The Student Room Group

Oxbridge FAQ!

Scroll to see replies

necessarily benevolent
Well obviously, you'd hardly give a second look to a Physics applicant taking Drama, Photography, DT and Accounting would you?

wait thats what im taking, you mean i cant go to harvard to study physics?
Reply 401
Terrorfication
Absolute crap, every year dozens of people that deserve to go to oxbridge dont, because of flaws in the system. Similarly every year dozens of people that dont deserve to go to oxbridge so because of flas in the system. Dont use generalising sweeping statements because they be massivly inaccurately potentially dangerously and mentally wrong.

You do realise you've just quoted a post which is over five years old, don't you?
hobnob
You do realise you've just quoted a post which is over five years old, don't you?

Hobnob do you understand the Oxbridge MA thing? Do all BA Cantab/Oxons become MA at some point? I read Cambridge's policy on their site, but it was a bit confusing and used long words :frown:
Reply 403
T-o dore
Hobnob do you understand the Oxbridge MA thing? Do all BA Cantab/Oxons become MA at some point? I read Cambridge's policy on their site, but it was a bit confusing and used long words :frown:

You don't 'become' an MA automatically. What happens is that after a certain period of time you become eligible to take your MA. Apparently Cambridge counts from the date of finishing the course and Oxford counts from the date of matriculation, but for most people it will amount to the same thing: about seven years after you started your course. Your college will usually send you a letter once the seven years have passed, and after that it's pretty much a matter of filling in a form and paying a small sum of money (about £10). Your proud parents may or may not get to attend a second degree ceremony, but overall, it really isn't that big a deal. If you think this is just a bit of pointless fuss (and I reckon that quite a few people will), you stay a BA, but you'll still be able to take your MA at any point in the future if you so wish.
Reply 404
You make it sound like you get an ma for 10 pounds. Do you get an ma for 10 quid? Sorry I'm using an american k/board I'll give you a tenner if you can find the pound sign. Take/give all sounds a bit liberal.
I think though that if you pass without honours you wont get an ma:will you? t bears no relephants 2 me I would still have to do the honest labour to get an ma w/ever.
Reply 405
Tom Wells
You make it sound like you get an ma for 10 pounds. Do you get an ma for 10 quid? Sorry I'm using an american k/board I'll give you a tenner if you can find the pound sign. Take/give all sounds a bit liberal.
I think though that if you pass without honours you wont get an ma:will you? t bears no relephants 2 me I would still have to do the honest labour to get an ma w/ever.

It's not an actual MA, though, and any employer with more than two brain cells to rub together will know that and realise it's not a postgraduate degree. You're making it sound like some kind of unfair advantage, when really it isn't. It just symbolically makes you a full member of the university, but it's not really 'worth' anything. Which is why a lot of people don't even bother with it.

Oh, and it's Alt + 156, by the way.:wink:
H&E
if you've got a choice between a well respected subject and a one viewed a soft touch (say, history or critical thinking) do the respected one.

History is a soft subject? I want to do Biology (OCR), History (OCR), Chemistry (OCR) and English lit. (AQA) at AS level, and hope to apply in the future to Oxford for Biological sciences (I would probably drop English Lit. for A2 + do the Extended Project as well)

Is that not "respectable" enough? :s-smilie:
Niki_girl
History is a soft subject? I want to do Biology (OCR), History (OCR), Chemistry (OCR) and English lit. (AQA) at AS level, and hope to apply in the future to Oxford for Biological sciences (I would probably drop English Lit. for A2 + do the Extended Project as well)

Is that not "respectable" enough? :s-smilie:

No. He meant history (well respected) vs crit think (soft touch). Your subjects sound good... well done.
T-o dore
No. He meant history (well respected) vs crit think (soft touch). Your subjects sound good... well done.

Oh sorry! :rolleyes: That's reassured me! :biggrin:
Reply 409
Questionnn!

Basically I'm looking at Physics at Oxford. My A-levels are Physics, Maths and DT Product Design, AS Further Maths, and AS Chemistry. I'm endeavouring to have 3 Mechanics modules done in time for Uni. Question is, is dropping Chemistry for DT Product Design for A2 going to be that detrimental?

I'm dropping Chemistry because I find it a bit tedious, whereas with DT I really enjoy the coursework, and for my A2 coursework I'll be making an experiment for the Physics department so I could integrate it well into my personal statement. However, I'm a bit concerned that DT may be seen as a soft touch compared to Chemistry (in my opinion it is), being 60% or so coursework. Will they really mind that I'm doing it ahead of Chemistry, providing I do well with my Physics and Maths?

Thank you :smile:

Ooh also!
If you can do 4 A2's, do so;

but I don't be disadvantaged with 3 rightt? D:
Aantttt
Questionnn!

Basically I'm looking at Physics at Oxford. My A-levels are Physics, Maths and DT Product Design, AS Further Maths, and AS Chemistry. I'm endeavouring to have 3 Mechanics modules done in time for Uni. Question is, is dropping Chemistry for DT Product Design for A2 going to be that detrimental?

I'm dropping Chemistry because I find it a bit tedious, whereas with DT I really enjoy the coursework, and for my A2 coursework I'll be making an experiment for the Physics department so I could integrate it well into my personal statement. However, I'm a bit concerned that DT may be seen as a soft touch compared to Chemistry (in my opinion it is), being 60% or so coursework. Will they really mind that I'm doing it ahead of Chemistry, providing I do well with my Physics and Maths?

