The Student Room Group

BSMS Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by The Polar Dude
Thank you very much for typing this up, in that case, I may consider applying to bsms but not too sure yet

No worries. It's either i'm way too keen on bsms or have too much time on my hands. Either way i'm glad to help. Don't rush with making your decision. Play to your strengths. Not all med schools look for the same things so do some research and find out which ones will suit you best and apply there so as to not waste your options. Good luck.
Original post by laurie:)
sounds like good advice :biggrin:

which uni's really love the ukcat? i've tried finding out but they don't give much away on their websites

Hmmm well, Kings do, Barts used to but I'm not sure anymore to be honest, may have to look around because I have heard stuff about UCAS Tariff points now :erm: there is Sheffield (whose cut-off may be a bit high for your UKCAT), I think Nottingham like it to be high, Newcastle/Durham, HYMS give you extra points for a better UKCAT, and I think Glasgow and Manchester? use a cut-off too. I think a little search on the site will give you a good idea to be honest :h:
Reply 42
Original post by a moist feeling
Hmmm well, Kings do, Barts used to but I'm not sure anymore to be honest, may have to look around because I have heard stuff about UCAS Tariff points now :erm: there is Sheffield (whose cut-off may be a bit high for your UKCAT), I think Nottingham like it to be high, Newcastle/Durham, HYMS give you extra points for a better UKCAT, and I think Glasgow and Manchester? use a cut-off too. I think a little search on the site will give you a good idea to be honest :h:

king's is one of my favourites atm, so thats good :biggrin:

thanks for pointing them out to me, i'll look into them, maybe go to a few open days (tbh i was preparing myself for a bad score, so i was looking at ones that don't really look at it :redface: )
king's is one of my favourites atm, so thats good :biggrin:

thanks for pointing them out to me, i'll look into them, maybe go to a few open days (tbh i was preparing myself for a bad score, so i was looking at ones that don't really look at it :redface: )

Kings is a good uni and I got an interview there :h: but I didn't go to it because I had my offer from Barts and Barts is better than Kings :tongue:
Reply 44
Original post by a moist feeling
Kings is a good uni and I got an interview there :h: but I didn't go to it because I had my offer from Barts and Barts is better than Kings :tongue:

barts has an epic new hospital now, i've got to admit. it's GINORMOUS :biggrin:

but king's has the evelina children's hospital, and is 5 minutes away from where i live soooo :tongue:
Original post by belle-a
No worries. It's either i'm way too keen on bsms or have too much time on my hands. Either way i'm glad to help. Don't rush with making your decision. Play to your strengths. Not all med schools look for the same things so do some research and find out which ones will suit you best and apply there so as to not waste your options. Good luck.

:smile:

Thanks! And I will do the research after my ukcat is out of the way next week

Good luck to you too.
Reply 46
barts has an epic new hospital now, i've got to admit. it's GINORMOUS :biggrin:

but king's has the evelina children's hospital, and is 5 minutes away from where i live soooo :tongue:

Alright you and moisty boy need to go find the barts and kings applicants thread. This is bsms. You are raiding on our parade. :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by belle-a
Alright you and moisty boy need to go find the barts and kings applicants thread. This is bsms. You are raiding on our parade. :smile:

sorryyyyyyy :tongue:
Hey guys was just wondering if anyone could tell me if I stand a good chance at BSMS with this application..

GCSE's- 7 A*s, 2 A's and 2 B's
AS grades- AAAA (Bio,Chem,Maths&Economics)
A2 Predictions- Hoping for AAA or A*AA

UKCAT- Total 2570 Average a poor 642.5 :frown:

In terms of work experience and voluntary work I believe I have enough, and hopefully my personal statement along with my reference should be good.. do I have a realistic chance of getting an interview? Also if anyone could point out what else BSMS are specifically looking for, I have read both their prospectus and website but can't seem to find anything strikingly obvious.. Thanks!
Reply 49
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
What?

Did you apply for deferred entry or something? :hmmmm:

Average of 600 could be worse :yep:

if you take a look at what info was offered to us by applicants last year: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Applicants_Stalking_Page_2011_Entry#Brighton_and_Sussex you can see that a user named stephen88 managed to get an interview with an average of 595 :h:
Unfortunately not everyone got back to me so the info's missing in places :sadnod:

That's great, I got 595 average in UKCAt and thought I wouldn't be able to apply for BSMS. So I think I might still apply, as I really like what I've read about the place. Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 50
Original post by AmbitiousMedic
Hey guys was just wondering if anyone could tell me if I stand a good chance at BSMS with this application..

