The Student Room Group

OCR F297 Strategic Management Case Study Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Ive got both case study analysis from tutor2u and apt.

If you have the demand i could send them to you for a small donation.
Reply 121
Original post by wwelol
maybe look at interest rates etc
that defo will come up it stands out

and can u help me
on the descion to open market harworth what market research should they collect?

Ok thank you

Perhaps
- average houses
- what rental business is like - such as how may houses are being rented there
- what the population of the town is
- look at the competition and what they are offering and at what prices cause slsl revenue only comes from commission so if there are charging to much then perhaps potential customers would go to the competition

I doubt that would come up because that isn't in the spec but could be related for strategic decision to open market Haworth.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 122
Original post by hanny.pham
Ive got both case study analysis from tutor2u and apt.

If you have the demand i could send them to you for a small donation.

I've got apt and found tutor2u in the Internet.
Tutor2u is really disappointing

But thanks any way.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 123
Original post by ameena.milly
hey

does anyone if the apt notes critical path analysis is right because zig-zag resources have a different answers.

does anyone know which one the correct one is?

thank you

--
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 124
Original post by Moyosola
I found that the APT answers were incorrect as well, so it would help if you posted the answers in the Zig-Zag resource and I'll doublecheck with my 'correct' answers, then post them up later.

The APT answers are incorrect?!
Reply 125
I found that the APT answers were incorrect as well, so it would help if you posted the answers in the Zig-Zag resource and I'll doublecheck with my 'correct' answers, then post them up later.

Oh ok i think apt are correct cause i wanted to double check I emailed my old teacher and she said they were correct the apt notes were right and zig zag were wrong

What did u get for the answers?

thank you much appreciated

This was posted from The Student Room's iPad App
Reply 126
I have the APT notes for this unit.
Will send to anyone for a small £5 donation, trying to recoup a bit of the £50 that I invested.
Send me a PM.

Good luck to all!
Reply 127
Does anyone mind to start posting up some more essays that they have done whether it be the apt essay questions they have attempted or ones set from teachers..i'm also willing to post up some essays as its good for revision :smile:

+

does anyone know what the regular pattern of question marks are?? e.g. would you be answering a 13 marker, 16 marker two 18 markers and a 20 marker.
Reply 128
Original post by Emy25
Does anyone mind to start posting up some more essays that they have done whether it be the apt essay questions they have attempted or ones set from teachers..i'm also willing to post up some essays as its good for revision :smile:

+

does anyone know what the regular pattern of question marks are?? e.g. would you be answering a 13 marker, 16 marker two 18 markers and a 20 marker.

Regular pattern is
13,18,18, 18, 23

Reply 129
Original post by ameena.milly
Oh ok i think apt are correct cause i wanted to double check I emailed my old teacher and she said they were correct the apt notes were right and zig zag were wrong

What did u get for the answers?

thank you much appreciated

Original post by oli_042
The APT answers are incorrect?!

Sorry guys.:colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 130
False alarm, I was actually misinformed. I went to talk to my teacher today, and she went through it step-by-step, and I also checked with another teacher.
The girl who explained it to me explained it wrong, it took me a while to get CPA.
Sorry guys.:colondollar:

No worries! I thought they were right as our class went through CPA the other day and it seemed all right! :smile:
Reply 131
can anyone explain a simple and clear way of gaining affective L1 (knowledge/ description) , L2 (case study context) ,L3 (analysis) ,L4 (evaluation) USING SLSL as an example???

i just need a clarification or atleast a brief example :smile: so my writing can flow and i can gain those analysis and evaluative marks more easily without having to write loads because showing analysis once will automatically put you in the low band of level 3 gaining you between 8-11 marks depending on how many times you analyse- from the apt seminar material.
Reply 132
Original post by Emy25
can anyone explain a simple and clear way of gaining affective L1 (knowledge/ description) , L2 (case study context) ,L3 (analysis) ,L4 (evaluation) USING SLSL as an example???

i just need a clarification or atleast a brief example :smile: so my writing can flow and i can gain those analysis and evaluative marks more easily without having to write loads because showing analysis once will automatically put you in the low band of level 3 gaining you between 8-11 marks depending on how many times you analyse- from the apt seminar material.

According to my teacher, the most effective way to get into L3 and L4 immediately is to analyse AND evaluate in every paragraph. so that if you run out of time and can't get a conclusion in, you would have gained some L3/L4 marks.

So for SLSL moving away from the high street to become a website-only estate agency, you might say "Having a physical presence on the high street is beneficial for an estate agency as it provides a contact point for both vendors and buyers..." for L1 [knowledge of the estate agency/housing industry and how it works].
To get into L2, you might say "According to the case study, a significant amount of SLSL's awareness was derived from the website, thus it is beneficial to be online. However, there is no evidence that a website-only form of operation will be suitable for the business in terms of attracting vendors and buyers alike; and it is possible that vendors are attracted to SLSL because of the offices [see case study for where it talks about the design of the offices].”For L3, you might want to include some figures as it shows you’re using the information in the case material to make and justify a point, so “Getting rid of the high street presence might cause a significant loss for SLSL. In Table 4, there is a section that says “Other/No Data 2%/3%/9%”, and this could count for awareness derived from having a high street presence. If SLSL were to get rid of the offices, it is at risk of losing an estimated £34,329 in commission. This amount is very close to the business’ objective of a 4% increase in revenue (at £34,758), thus moving away from the high street will not be a financially suitable option for SLSL. Every strategic decision should work towards achieving a business’ objective, and this may prove to do the opposite, therefore it is not recommended that SLSL operates as a website-only agency.”
Reply 133
Original post by moyosola
according to my teacher, the most effective way to get into l3 and l4 immediately is to analyse and evaluate in every paragraph. So that if you run out of time and can't get a conclusion in, you would have gained some l3/l4 marks.

So for slsl moving away from the high street to become a website-only estate agency, you might say "having a physical presence on the high street is beneficial for an estate agency as it provides a contact point for both vendors and buyers..." for l1 [knowledge of the estate agency/housing industry and how it works].
To get into l2, you might say "according to the case study, a significant amount of slsl's awareness was derived from the website, thus it is beneficial to be online. However, there is no evidence that a website-only form of operation will be suitable for the business in terms of attracting vendors and buyers alike; and it is possible that vendors are attracted to slsl because of the offices [see case study for where it talks about the design of the offices].”for l3, you might want to include some figures as it shows you’re using the information in the case material to make and justify a point, so “getting rid of the high street presence might cause a significant loss for slsl. In table 4, there is a section that says “other/no data 2%/3%/9%”, and this could count for awareness derived from having a high street presence. If slsl were to get rid of the offices, it is at risk of losing an estimated £34,329 in commission. This amount is very close to the business’ objective of a 4% increase in revenue (at £34,758), thus moving away from the high street will not be a financially suitable option for slsl. Every strategic decision should work towards achieving a business’ objective, and this may prove to do the opposite, therefore it is not recommended that slsl operates as a website-only agency.”

perfect and clearly explained :smile: thank you very much
Reply 134
Any predictions anyone for the 13, 18, 18, 20 or 23 marker for this paper??

my teacher predicts CPA will come up and possibly as a 13 marker then a macroeconomic factors question and that is it so far, he is still looking into the case study.
Reply 135
Original post by Emy25
Any predictions anyone for the 13, 18, 18, 20 or 23 marker for this paper??

my teacher predicts CPA will come up and possibly as a 13 marker then a macroeconomic factors question and that is it so far, he is still looking into the case study.

For the finance section is the critical path analysis the only thing that's coming up

And not balance sheet?

Thank you

Reply 136
Does anyone know approximate timings for this exam???

I know we have 2 hours but how should we divide our time between each question? :smile:
Reply 137
Original post by ATCAdam
Does anyone know approximate timings for this exam???

I know we have 2 hours but how should we divide our time between each question? :smile:

Worked it out! :smile:

13 marker: 15 minutes

18 marker: 22 minutes

23 marker: 30 minutes

That leaves 9/10 minutes for planning and checking answers.

Does this sound realistic/wise to everyone?
Reply 138
Original post by ATCAdam
Worked it out! :smile:

13 marker: 15 minutes

23 marker: 30 minutes

That leaves 9/10 minutes for planning and checking answers.

Does this sound realistic/wise to everyone?

Or would 20 minutes for each 18 marker and then 35 for the 23 be best? :s-smilie:
According to my teacher, the most effective way to get into L3 and L4 immediately is to analyse AND evaluate in every paragraph. so that if you run out of time and can't get a conclusion in, you would have gained some L3/L4 marks.

So for SLSL moving away from the high street to become a website-only estate agency, you might say "Having a physical presence on the high street is beneficial for an estate agency as it provides a contact point for both vendors and buyers..." for L1 [knowledge of the estate agency/housing industry and how it works].
To get into L2, you might say "According to the case study, a significant amount of SLSL's awareness was derived from the website, thus it is beneficial to be online. However, there is no evidence that a website-only form of operation will be suitable for the business in terms of attracting vendors and buyers alike; and it is possible that vendors are attracted to SLSL because of the offices [see case study for where it talks about the design of the offices].”For L3, you might want to include some figures as it shows you’re using the information in the case material to make and justify a point, so “Getting rid of the high street presence might cause a significant loss for SLSL. In Table 4, there is a section that says “Other/No Data 2%/3%/9%”, and this could count for awareness derived from having a high street presence. If SLSL were to get rid of the offices, it is at risk of losing an estimated £34,329 in commission. This amount is very close to the business’ objective of a 4% increase in revenue (at £34,758), thus moving away from the high street will not be a financially suitable option for SLSL. Every strategic decision should work towards achieving a business’ objective, and this may prove to do the opposite, therefore it is not recommended that SLSL operates as a website-only agency.”

How did you get the loss of comission of £34329 figure??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending