The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scandinavian Studies

Scroll to see replies

I should point out that the first two years at UCL do count towards your degree (or at least they did in my degree which has just ended, maybe things have changed). However, the amount that each year counts in the final classification is weighted. The final year is much more important.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 1861
I think in SELCS at least it's 1 : 3: 5 : 5 or 1 : 3 : 3 : 5
Original post by Mumintroll
I should point out that the first two years at UCL do count towards your degree (or at least they did in my degree which has just ended, maybe things have changed). However, the amount that each year counts in the final classification is weighted. The final year is much more important.

Ah, thought so. :colone:

I duno if you missed my question two weeks ago? I wanted to know how you felt about being an older graduate? Do employers treat you differently? That's probably not the politest of things to ask but it worries me a lot. :frown:
Original post by Samual
Ah, thought so. :colone:

I duno if you missed my question two weeks ago? I wanted to know how you felt about being an older graduate? Do employers treat you differently? That's probably not the politest of things to ask but it worries me a lot. :frown:

I have really never had a problem or really even thought about it to be honest. If anything, it's possibly positive as I have pre-existing contacts from before studying. In reality, as I am not significantly older, it's probably of neutral effect.
Reply 1864
Original post by PJ991
I think in SELCS at least it's 1 : 3: 5 : 5 or 1 : 3 : 3 : 5

1:3:5:5
Original post by Meg_Lili
However I'm deferring for a year because of an internship placement

Glad to be done with degree #1? What is the internship? Any further thoughts on what/where you might study in a year?
UCL peeps, out of curiosity, do you know what's the rough split between the three languages?
Reply 1867
Original post by placebo24
UCL peeps, out of curiosity, do you know what's the rough split between the three languages?

In regards to what? Students?

Unless things have changed, then Swedish is usually most popular, with Danish least popular of the three. There have been years where this has been reversed, however.
Original post by Hylean
In regards to what? Students?

Unless things have changed, then Swedish is usually most popular, with Danish least popular of the three. There have been years where this has been reversed, however.

The average split in Edinburgh (for first year at least, then it's often all change) is normally Norwegians+Danes=Swedes. That is to say 50% swedes, 25% each for the other two.
Reply 1869
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
The average split in Edinburgh (for first year at least, then it's often all change) is normally Norwegians+Danes=Swedes. That is to say 50% swedes, 25% each for the other two.

Yea, I wouldn't even say that. There have been years where no one has wanted to do Danish at UCL, for instance. By the time I was in my final year, there were about 5-8 Swedish, 2-3 Norwegian, 2 Icelandic, 0 Danish at Degree-level language classes.

Unless things have changed, which they might have, as there was a little push to get people into Danish by forcing them into it pretty much, then Swedish usually out-gunned both Norwegian and Danish together. I reckon it's a little different now, though, but all my contacts in the department are long gone.
So apparently Christopher Abram and Margrethe Alexandroni are leaving the department? Eeeep I can't stop wondering whether any of the courses which I've been reading about for so long are even going to be available by the time I get there. Ugh.
Reply 1871
Original post by Samual
So apparently Christopher Abram and Margrethe Alexandroni are leaving the department? Eeeep I can't stop wondering whether any of the courses which I've been reading about for so long are even going to be available by the time I get there. Ugh.

Where did you hear Margrethe was leaving?
Original post by EMC1989
Where did you hear Margrethe was leaving?

Well it's a bit of an assumption on my part. It says here that a tutor has yet to be confirmed. And also I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a Norwegian tutor post being advertised some months ago. I could be wrong... I hope I am.
Reply 1873
Well it's a bit of an assumption on my part. It says here that a tutor has yet to be confirmed. And also I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a Norwegian tutor post being advertised some months ago. I could be wrong... I hope I am.

Ah I see...that is weird "/ but she is listed as teaching Intermediate Norwegian (SCAN2003) so maybe she just isn't teaching SCAN1003 this year?. I think for Swedish you get a different teacher in 2nd year than you do in 1st. I just spoke to my friend doing Norwegian and she hasn't heard anything about it so fear not, looks like she's here to stay for now!
Original post by EMC1989
Ah I see...that is weird "/ but she is listed as teaching Intermediate Norwegian (SCAN2003) so maybe she just isn't teaching SCAN1003 this year?. I think for Swedish you get a different teacher in 2nd year than you do in 1st. I just spoke to my friend doing Norwegian and she hasn't heard anything about it so fear not, looks like she's here to stay for now!

Oh good... :h: but I'm still a bit gutted about Chris Abram going. Pretty soon it's going to be all Danish cinema and nothing else! :mad:

So you're leaving SS for nursing?
Reply 1875
That was the plan, but I had an epiphany and decided to stay :wink: When are you planning to apply?
Oh really? I suppose you can still do nursing afterwards if you still want to. :smile:

I was going to start an access course in September and apply for the 2013 entry but everything has had to be deferred a year due to unforeseen problems. I won't be applying until next year now.
Reply 1877
That's a bummer :frown: but hey maybe the ridiculous £9,000 a year fees will be gone by then! I take it you're looking to do Norwegian?

I'm planning to do either nursing or midwifery in Denmark after this. I just decided UCL was too much of a good opportunity to throw away.

I joined UCL at 21 and found it to be an advantage that I was older and had a bit of life experience.
Reply 1878
Original post by Samual
Oh good... :h: but I'm still a bit gutted about Chris Abram going. Pretty soon it's going to be all Danish cinema and nothing else! :mad:

So you're leaving SS for nursing?

Nyah, for a while, that's pretty much all it was, even with Chris there. Danish subjects took over quite heavily at one point. Margrethe only teaches language, she doesn't do any other modules anyway. Since Marie Wells left, there hasn't been much taught about Norway except the language.

Original post by EMC1989

Unless things have changed, I'd be surprised if they got a different teacher in 2nd year in Swedish. But then again, maybe Annika is a lot busier these days.
Original post by EMC1989
That's a bummer :frown: but hey maybe the ridiculous £9,000 a year fees will be gone by then! I take it you're looking to do Norwegian?

I'm planning to do either nursing or midwifery in Denmark after this. I just decided UCL was too much of a good opportunity to throw away.

I joined UCL at 21 and found it to be an advantage that I was older and had a bit of life experience.

Yes Norwegian! So you do Danish? I got the impression Danish was the most unpopular of the three, is there much banter in the department between different language students? As for the age thing... the trouble is I don't have any life experience, I will be older but I won't have any nuggets of wisdom to compensate for it. All it will do is make me really boring in comparison. I like quiet nights in watching Holby City, I can't imagine that going down too well with UCL students. :emo::ahee:

Original post by Hylean
Nyah, for a while, that's pretty much all it was, even with Chris there. Danish subjects took over quite heavily at one point. Margrethe only teaches language, she doesn't do any other modules anyway. Since Marie Wells left, there hasn't been much taught about Norway except the language.

Awh that's sad, I hope it changes. How they just justify not having an Ibsen expert in a Scandinavian department is beyond me.

Quick Reply