Thank you :smile:

Ooh also!

but I don't be disadvantaged with 3 rightt? D:

Drop Product Design AND Chemistry, and do Further Maths till A2 level. :yep:
Reply 411
im so academic
Drop Product Design AND Chemistry, and do Further Maths till A2 level. :yep:

Would if I could, but it's unfeasible. Hence why I'm doing 3 mechanics modules to help out a little, and I can probably self-teach those without a problem. Wouldn't stand a chance with FP2 though D:
hiya, im just wondering how much can extenuating circumstances can help when applying for oxford?? i know a donkey has more chance of getting in then me for oxford but during my a levels my mom was diagnosed for having a tumour and she kept getting headaches and lightheadedness so basically for the last 2 years i have been looking after her and my younger brothers like cooking and cleaning and shopping (my mums a single parent). she is due surgery soon as well. due to all these problems i havent been able to concentrate on my a levels very much. i only came out with ABBB ( A in accounts, B in business, B in economics, B in maths). although the business paper is getting remarked ( my module marks in it came out as AAAC which doesnt seem right, the whole year is getting remarked) so could be AABB. i plan to resit economics unit 1 paper to get it to an A. do you think oxford will give me any consideration for my family circumstances? i am prepared to phone and beg them and even go down to oxford and speak to head of colleges and subjects if there is any hope for getting in? i want to apply for economics and finance. oh and for the record my GCSE's were:
Science A* Additional Science A* Math A* R.E A* (100%) Business (BTEC) A*,A*,A*,A* (100%) English Lit (A) English Lang. (B) Geography (B) IT (B)

any advice would be great thanks. i have a strong PS as well and i can show if needed is there any chance for a interview to convince them that i can do better? i am going local (keele) this year due to my mums operation but hopefully when that goes well i plan to re-apply to better unis such as nottingham and york (which i got in for but had to reject due to family) but the idea of oxford just popped into my head
Aantttt
Would if I could, but it's unfeasible. Hence why I'm doing 3 mechanics modules to help out a little, and I can probably self-teach those without a problem. Wouldn't stand a chance with FP2 though D:

Hi, I'd say it'd probably be a really good idea to do FP2, it's not as bad as you think! See if you can get hold of a textbook and check it out.

Perhaps consider doing A2 Further Maths in your own time? I think it'd be really useful for your course. Also, Chemistry is generally seen as less of a soft subject than DT (although I can see why DT might be useful), so given the choice I think you'd be better off doing Maths, Physics and Chemistry. :smile:

Edit: Just saw that you're doing three mechanics modules; M3 is supposed to be harder than FP2!
Reply 414
Ignoramus
Hi, I'd say it'd probably be a really good idea to do FP2, it's not as bad as you think! See if you can get hold of a textbook and check it out.

Perhaps consider doing A2 Further Maths in your own time? I think it'd be really useful for your course. Also, Chemistry is generally seen as less of a soft subject than DT (although I can see why DT might be useful), so given the choice I think you'd be better off doing Maths, Physics and Chemistry. :smile:

Edit: Just saw that you're doing three mechanics modules; M3 is supposed to be harder than FP2!

I've decided what I'm doing :p: I've done M1 and will take that in January along with M2 I intend to learn this term, then give M3 my best shot in June and just see how it goes. I've dropped chem and taken DT on to A2. If Oxford don't like that, then meh it's a long shot anyway, I'd prefer to go elsewheres and than take something that genuinely interests me and I am confident of A/A* in, over something that I don't like too much, in order to improve what will still be a slim chance for Oxford.

Thank you for your advice anyway :smile:
Aantttt
I've decided what I'm doing :p: I've done M1 and will take that in January along with M2 I intend to learn this term, then give M3 my best shot in June and just see how it goes. I've dropped chem and taken DT on to A2. If Oxford don't like that, then meh it's a long shot anyway, I'd prefer to go elsewheres and than take something that genuinely interests me and I am confident of A/A* in, over something that I don't like too much, in order to improve what will still be a slim chance for Oxford.

Thank you for your advice anyway :smile:

Oh right sure, no problem and good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 416
Does Oxford see your participation in activities unrelated to your program of choice to be a negative? I am in the midst of completing an art foundation program and also working steadily towards the completion of my A-levels. The best case scenario is they will simply ignore my other activities, and worst case is they will take it as lack of commitment or passion for my subject.

I have heard of many applicants (successful ones, too) having many interests and being in various extracurricular activities that fall outside their degree subject. So is it such a stretch to hope Oxford will not see artistic pursuits as a downpoint? I don't know...

For the record, I'm interested in Human Sciences or Archaeology & Anthropology and both are fairly broad subjects as Oxford degrees go.

I'm also applying as a mature student.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 417
Can you get into oxford with only three alevels. No AS. Has it been done?
Reply 418
Original post by redcar
Can you get into oxford with only three alevels. No AS. Has it been done?

Well, it's standard for people to take an extra AS, so they'd probably expect you to have a good reason for not having done one... Also, you'd better email colleges about this in advance, to make sure that the one you're applying to doesn't have a problem with it.
Reply 419
AS/A2 choices:
AS/A2 choices should be as academic as possible. If you can do 4 A2's, do so; if you're a scientist and Further Maths is available, take it; if you've got a choice between a well respected subject and a one viewed a soft touch (say, history or critical thinking) do the respected one.

History is a soft touch?:eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending