app called 'Visible Body' which you can get on ios and Android. It's a bit pricey but it's an amazing tool, I think there's a demo version you can try if you're interested. Some people also find anatomy colouring books useful, I saw one in The Works today for £6 if you want to give one a go!

I qualified last year so if you've got any other questions feel free to PM me :smile:

Never would've thought of apps or colouring books. Great ideas, thanks so much for your help. All seems to be about anatomy for now!
Original post by shellsbells04
All over now, finally :biggrin: I'm now concentrating on earning as much money as possible over this summer so I can buy a good laptop. Thank-you, I've got to wait till the 18th August for results day :s-smilie: I'm getting more and more excited about going, I've compiled a list of things I need to buy, but I'm slightly unsure of what to buy for the kitchen.

Ah thank goodness! :smile: yeah, definitely worth having a good laptop! I'm really hoping mine will hold out! Ooh I hope you get what you need! Me too, just want to go now, am tired of being stuck in my tiny little town haha! Kitchen wise, I've only bought one saucepan, one frying pan and a steamer, and just a couple of utensils (wooden spoon, whisk), shouldn't need much more than that I guess? I'm thinking If there's anything I miss I'll just buy it when I'm there, unfortunately I can't pop home to get something i've forgotten, its a little too far! :L Are you part of the facebook group for 2016 UCS applicants? :smile:
Is anyone going to study radiotherapy at UWE?
Original post by _kelly_rose_
Ah thank goodness! :smile: yeah, definitely worth having a good laptop! I'm really hoping mine will hold out! Ooh I hope you get what you need! Me too, just want to go now, am tired of being stuck in my tiny little town haha! Kitchen wise, I've only bought one saucepan, one frying pan and a steamer, and just a couple of utensils (wooden spoon, whisk), shouldn't need much more than that I guess? I'm thinking If there's anything I miss I'll just buy it when I'm there, unfortunately I can't pop home to get something i've forgotten, its a little too far! :L Are you part of the facebook group for 2016 UCS applicants? :smile:

I still haven't bought anything yet, I'm getting really worried about results day now :s-smilie:. Yeah I feel like its way to easy to buy too much stuff that we'll never need so may just buy the bare minimum then get stuff when we get there. I am on the Facebook group but I haven't been on it in a long time, is there much going on, on there? :smile:
Reply 174
Hi,

Thanks.

I'm due to start at Sheffield Hallam as a mature student too (32)! I'm attending the pre-course day on 1st September, is anyone else booked in on that day?
(edited 7 years ago)
Yep, I'm booked for the 1st. Do you know if that is when we find out our placement? Good luck to everyone with results today.
Reply 176
Yep, I'm booked for the 1st. Do you know if that is when we find out our placement? Good luck to everyone with results today.

I'm not sure. I was talking to a current student in her second year and from what she remembers she was sent a letter. But, that could have changed.

I requested Nottingham as my first choice and Derby as my second, so we will have to see!
Original post by Bbbear
I'm due to start at Sheffield Hallam as a mature student too (32)! I'm attending the pre-course day on 1st September, is anyone else booked in on that day?

I'm also attending the pre-course day at 9.15am and I'm also 32! Glad I'm not the only 'mature' student!
Reply 178
Is anyone starting cardiff uni this year? Radiotherapy?
Reply 179
Original post by KatePRT
I'm also attending the pre-course day at 9.15am and I'm also 32! Glad I'm not the only 'mature' student!

I'm booked in at 11:45 - 3:30, so I'm sure we will cross paths at some point! 😀

Latest