The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

3 hours a day for 4 days - can't do full days any more - I like my subjects so it's a shame

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fxlloutboyy
3 hours a day for 4 days - can't do full days any more - I like my subjects so it's a shame

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I can imagine it's tough not being able to do more. The full days are really long though. My longest day is a Monday, 9-5, and that's out of the question so I just do 3 hours in the afternoon

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Nearing the end of my college year. So proud of myself that I've managed through the year, even if my attendance is abysmal. Last time I tried college, I'd completely stopped going in by now and had resigned myself to failing. I was hardly doing anything at all because I was so ill and exhausted from pushing myself too hard through the first few months. Very very proud of myself

So so so proud of you! Is amazing, on so many levels. Almost there!

Well done! What is your attendance? I seem to be doing okay (AAC) with a 65% attendance

This is really good too! Part time is a pain, particularly when there are so many around you doing full apparently effortlessly, but you'll get there and probably be a better person for it. How much longer do you have to go? :smile:

Any advice from people going back into education (more specifically uni), and any ideas how I can prepare for it? My basic plan is do things gradually, try and keep building myself up and get back into studying/ahead on the course a little bit between now and September but open to ideas. Need to talk to the uni about disability stuff too but no idea what I need tbh, and still don't have a diagnosis for most of what's going on other than CFS/depression/NMH
Original post by furryface12

This is really good too! Part time is a pain, particularly when there are so many around you doing full apparently effortlessly, but you'll get there and probably be a better person for it. How much longer do you have to go? :smile:

Any advice from people going back into education (more specifically uni), and any ideas how I can prepare for it? My basic plan is do things gradually, try and keep building myself up and get back into studying/ahead on the course a little bit between now and September but open to ideas. Need to talk to the uni about disability stuff too but no idea what I need tbh, and still don't have a diagnosis for most of what's going on other than CFS/depression/NMH

I have another year, only in Year 12 at the moment.

I'd try maybe reading over anything relevant to the course that you're going to study maybe make some notes, find out how you work well. Make an organisation system - folders,pens, etc organise your desk, just makes you feel more prepared

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by furryface12
So so so proud of you! Is amazing, on so many levels. Almost there!

Thank you :biggrin: It'll all be worth it so long as I get into uni :crossedf:

After only a year out of college, when I went back I think my main problems were with being around so many people again, getting up to alarms, and writing. I know you keep up with some extra-curricular type things, and content for TSR obviously, so that should be really helpful in it not being too much of a shock to the system. Could be worth seeing if there's any recommended reading you could do before you start, and using that to kind of ease yourself in a bit. The uni services are going to be really helpful to you though hopefully, and will be able to help you figure things out before you start, as you're starting, and through your time there. With college I asked to meet with them before I even applied back again and kept in contact with them. I'll be doing the same as uni as well. If I get the grades and everything, I'm going to ask for something of a meeting with them, even if over the internet or something, just to make myself known to them and everything
I have another year, only in Year 12 at the moment.

I'd try maybe reading over anything relevant to the course that you're going to study maybe make some notes, find out how you work well. Make an organisation system - folders,pens, etc organise your desk, just makes you feel more prepared

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay, yeah. That takes a little bit of pressure off at least hopefully :smile:

That's good advice! All of it, having a system always makes things feel better and more under control. I have a couple of books of stuff that'll be covered on the course so think I'm going to try working through them, make notes as though I would for an exam or something and see how that goes. If nothing else at least I'll end up with them as a reference! That's the theory anyway :colondollar:

Thank you :biggrin: It'll all be worth it so long as I get into uni :crossedf:

After only a year out of college, when I went back I think my main problems were with being around so many people again, getting up to alarms, and writing. I know you keep up with some extra-curricular type things, and content for TSR obviously, so that should be really helpful in it not being too much of a shock to the system. Could be worth seeing if there's any recommended reading you could do before you start, and using that to kind of ease yourself in a bit. The uni services are going to be really helpful to you though hopefully, and will be able to help you figure things out before you start, as you're starting, and through your time there. With college I asked to meet with them before I even applied back again and kept in contact with them. I'll be doing the same as uni as well. If I get the grades and everything, I'm going to ask for something of a meeting with them, even if over the internet or something, just to make myself known to them and everything

You will!

Yeah, they're definitely going to be problem :s-smilie: particularly people and writing for any period of time but I struggle looking at my laptop screen too so no right answer there. Support services are on my list to email this week, try and get the ball rolling on that a bit. I live fairly near so hopefully I'll be able to go and see them at some point and have a look at the campus a bit again- the last time I went was several years ago and I'm really not great with new places and stuff like that. See how it goes anyway. Thank you!
Hello everyone! I just wanted to let you all know that the society is properly back in business. I'm now deputy leader, and as far as I'm aware the group is no longer moderated join, so anyone can join as they please. It's also the awareness day today, so make sure to get involved in some of the action if you can! Main thread is here :smile:
Original post by Foo.mp3

Be kind to yourself, believe in yourself, and always put your health and wellness first (knowing that you will achieve things)
Try to make it to as many lectures/classes as possible, even if you just sit there minimally working/engaging. Take a deep breath and note down the key points, then go over lecture slides/course materials in your own time when you can
Try to forge some basic relationships with classmates to help you fill the blanks and overcome any gaps in your understanding, and do return the gesture where/when you can but be clear in your head from the outset that owing to your health situation you must focus on sustainable study activity, that’s the bottom line
Take assignments on as soon as they come up, and pace yourself as you work through them. Use to do lists when you have a number of outstanding tasks but remember that these lists exist so that you can completely disconnect during ‘down time’ and come back to them when your body is ready. Worrying about/rushing the things we have to do won’t get them done any better, any sooner, indeed the reverse is often true and this sort of behaviour can of course spark a relapse
Be prepared to cut back every aspect of your life other than health (first, always) and study
Avoid anything liable to upset health e.g. staying up/out late, drinking, negative/hurtful people etc
Make sure everyone who ought to know, does know, that you have delicate health and need plenty of rest e.g. cohabs, academic, and administrative staff

Meant to reply to this, but this is really good advice! Thank you :biggrin:
Hi all, I'm a carer for a loved one and it really is heartbreaking to read of stories with these wretched illnesses at such a young age. I was part of a 12 minute film documenting carers across the generations - younger and older. It may help give a bit of perspective from the other side, I suppose, if any of you have support of your parents etc. looking after you.

Don't forget to reach out, and encourage your family/friends/carers to do so too if they find themselves in a supporting role and it's clear you couldn't go on without their help. And most importantly, you're not alone. All of you.

[video="youtube;OU_GCu1rkLw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU_GCu1rkLw[/video]

Blessings.
Not sure if people here have been following the PACE trial scandal, but it was featured in the New York Times recently:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/18/opinion/sunday/getting-it-wrong-on-chronic-fatigue-syndrome.html

The UK establishment seems keen to ignore this one.
Since reducing my college hours further I've been able to start cooking for myself again! I mean, it all has to be done sitting down and I can't do repetitive movements, and I need help draining pots and stuff, and I can't so anything difficult or that takes long, but I've been able to do it a fair few times in the past few weeks. I've been a bit happier as well because now that I'm figuring all this out, I feel less like I'll end up starving to death at uni so that's good
I'm really touched to see a sticky about this here, I really hadn't expected this. I'm also somewhat surprised that so many people suffer with it... But it's understandable that a lot of people are run down in the rat-race society we live in. Until a few weeks ago I'd never even heard of chronic fatigue. I haven't been diagnosed yet, my doctors are still trying to rule out other things. I've been in a lot of pain and discomfort lately though, hope to find some answers soon. :frown:

Thought I'd mention for the sake of others, if you hadn't already heard; Stanford University researchers recently identified potential bio-markers for chronic fatigue syndrome, meaning we might see a definitive test for it sometime in the future.
I have health conditions which cause chronic fatigue, but the symptoms I have are that of CFS. It's possible I have CFS but the fatigue is always related to my other conditions and I have accepted that fatigue is a part of my life so a CFS diagnosis wouldn't change my life.
Original post by Rigmarole
I'm really touched to see a sticky about this here, I really hadn't expected this. I'm also somewhat surprised that so many people suffer with it... But it's understandable that a lot of people are run down in the rat-race society we live in. Until a few weeks ago I'd never even heard of chronic fatigue. I haven't been diagnosed yet, my doctors are still trying to rule out other things. I've been in a lot of pain and discomfort lately though, hope to find some answers soon. :frown:

Thought I'd mention for the sake of others, if you hadn't already heard; Stanford University researchers recently identified potential bio-markers for chronic fatigue syndrome, meaning we might see a definitive test for it sometime in the future.

We're the prime age group for it unfortunately. Activity in this thread has reduced the last few years and there's a more general chronic illness one now too, but either is good. But yeah, some of the research coming through is really encouraging- hopefully if they know what's causing it that'll go some way towards being able to treat it, too. Sorry to hear you're maybe being diagnosed with it, but it's good they're investigating at least. Hopefully we all will!

Original post by hannxm
I have health conditions which cause chronic fatigue, but the symptoms I have are that of CFS. It's possible I have CFS but the fatigue is always related to my other conditions and I have accepted that fatigue is a part of my life so a CFS diagnosis wouldn't change my life.

Yeah, it's very difficult to know what causes which parts really. I do have a CFS diagnosis but have since been diagnosed with other things- CFS is definitely one of my conditions but they do tend to merge together sometimes. It's the nature of the beast really and it is a bit of a 'wastepaper bin' diagnosis where nothing else can be found.

Edit: other thread is here if either of you want it :smile: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4840372
(edited 6 years ago)
i don't know if this is the right place to post this but i've had M.E for five years and have recently got a lot worse. i'm in year 13 at college and i'm having to use a wheelchair which has actually saved me so much energy but i'm still really struggling with fatigue and brain fog, especially in my psychology class! does anyone have any advice???
Original post by Anonymous
i don't know if this is the right place to post this but i've had M.E for five years and have recently got a lot worse. i'm in year 13 at college and i'm having to use a wheelchair which has actually saved me so much energy but i'm still really struggling with fatigue and brain fog, especially in my psychology class! does anyone have any advice???

No advice as such except to just say don't push through if it's not working for you. I did (/still do) and made myself so, so much worse for it! If you need to take time out then do it- you can still do them next year and your health is way more important. The other thing is make sure your school know everything that's going on, sounds stupid but keeping them in the loop can really help. Good luck whatever you decide :smile:

Original post by Scorpio.
Wow, I wasn't expecting to see a thread for this on here!
I'm 23 and I was diagnosed with CFS/M.E at 13.

Bit late but welcome :smile:
Reply 776
Original post by Anonymous

The only thing that helped me was complete rest, only ever getting out of bed when I really had saved enough energy to do so, then eating a very 'pure' diet, so no processed foods of any kind, so organic meat, organic fruit and veg, wheat free oats, and nothing that had been processed in any way, - so no tea, coffee, takeaways, jams, packets, tins, no bread, or anything. I gradually found a system of vitamins and supplements that worked for me.

I avoided taking this drastic action until I was absolutely forced to by almost completely collapsing and ending up bedridden and housebound for a year or more, then gradually being able to be out of bed for 10 minutes, then incrementally increasing the time over many months.

If you are getting worse, then your body is trying to tell you to stop, it may not be possible though and it may take a complete body burnout that forces you to stop.

Most people do, really do improve with enough rest, a good diet and supplements, it just takes a very, very long time.

The very best of luck

Lexee
Reply 777
Original post by username165223
You sound like a really nice friend. Wish mine were a bit more, they tend to make jokes I'm skiving and then get annoyed when I do well in exams and stuff saying I don't deserve it cos I haven't been at college as much despite me doing extra stuff at home. Least my boyfriend is fantastically supportive.

If you're friends are not supportive of you, you should maybe reconsider that friendship. Just a suggestion. :smile:
Realllly overdid it this Christmas! Here's hoping that I can still manage my uni timetable when I get back. I'd probably be okay if it wasn't all early mornings :frown:
Realllly overdid it this Christmas! Here's hoping that I can still manage my uni timetable when I get back. I'd probably be okay if it wasn't all early mornings :frown:

Having the same thought process :redface: I have less modules this term but almost all my teaching hours are on one day and can't move... Going to take me the rest of the week just to recover from that I think :frown: but one step at a time. We can do this, and if not then we know we've tried, and it's for the best :hugs:

Latest