Visit website

Durham Offers/Rejection Thread

Scroll to see replies

You have good chances, just hang on!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Just received the least informative feedback from Durham ever. I can't say I really care anymore given my current offer situation though :cool:
Reply 182
GCSEs: 6A* 3A 1B

AS results: AAAB

Predicted A2: A*AA (+ AS in further maths)

Offer Date: 05/01/2012

Course Titles: Mechanical Engineering MEng and General Engineering BEng

Conditional + conditional grades /Unconditional: Conditional AAA and AAB

College: Josephine Butler prefered (waiting for letter)

Firm/Insurance/Withdrawing offers? Firming the MEng and the BEng will be my insurance as I have my heart set on Durham :colondollar:
Original post by Barrack Obama

Hey has anyone got Combined Honours in Arts offers yet.. Getting Nervous I have 4 A* , 3 A's a B and a C at Gcse but 5 A's at AS and am predicted 2A* and 2 A's at at A2. What do you reckon my chances are? (also applying St Andrews)

I got a Combined Honours in Social Sciences offer if that's of any use..
I got it on something like the 17th of December I think (can't really remember). But I know 2 people who applied for my course and 1 more for yours who haven't heard yet, so I wouldn't worry. I also sent off my app on the 13th Oct.
Reply 184
Original post by TheCookieduck
I applied to University College :smile: You?

A few have gotten offers according to this link:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Durham_2012_Applicants_Stalking_Page

I think both are just doing things very slowly, like picking out the ones they want definitely for single degrees and giving out those offers, then waiting till the January deadline to do the rest of the offers, including joint honours....??

It is really frustrating! Lol. I'm thinking if i haven't heard anything now, I'm not gonna here anything till after the January deadline so gotta just wait some more :rolleyes:

I know that there is a few people who have gotten joint honours already, so that's probably not quite the case.
However I'm sure you'll hear back soon enough. =]
Original post by 67sunsets
I know that there is a few people who have gotten joint honours already, so that's probably not quite the case.
However I'm sure you'll hear back soon enough. =]

mhm, just speculating :smile: thanks, hopefully I do. Good luck to you too!
Original post by TheButcherBoii
I got my offer like 10minutes ago haha so that reminds me I should go and do some revision :biggrin: haha anyway, good luck to you, hopefully il see u there next year :smile:

yeah hopefully! :smile: and well done!!
Reply 187
Original post by LeSacMagique
Just received the least informative feedback from Durham ever. I can't say I really care anymore given my current offer situation though :cool:

I think they have a thing against people applying before Oct 15th... I also got rejection from Durham- but an offer from Cambridge :smile:
Original post by snaptwig

I think they have a thing against people applying before Oct 15th... I also got rejection from Durham- but an offer from Cambridge :smile:

I don't think they really do have a thing against the oct 15th applicants - I applied on oct 13th and got an offer :smile: and an offer from cambridge - snap! :wink:

People say this every year but it's just not true. Why would Durham want to reject all the Oxford and Cambridge applicants and risk losing the majority who don't get it? Durham aren't alone in rejecting people who eventually get offers from oxbridge. I know several people who are now at Oxford or Cambridge but were rejected from Bristol, UCL and Durham. These universities simply select based on different criteria. Durham doesn't interview for a wide range of subjects and puts a much stronger emphasis on attributes shown in personal statements and references. Oxford and Cambridge are looking for things that often don't show up on paper so have a strong emphasis on interview performance.

People also say that Durham is full of Oxbridge rejects. This is true of all the top universities (logically, where else would you go if you were rejected?) and it's true of most of the people I have met at Durham. This couldn't be true if Durham discriminated against Oxbridge applicants.

It should also be remembered that some universities get huge numbers of applicants and, with the best will in the world, have ways of sifting out applicants that are quite frankly a bit random.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TheCookieduck
yeah hopefully! :smile: and well done!!

Did u hear anything from them?! :smile:

I doubt it. I think it's just because, really, my application on paper won't have looked nearly as strong as that of plenty of other English applicants. At Cambridge exam results are, I think, actually less important than at Durham because of the extra ways in which they evaluate applications.
Reply 192
Hey has anyone got Combined Honours in Arts offers yet.. Getting Nervous I have 4 A* , 3 A's a B and a C at Gcse but 5 A's at AS and am predicted 2A* and 2 A's at at A2. What do you reckon my chances are? (also applying St Andrews)

I have an offer for combined honours in arts! Got it on the 19th of December. Predicted the same as you, got AAAB at AS Level and 8A*s and 2As at GCSEs...
Kl thanks (and well done!) When did you send off your application?
Reply 194
Kl thanks (and well done!) When did you send off your application?

something like the 12th of october! you?
Ahh I sent mine off on the 20th of November lol. But it still feels like they're tacking an age to reply!! Hopefully sometime soon after the 15th of December
Ahh didn't send mine off till November 20th, but it still feels like they're tacking an age to reply!! Hopefully I'll hear back sometime soon after Jan 15th!
Reply 197
Ahh didn't send mine off till November 20th, but it still feels like they're tacking an age to reply!! Hopefully I'll hear back sometime soon after Jan 15th!

Also applied for CH in Arts and got offer through on UCAS yesterday, hopefully you'll hear back soon!
Well done! When did you apply?
Reply 199
how long do you think-after the deadline- people will start getting offers for psychology?
tired of waiting!

Quick Reply

Latest