The Student Room Group

Big man charged with assault for removing fare dodger from train

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by GETREALDOOD
The left wing win again, what a country, it's dead.

Erm do you realise thats theres a big story behind it, according reports the 'fare dodger' had apparently bought the wrong ticket and was about to explain his situation....the big man made the situation worse
Reply 61
It makes me ****ing sad when someone is charged for doing GOOD. That is what this country has come to.
Original post by Iqbal007
Erm do you realise thats theres a big story behind it, according reports the 'fare dodger' had apparently bought the wrong ticket and was about to explain his situation....the big man made the situation worse

1 - His story has changed a few times, so I do not personally believe it.
2 - If is story is correct, then he should have sorted it out at the earliest chance, which he did not do.
3 - There is no excuse at all for his behaviour, and indeed being so abusive towards the guard is itself a valid reason to be chucked off the train.
TSR is so left-wing at times. The little **** was swearing in front of other children and holding up the entire train. I'd have done exactly the same (if i was as big as 'big man').
Reply 64
Original post by Iqbal007

Have you actually seen the video? He showed him the only ticket he had, which was for his journey going the other way, therefore he can't have had the right ticket. He just kept saying "i've paid" while swearing in the middle of a packed carriage, presumabely with children on it. He deserved everything he got.
Reply 65
Original post by desijut
How would you propose he got kicked off the train? The other passengers were most likely thankful to the big guy for getting the train moving again. Strong oppressing the weak? The big guy would not have stepped in if the kid had just got off the train when asked politely.

Well, when I watched that vid, the kid kept saying he'd paid. So people make mistakes, maybe he had actually paid! and even if he hadn't paid, that man had no right to man handle him off the train! Cmon, what would the country be like if anyone just man handled anyone else on a mere whim? we have police and other officials in power for that, you could be in a supermarket, and if I thought i saw you stealing something I wouldn't come over and manhandle you, I would let the people in charge know. We can't take the law into our own hands, the ticket collector failed to do his job, it wasn't for him to get someone else to do it
What I couldn't understand, as mentioned already by someone on TV, is why couldn't they have called the police and have them waiting at the next station. That way, the ticket inspector wouldn't have had to have wasted other commuter's time by holding up the train.
The 'Big Man' was nothing more than a brute throwing his weight around. He was using absolutely unnecessary force - has anyone actually seen the video , especially the bit where he is actually throwing him off the train? It looks painful.
There was no need and he deserves what he gets.
Original post by internet tough guy
What I couldn't understand, as mentioned already by someone on TV, is why couldn't they have called the police and have them waiting at the next station. That way, the ticket inspector wouldn't have had to have wasted other commuter's time by holding up the train.

Exactly. I expect that failure to at least attempt to deal with this in a proper manner has led to the decision to prosecute.
Reply 69
Original post by wizzar
Well, when I watched that vid, the kid kept saying he'd paid. So people make mistakes, maybe he had actually paid! and even if he hadn't paid, that man had no right to man handle him off the train! Cmon, what would the country be like if anyone just man handled anyone else on a mere whim? we have police and other officials in power for that, you could be in a supermarket, and if I thought i saw you stealing something I wouldn't come over and manhandle you, I would let the people in charge know. We can't take the law into our own hands, the ticket collector failed to do his job, it wasn't for him to get someone else to do it

If I caught someone shoplifting I'd choke them out.
Reply 70
Original post by buchanan700
The 'Big Man' was nothing more than a brute throwing his weight around. He was using absolutely unnecessary force - has anyone actually seen the video , especially the bit where he is actually throwing him off the train? It looks painful.
There was no need and he deserves what he gets.

Exactly my point too. You can't just go around assaulting people because they're being annoying. I take the train everyday and the amount of people who piss me off at 6am in the morning is beyond ridiculous and yet I have to stay calm and collected. This big guy needs to learn that just cause he's big doesn't mean he can push others around (mind you he had no reason to since the kid was arguing with the conductor).

The most this guy shouldve done is yelled at the kid, which wouldve been perfectly fine.
Reply 71
railway tickets are different to normal tickets. like some car park tickets they incur a fine if they aren't paid (which can be enforced by law). there is no criminal action, only breach. the guy could 'only' use reasonable force to make a citizen's arrest, which would, i assume, be to ask the train driver to lock the doors and wait.
Reply 72
Original post by internet tough guy

Because as bad as fare dodging is, the police probably couldn't care too much about this, and it looked like a busy train so the ticket inspector probably was very busy with his duties.

The lad probably knew this and thought he could just get away with it because "What is the ticket inspector gona do, physically chuck me off? :rolleyes: " - well, yes, that's what needs to be done. Too many people think they can get away with 'minor' offences such as this because people can't be bothered to actually punish them (the effort of doing this is more than the effort of just ignoring it). But then if you ignore it it just gets worse as more people do it.

I agree that the "big man" was a little too physical about it, but if I had had a long day at work, got on the train wanting to get home and some idiot was holding the train up by arguing with the inspector, I'd personally want to pick him up and throw him off the train too. And I bet most of the others on the train would agree with me.
Original post by I<3LAMP
I also think they wanted to use him as an example so people don't start taking the law into their own hands and thinking being violent is ok.

I understand why they've done it, but I still feel bad for the guy. :erm:

Perhaps. But even then making an example of someone can sometimes be over the top itself.
Well I guess we'll see how it all turns out.
Reply 74
Chances are he'll get off with some community service or something.
Original post by flamer
railway tickets are different to normal tickets. like some car park tickets they incur a fine if they aren't paid (which can be enforced by law). there is no criminal action, only breach. the guy could 'only' use reasonable force to make a citizen's arrest, which would, i assume, be to ask the train driver to lock the doors and wait.

A citizens arrest in this case would be unlawful.

The only thing a member of the public could do would be to use reasonable force in order to prevent a crime. However there are two problems:

1) Was the force reasonable and was it used in the prevention of crime?
2) This law only applies to England and Wales - I have no idea what the Scottish equivalent is.
Reply 76
yersterday it cost me £10 to go from one a zone 3 destination in london to zone 2 destination so i can't imagine train fares in scotland and i would've loved to doge my train fare. just saying
Original post by dobbs
Because as bad as fare dodging is, the police probably couldn't care too much about this, and it looked like a busy train so the ticket inspector probably was very busy with his duties.

The lad probably knew this and thought he could just get away with it because "What is the ticket inspector gona do, physically chuck me off? :rolleyes: " - well, yes, that's what needs to be done. Too many people think they can get away with 'minor' offences such as this because people can't be bothered to actually punish them (the effort of doing this is more than the effort of just ignoring it). But then if you ignore it it just gets worse as more people do it.

I agree that the "big man" was a little too physical about it, but if I had had a long day at work, got on the train wanting to get home and some idiot was holding the train up by arguing with the inspector, I'd personally want to pick him up and throw him off the train too. And I bet most of the others on the train would agree with me.

Oh come on, are the police really going to say, ''sorry mate, on your own''.

If thats the case, what do we pay our taxes for then? Their job is to deal with altercations like this.
Reply 78
Original post by WearyWill
****inglol. Seriously didn't think people were too bothered about rep until I read this.

Prioritise.

People take this neg thing too seriously haha, Im at -93 right now :P
Reply 79
Big Man deserved what he got and deserves years in prison. If I was judge and there was death penalty in this country I will have him hanged. You cannot go round pushing innocent little kids around just not acceptable in this society!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending