The Student Room Group

5 AS levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zactissue
Well, if we look at all possibilities, OP might get AAAA in maths, further maths, physics, chemistry.. and an A* in computing.
If he got an offer from Ox to do CompSci and if he just had maths, f maths, physics, chemistry, he wouldn't have met his offer.
Who knows? extra Computing might be useful in the future

I will be reasonably polite, stop being idiotic.
Read the OP's post.
It would appear that he doesn't want to do 5 subjects.
It is not worth doing 5 subjects.
No-one cares if you do 5 subjects.
The weakest link in his list is Computing.
No course requires computing.
Yes, of course it is a valid A-level.
No course requires computing. Get it?
Now the reality is that you have no idea of the work load involved in doing 5 A-levels, because you haven't reached that stage yet, so you are commenting on something that you know absolutely nothing about.

OP drop the comp. Sci.
/end.
I'm a really lazy person but I survived with 5. In fact, it's made me become a harder worker. But A2 somehow just feels different, like no matter how many frees you get, they're just not enough. Will be dropping further maths after Jan, I wouldn't consider doing 4 or 5 to A2 unless you did really well in all of them but ASs will be fine.
Reply 22
Original post by McNicholl
This is madness. Nothing but Medicine asks for 4 AS levels, 5 is just out of the question.

Actually, an awful lot of universities ask for 3 A2 and a further pass at AS.

Edit: I assure you that they do, mysterious neg-repper :ninja:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by fudgesundae
We have 40 40 minutes lessons in a week. I had 9 for Maths + FM. 7 each for Biology, Chemistry, German and Economics. 2 for General Studies and Critical Thinking combined. Then 2 free periods.

Just realised that's 8 :tongue:. Although General studies and critical thinking don't count that much.

I got bored with doing 4.

lol im guessing your family is German right?? so you only done 5 1/2 really?? but still pretty good
Reply 24
Original post by H.C. Chinaski
Erm, no, quite correct.

Let me Explain ....
The OP is doing
Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Computing
I said drop computing, well by my reckoning that leaves him with
Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics .

Do I need to explain further??

Well you come across as rude......., and you wrote 'There is not a single course that the inclusion of computing will give you any kind of advantage for.' and the person who quoted you quite rightly pointed out very friendly that that isn't true with the quote that they gave!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Read the OP's post.
Now the reality is that you have no idea of the work load involved in doing 5 A-levels, because you haven't reached that stage yet, so you are commenting on something that you know absolutely nothing about.

OP drop the comp. Sci.
/end.

I always thought that some University's didn't count Further Maths as a fourth AS which could restrict the OP to certain unis if they were to drop Computing. I may be wrong however, just I remember my school mentioning this quite a few times last year.
Reply 26
I do that many, plus an enrichment, and do extra curricular and have a job; its crazy, but if youre organised, you'll manage!
Reply 27
Original post by kerily
Actually, an awful lot of universities ask for 3 A2 and a further pass at AS.

must be some dodgy course and some dodgy university??
I'm doing the same-ish; biology, chemistry, maths, computing and geography.
Pretty sure i'm looking into dropping computing though, as i've realised its basically pointless for what i want to do in the future and i only picked it because i was having a bit of a flap about what i actually wanted to do in the future. :P
Math and Further Math => Math (As long as you you are good and interested enough to consider studying Math, Physics, Engineering, than this shouldn't be a problem for you. Otherwise you will learn the FM stuff in one or two weeks at University.)

Some internationals will also (have to) do 5 or even more A Levels, because 3.5 aren't allways accepted in foreign countries. (And they have to fight with the language in addition.)

Just try it and be aware that A Levels are not the most difficult exams you will take in your "academic career", but rather the opposite.

On the other side: Don't be to stubborn to realise if you aren't able to cope and ruin (you probabaly won't , but it can happen to everybody) your application.

Good luck!
Reply 30
Original post by tehmonkey
I always thought that some University's didn't count Further Maths as a fourth AS which could restrict the OP to certain unis if they were to drop Computing. I may be wrong however, just I remember my school mentioning this quite a few times last year.

wrong with maths futher maths and the sciences the OP could do pretty much any course
Reply 31
Read the OP's post.

OP drop the comp. Sci.
/end.

You are soo rude and nasty!
Original post by meatzaper
lol im guessing your family is German right?? so you only done 5 1/2 really?? but still pretty good

Nope, not German, just did it a year early. Why 5 and half lol? Maths, FM, Bio, Chem, German, Economics, General, Critical Thinking is 6 proper subjects plus 2 'half subjects'.
Reply 33
Original post by eb786
i just started college and chose to do 5 AS's in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Computing. is that too much? im more of a relaxed student but i do get good grades if i try. i dont want to be overloaded with work. will this be too much? and i feel very tired after only 2 weeks in college. advice??:confused:

yep its definaltey possible..as long your willing to put the hard wokr in :biggrin: afterall i can tell from my own experiance :colone:
Original post by LauraMxx
Well you come across as rude......., and you wrote 'There is not a single course that the inclusion of computing will give you any kind of advantage for.' and the person who quoted you quite rightly pointed out very friendly that that isn't true with the quote that they gave!

He pointed no such thing out.
It does not give you any advantage.
The fact that it is listed amongst subjects in which one may score an A* is absolutely immaterial.
The simple fact of the matter is that you clearly do not understand the word advantage. Look it up.
Original post by tehmonkey

(i) Further maths is a perfectly valid 4th AS-level (or 3rd A-level for that matter ... medicine excluded)
(ii) There are several courses that you have not got a high hope in hell of getting accepted onto unless you have Further Maths.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by LauraMxx
You are soo rude and nasty!

Yes, yes ... you said that 14 minutes prior to this latest gem.
Thanks for adding something new.
Oxford University
Do I need to have done Computer Studies or Information Technology at A level?
No. Though these subjects are relevant, the way Computer Science is studied at University level is quite different from the way it is studied at school.

Also relevant are the A level Maths modules in Discrete Maths or Decision Maths; but again, the way we study these topics at University level goes far beyond what you will have done at school, so it's no particular advantage to have done these modules. On the other hand, if the sort of questions raised by these topics excite your interest, then perhaps Computer Science is the subject for you.

Do I need Further Maths?
As explained in the open day talks, Computing is a mathematical subject, especially in the way we approach it at Oxford. So you will need to know some mathematics, and more importantly, to have developed your ability in mathematical thinking. We think doing both Maths and Further Maths to A2 is the best way of doing this

http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/ugrad/Frequently_asked_questions#Do_I_need_to_have_done_Computer_Studies_or_Information_Technology_at_A_level.3F

best subjects for said Degree:

Maths , Further Maths + A.N.Other ** Physics

as I said right at the beginning of this nonsense C.S. A level does not give you any advantage ..... Further Maths on the other Hand...
(edited 12 years ago)

(i) Universities are not going to ask for a fourth A-level in the first place.
(ii) Further maths is a perfectly valid 4th A-level (or 3rd A-level for that matter ... medicine excluded)
(iii) There are several courses that you have not got a high hope in hell of getting accepted onto unless you have Further Maths.

If he can cope, then it shouldn't stop him from doing five. Maybe he enjoys all 5 and can perform equally well in all of them. I don't understand why you're discouraging it when it's not even that difficult to do. He can carry them on for now, doing 5 gives him the option of dropping any one he wants later on when he gets a better idea of each course, and another when he goes on to A2 if he wishes.
It is interesting to note that, in my opinion only ... and perhaps for reasons of bias, the finest University in the UK has poor old computing down as a List C subject ...... perhaps I wasn't strong enough !!!! It could be seen as a disadvantage!
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Quick Reply

Latest