GCSE's- 7 A*s, 2 A's and 2 B's
AS grades- AAAA (Bio,Chem,Maths&Economics)
A2 Predictions- Hoping for AAA or A*AA

UKCAT- Total 2570 Average a poor 642.5 :frown:

In terms of work experience and voluntary work I believe I have enough, and hopefully my personal statement along with my reference should be good.. do I have a realistic chance of getting an interview? Also if anyone could point out what else BSMS are specifically looking for, I have read both their prospectus and website but can't seem to find anything strikingly obvious.. Thanks!

Academically, I think you know you must be very competitive. That should be okay. When it comes to work experience, i think you should focus on highlighting what you have learnt and making sure that they are in sync with what med schools look for: teamwork, communication, empathy...
They don't really state anything extraordinary about their requirements but i think you should just make sure to sell yourself in your personal statement as much as possible. Aside that, welcome aboard!!!

Reply 51
Original post by manderson
That's great, I got 595 average in UKCAt and thought I wouldn't be able to apply for BSMS. So I think I might still apply, as I really like what I've read about the place. Thanks :biggrin:

As long as you do well in all the others you should be okay. They only use the UKCAT when they have to choose between two very similar applicants. My advice is that you try and stand out with your ps and reference as much as possible. Good luck. :smile:
Original post by belle-a
Academically, I think you know you must be very competitive. That should be okay. When it comes to work experience, i think you should focus on highlighting what you have learnt and making sure that they are in sync with what med schools look for: teamwork, communication, empathy...
They don't really state anything extraordinary about their requirements but i think you should just make sure to sell yourself in your personal statement as much as possible. Aside that, welcome aboard!!!

To be honest with you I was most worried about my UKCAT score.. if you ask me the whole UKCAT is a bit of mystery. I know there are applicants each year that have lower scores and are still successful and vice versa! Yep I have tried to reflect on all my work experience and voluntary work and somehow linked it to the development of the skills you have mentioned and some others.. Hopefully it all goes well.. Thanks for taking your time out to reply :rolleyes:
Reply 53
Original post by belle-a
As long as you do well in all the others you should be okay. They only use the UKCAT when they have to choose between two very similar applicants. My advice is that you try and stand out with your ps and reference as much as possible. Good luck. :smile:

Aww thank you! I hope my ps stands out and my reference! :rolleyes:
Reply 54
Thinking of Applying to Brighton and Sussex Medical School?

Come here and discuss.

Add your name to the roll call below! chat,discuss,support and meet each other one day. Maybe dissect a cadaver with em.

Username Agent Smirnoff
Course Medicine(A100)
GCSE (or equivalent) AABBBBCCE
AS Levels Biology,Chemistry,Physics,English Lang/Lit
A2 Levels TBA
International Student? No
Reapplicant/Transfer Applicant/First Time Applicant? First Time Applicant

Good Luck :hi:

Username belle-a
Course Medicine(A100)
GCSE (or equivalent) A*A*A*A*AAAAAAAAA
AS Levels Maths A,chemistry A,biology A,physics A
A2 Levels Maths A, chemistry A, Physics A, biology A
International Student? No
Reapplicant/Transfer Applicant/First Time Applicant? not sure :smile: ( But Agent Smiroff thinks First-Timer)

I wouldn't mind applying her but it is a fairly new medical school so i'm not too sure :s-smilie:
Do they have good resources/staff etc
Reply 56
Original post by The Polar Dude
I wouldn't mind applying her but it is a fairly new medical school so i'm not too sure :s-smilie:
Do they have good resources/staff etc

I don't think you should worry about that. All medical schools need to satisfy the GMC requirements of ensuring that they are providing the standard for their students. I suppose if you are looking for a uni with a longer standing rep then BSMS is not the right place but if you are worried about resources then i think you shouldn't. What i like about it the most is the fact that it does dissection which could be something to consider.

My thinking is that the newer it is the better the resources. :smile:
Original post by belle-a
I don't think you should worry about that. All medical schools need to satisfy the GMC requirements of ensuring that they are providing the standard for their students. I suppose if you are looking for a uni with a longer standing rep then BSMS is not the right place but if you are worried about resources then i think you shouldn't. What i like about it the most is the fact that it does dissection which could be something to consider.

My thinking is that the newer it is the better the resources. :smile:

Alright thanks, well as my 4th option; it's either this or hyms
Does anyone know whether my AS grades ABBB would put me at a disadvantage if I apply to BSMS? I think my predictions should be AAA because my Bs were only off by a few marks and i'm retaking.

But I have no idea whether BSMS use AS grades to determine who to select for interview, a little help would be much appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 59
Original post by tania<3
Does anyone know whether my AS grades ABBB would put me at a disadvantage if I apply to BSMS? I think my predictions should be AAA because my Bs were only off by a few marks and i'm retaking.

But I have no idea whether BSMS use AS grades to determine who to select for interview, a little help would be much appreciated :biggrin:

I think you should look at their website or contact their admissions office to ask. But if you are on AAA for A-Level, then it may not be a problem. Good Luck :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending