The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Craghyrax
This really hasn't been my week :frown:
I've got a raging migraine right now from the stress of it, but since I'm the sole organiser for our monthly PhD socials, I have to go along to the March one this evening at the pub even though I won't be able to hear anyone (got an ear infection) or drink (can't drink with the migraine painkillers) and even though its looking like a tiny smattering are actually going to make it this evening. I would reschedule it but I don't have mobile numbers and don't think the smattering would get the message on facebook on time...
House hunting has just been awful, as expected. It takes up all one's time and energy, and each time you see a place you feel really rushed to make a decision because loads of othe

r people are also viewing and they go so fast. Overall I'm just really stressed about what impact the whole thing is going to have on my work. The longer I search, the bigger the distraction. But if I don't choose the right place it might be really hard to settle down and work well at home and so forth.

This week our boiler broke, and the sockets in all the upstairs rooms (and my office) went down.

So all in all I'm feeling a bit :argh:

Seems like a fairly justified rant to me! :hugs: hope you find somewhere nice soon! And I'm sure people would understand if you didn't make it tonight! They can look after themselves.
Reply 1261
Original post by scarlet ibis
Seems like a fairly justified rant to me! :hugs: hope you find somewhere nice soon! And I'm sure people would understand if you didn't make it tonight! They can look after themselves.

This ( all of it).
Thanks guys :o:
Original post by Athena
There's another academic with my name and initials! But fortunately a different field (and a different first name).

My h-index is 1, because I'm only an author on 1 paper (but it's had 98 citations in 14 months :biggrin: )
:eviltongue:
Wow, my colleague has been called to the jury-ish thing (different system here) for the 22nd July terrorist attacks trial...don't think I'll be seeing her at work for a long time after it starts!
I've always thought being on jury duty would be fun :ninja:
I've always thought being on jury duty would be fun :ninja:

This is an insane amount of responsibility though. She's going to be playing a huge part in Norwegian history, essentially. It's a pretty enormous role, the whole thing is completely unprecedented. I don't know how I'd react if it were me. Thankfully I'm not a Norwegian citizen so it never will be me!

Also, sorry to hear about your week. I don't think you need to go to the social. I'd stay in and get some rest if I were you :yep:
Reply 1267
Original post by scarlet ibis
Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks! This evening it feels like the worst is over, at least.
I invigilated an exam in prison earlier this week, and thinking back to the discussion we all had a few pages back I laughed a little. I felt like a lion tamer at times.

I took the day off work and went to libraries in Newcastle and shopping in the Metro Centre. I bought Lana Del Rey's album. I am not sure how I feel about this... (My girlfriend insists this makes me gay!)
Reply 1269
Suggestion: should you be one of those people who are rather rotund around the middle with thin little legs, please, please do not wear an incredibly bright yellow shirt with black horizontal stripes. I just saw someone like this. :facepalm: . I was tempted to go closer to see if I could hear him buzzing.
Original post by sj27
Suggestion: should you be one of those people who are rather rotund around the middle with thin little legs, please, please do not wear an incredibly bright yellow shirt with black horizontal stripes. I just saw someone like this. :facepalm: . I was tempted to go closer to see if I could hear him buzzing.

:rofl:
Reply 1271
On another subject - can anyone recommend a website that has a decent walking tour of Cambridge?
Original post by sj27
On another subject - can anyone recommend a website that has a decent walking tour of Cambridge?

Do you need one? :s-smilie: Its pretty small and straightforward really. I'd walk from Trumpington street (Peterhouse and Pembroke) onto King's Parade. At Gonville and Cauis I'd take a left down Senate Passage, see Trinity Hall and turn right on Trinity Lane which takes you back to Trinity Street which you turned off at by Gonville and Cauis. I'd continue down Trinity street, seeing John's and Trinity. At the round church turn left and go over the bridge. See Magdalene. About turn and go past the round church again, this time heading up Sidney street which is the other branch of the fork to the one you went down (Trumpington street, Kings Parade, Trinity street all one line). Continue up Sidney street seeing Sidney Sussex, Christs and Emmanuel. Carry on down this road until it turns into Regent street and go to Downing.
That's the city centre + the older colleges done!
Reply 1273
Do you need one? :s-smilie: Its pretty small and straightforward really. I'd walk from Trumpington street (Peterhouse and Pembroke) onto King's Parade. At Gonville and Cauis I'd take a left down Senate Passage, see Trinity Hall and turn right on Trinity Lane which takes you back to Trinity Street which you turned off at by Gonville and Cauis. I'd continue down Trinity street, seeing John's and Trinity. At the round church turn left and go over the bridge. See Magdalene. About turn and go past the round church again, this time heading up Sidney street which is the other branch of the fork to the one you went down (Trumpington street, Kings Parade, Trinity street all one line). Continue up Sidney street seeing Sidney Sussex, Christs and Emmanuel. Carry on down this road until it turns into Regent street and go to Downing.
That's the city centre + the older colleges done!

Oh, OK, thanks :smile: My last visit was rather haphazard for various reasons and I think I missed a fair bit of what you've described (though did spend a while punting along the Cam and drinking...)
Reply 1274
Original post by sj27

:rofl: PRSOM.

Does anyone else find the new forum bug of displaying all threads as read (as opposed to displaying them all as unread) even more annoying?:frown:
Original post by sj27
Oh, OK, thanks :smile: My last visit was rather haphazard for various reasons and I think I missed a fair bit of what you've described (though did spend a while punting along the Cam and drinking...)

Might those two facts be connected...? :lol:
We saw somewhere today that was not amazing but nice. In the right area. Got white goods. Big kitchen. Right number of rooms... The question is do you snap it up, or keep looking until you find somewhere you like loads? And there's no time to decide. We have to ask for that place this afternoon or give it up.
:sigh:
We saw somewhere today that was not amazing but nice. In the right area. Got white goods. Big kitchen. Right number of rooms... The question is do you snap it up, or keep looking until you find somewhere you like loads? And there's no time to decide. We have to ask for that place this afternoon or give it up.
:sigh:

Take it. Frankly, finding somewhere on a recent graduate/studentish budget that doesnt make your toes curl is a win. As long as the kitchen and bathroom don't make you feel queasy, its near a bus route, and the noise thing is ok for you, I would take it.
Original post by ice_cube
Take it. Frankly, finding somewhere on a recent graduate/studentish budget that doesnt make your toes curl is a win. As long as the kitchen and bathroom don't make you feel queasy, its near a bus route, and the noise thing is ok for you, I would take it.

I broadly agree, however I think Norwich is unusually good for accommodation and that somewhere better could turn up. I might regret a hasty decision.
However if I carry on waiting for something optimal this house hunting will eat up my whole life and basically scupper my PhD (or getting it done in 3 years).
(edited 12 years ago)
I broadly agree, however I think Norwich is unusually good for accommodation and that somewhere better could turn up. I might regret a hasty decision.
However if I carry on waiting for something optimal this house hunting will eat up my whole life and basically scupper my PhD (or getting it done in 3 years).

I think that looks lovely. And yes, that is the other issue, that you can continue searching forever and lose your life to it. At least if you sign it you can be happy and calm and get on with things! Is it in a good location?
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest