The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2011-2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by angel_night
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Writing-Your-Dissertation-Bestselling-First-Class/dp/185703662X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315931024&sr=8-1
This is the one that I bought :smile: It sounds like its goodish, so hopefully it will be useful and ease the panic!

Hehe, I don't think it sounded ignorant :smile: Mm, my lecturers have said when they have stayed in monasteries the food has been pretty good that the lay people have made. Some monasteries the monks/nuns cook for themselves now, and thats generally good. Though I think one place, my lecturer said the food was awful lol.

Ooh I'll look into that! Thanks :smile: I can always re-sell books later so I'm not that bothered about buying too many or anything but having my room filled with far too many books is rather daunting (unless they're fiction, of course :ninja:)

Haha I think it probably does vary a bit. My dad reckons it's because they tend to cook from the heart so it tastes better :biggrin: That doesn't explain my junk food obsession though...I'm sure they're not really cooking from the heart at all times :tongue:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Writing-Your-Dissertation-Bestselling-First-Class/dp/185703662X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315931024&sr=8-1
This is the one that I bought :smile: It sounds like its goodish, so hopefully it will be useful and ease the panic!

I have that book. I don't think it's the best in the world, especially not for humanities. The Palgrave series is much better in my opinion. And you get more for your money too!
Reply 42
Original post by SilGathien
I have that book. I don't think it's the best in the world, especially not for humanities. The Palgrave series is much better in my opinion. And you get more for your money too!

Damn, I bought the Writing Your Dissertation one... I'll have to look up the Palgrave one because I do English as well :smile:

Is it this one?

:biggrin:
Original post by Joinedup
Cool, I'm doing something a bit similar (I think) on glow-worms... Except with a focus on land management / habitat factors and I'm not going to be doing anything genetic (would be an interesting area for further research though as they're in isolated colonies these days). My interest started when I learned that a colony near my home
had died out, though they're a lot less cute than squirrels (in the eyes of many) rangers and wildlife trusts etc do run glow-worm spotting evenings over the glowing season so there's a hint of justification for investigating them.
Supervisor seems very enthusiastic about it but I just seen to be finding problem after problem, e.g. estimating
the size of a population will require a novel method I think giving me problems showing validity. I went out glowworm hunting over the summer and found a few new (previously unrecorded) populations.
Like you I need to get an A out of it really.

My justification is to loosely tie in the squirrel pox virus via evolutionary divergence between the species so it would be great to have it published but its unlikely still it could be used for research in future.

That sounds a really interesting project and you could continue it further with genetic variations or more ecology based work.

Ooo you could get some information with the unrecorded populations which would be very useful.

I got that book its really good actually very informative
Reply 45
Original post by Sapphire_Eyes
My justification is to loosely tie in the squirrel pox virus via evolutionary divergence between the species so it would be great to have it published but its unlikely still it could be used for research in future.

That sounds a really interesting project and you could continue it further with genetic variations or more ecology based work.

Ooo you could get some information with the unrecorded populations which would be very useful.

Thanks, I've not done anything in the field that I can use yet cos I hadn't got the ethics approval. I'm fortunate that my sites are also Sssi's so there'll be detailed management plans... Which I really should have been getting hold
of over the summer. :rolleyes:

Just noticed which uni you're at, you didn't just take a book out by L Scott Mills did you? (just got a recall on the copy I had out - not stalking) If so small world indeed :-)
Original post by amizzle91
Damn, I bought the Writing Your Dissertation one... I'll have to look up the Palgrave one because I do English as well :smile:

Is it this one?

:biggrin:

Yup, it's that one. Got the Guide to Undergraduate Research too. I went through a slight book buying spree (regular occurrence :wink: ) a few months back when I had to write a proposal haha.
Reply 47
Original post by SilGathien
Yup, it's that one. Got the Guide to Undergraduate Research too. I went through a slight book buying spree (regular occurrence :wink: ) a few months back when I had to write a proposal haha.

Thank you! I'll have to get that one now lol :biggrin:
Reply 48
History of Art dissertation here, 13-15,000 words and 4,000 due in December. Absolutely bricking it, it counts for 50% of my final year's grade! My topic will be on everday objects in pop and dadaist art :smile:
Original post by Joinedup
Thanks, I've not done anything in the field that I can use yet cos I hadn't got the ethics approval. I'm fortunate that my sites are also Sssi's so there'll be detailed management plans... Which I really should have been getting hold
of over the summer. :rolleyes:

Just noticed which uni you're at, you didn't just take a book out by L Scott Mills did you? (just got a recall on the copy I had out - not stalking) If so small world indeed :-)

Lol what is the title of the book? I may have in the summer whilst revising for exams in invert bio/animal beh or genetics based (had tons out over summer, love genetics my mates think im mad lol)

tut tut crack on and get the plans shouldn't take too long I would of thought. I'm currently with my aunt and cousin as she is giving me an opportunity to do work experience where she is head of a department so someone who works for head department is supervising me and giving me help.

Not done much on IS so far but I want my plans finished for this week just layout of sections and to have finished sequencing everything so i'm hard pressed but gives me whole next week to do another module and finish draft copy.

And when I start back the first two weeks I can draft up something for my progress report and start on courseworks for my taught modules by finding journals and getting it started with.
Reply 50
Eeek so glad someone made this!!
Reply 51
Original post by Kaykiie

Hey, another English student :biggrin: Have you decided on your topic yet? :smile:
Reply 52
Original post by Kaykiie

You can pay me back in chocolate :colone:

:ninja:
Reply 53

Hey, another English student :biggrin: Have you decided on your topic yet? :smile:

Something about the differing attitudes towards prescriptivism from linguists and non linguists... :s-smilie:

Have to have a meeting with my lecturer about it because he wants to discuss the ethical issues etc... Can't do that until 4th October though when we have our first dissertation meeting :frown:

I ended up buying the dissertation guide you recommended before checking your post on my dissertation guide thread so I'm pleased that others are buying it too!

Are you English Literature?

Round up for thread purposes:

English Language Dissertation
10,000 words
Prescriptivism attitudes topic
Nervous
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by aeterno
You can pay me back in chocolate :colone:

:ninja:

:sogood:

What kind? I completed a Tesco online shop earlier and bought some dark chocolate :colone:
Reply 55
Original post by Kaykiie
Something about the differing attitudes towards prescriptivism from linguists and non linguists... :s-smilie:

Have to have a meeting with my lecturer about it because he wants to discuss the ethical issues etc... Can't do that until 4th October though when we have our first dissertation meeting :frown:

I ended up buying the dissertation guide you recommended before checking your post on my dissertation guide thread so I'm pleased that others are buying it too!

Are you English Literature?

Oh yeah, that sounds interesting. I know prescriptivism can be treasured by a lot of people, I prefer descriptivism myself :p:

I do just 'English' so it's a bit of both. I'm doing a literature based dissertation though :smile:
Reply 56

Oh yeah, that sounds interesting. I know prescriptivism can be treasured by a lot of people, I prefer descriptivism myself :p:

I do just 'English' so it's a bit of both. I'm doing a literature based dissertation though :smile:

Me too :colone: I'm really interested in the arguments people put forward for prescriptivism though, mostly to find counter arguments :holmes:

Ahh ok, do you prefer literature then?
Reply 57
Original post by Kaykiie
:sogood:

What kind? I completed a Tesco online shop earlier and bought some dark chocolate :colone:

Get me some Milka and I'm happy :colone:

I don't like dark chocolate :sad:
Reply 58
Original post by aeterno

Original post by aeterno
Get me some Milka and I'm happy :colone:

I don't like dark chocolate :sad:

mmm Milka with bits of Daim :love:
Reply 59
Original post by Kaykiie
Me too :colone: I'm really interested in the arguments people put forward for prescriptivism though, mostly to find counter arguments :holmes:

Ahh ok, do you prefer literature then?

Yeah mostly, I do like language, especially language change though. I find it so interesting how words become obsolete and others change their meanings.

Quick Reply

Latest