The Student Room Group

The 2012 STEP Results Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by maths134
Thanks, you to!! Now just have to make it :smile:. Can't wait for feb aha

same.....im just glad to have got a 1,1 offer.....alot of kids got SS offers from Trinity :/ thats totally messed up :eek:

I hope 4 months is enough....I'm busy revising for my January exams :colondollar: it will make the alevel part of my offer very easy to achieve in june :tongue:
Original post by Rahul.S
same.....im just glad to have got a 1,1 offer.....alot of kids got SS offers from Trinity :/ thats totally messed up :eek:

I hope 4 months is enough....I'm busy revising for my January exams :colondollar: it will make the alevel part of my offer very easy to achieve in june :tongue:

Long time no see :wink:

(Warwick recommend 4 months, though that's probably STEP I - if you put a lot of effort in it should be fine :smile:)

EDIT: oh and it's 5 months - end of January to end of June :tongue:
Reply 82
Original post by Rahul.S

Yeh that so harsh. Tbh 4-5 months should be enough,or so I'm told... Lol. Well the other guys say that's fine!
Original post by deejayy
When you first open the step paper on the day, what is the strategy for picking questions to do? Are we supposed to read through all the questions quickly and then judge the difficulty of the questions?

UNTIL you run out of time

DO { Pick a nice question;
Solve it
}

Once you've done a lot of questions you develop a feel for the kind you like. And you learn how long to persist for before you abandon. I recommend you don't spend ages choosing six. Get that first one under your belt.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by Xero Xenith
Long time no see :wink:

(Warwick recommend 4 months, though that's probably STEP I - if you put a lot of effort in it should be fine :smile:)

EDIT: oh and it's 5 months - end of January to end of June :tongue:

I know extricated passed on the message....but well done on your offer....especially on the step requirement! :tongue:

that was on their site right? there are plenty kids out there that manage to get what they need in step in 4-5 months........20th and 27th june will be live :cool:

I will be doing solely STEP for the first 4 months....june will be for my exams :firehead: banking on good january exams :colone:
Reply 85
Yeh that so harsh. Tbh 4-5 months should be enough,or so I'm told... Lol. Well the other guys say that's fine!

it is.....I think its important to sort out our strategies before I start step preperation....ive decided im going to do pure and mechanics....and bits of stats......I don't know how many papers I should do :eek: soo many to do....I reckon 10-15 is enough :tongue:
Reply 86
Original post by Rahul.S
it is.....I think its important to sort out our strategies before I start step preperation....ive decided im going to do pure and mechanics....and bits of stats......I don't know how many papers I should do :eek: soo many to do....I reckon 10-15 is enough :tongue:

I'm sticking to pure. I already know I lean towards calculus questions more than anything else :tongue:
Reply 87
I'm sticking to pure. I already know I lean towards calculus questions more than anything else :tongue:

There is usually quite a lot of calculas questions on step....sounds like a good strategy....but do have a plan b ready :colone:
Reply 88
I'm guessing most of us on here are against the AEA prep? :sad:
Reply 89
Original post by Rahul.S
There is usually quite a lot of calculas questions on step....sounds like a good strategy....but do have a plan b ready :colone:

Yeh I mean the only questions I hate are sequences questions, they are often easy :/ I just hate them and get rly confused lol
Reply 90
Original post by Ree69
I'm guessing most of us on here are against the AEA prep? :sad:

I only noted no because I found the aea papers really easy. I've been doing them this week in place of c3/c4 revision lol.
I could check the spec... :tongue:

AQA FP1 - pretty much all on STEP (no Newton-Raphson; no matrices)
AQA FP2 - most, nothing on surface of revolution
AQA FP3 - pretty much all on STEP (not sure about polar coordinates it's on STEP!)
AQA FP4 - lots on matrices is on STEP no it isn't!, but no eigenvectors etc, no cross product or 3D geometry beyond C4. (so none on STEP)

Take it with a grain of salt - check the specifications yourself if you wanna be more sure :smile:

Thanks for taking your time to look this stuff up (though I certainly will check out specifics myself when I get started) :smile:

I've done AQA FP1, FP2 and FP3 (taking 2 and 3 this january) so I should have nothing holding me back from doing well in STEP other than my own ability.

Bring it. :colone:
Reply 92
How does AEA compare to STEP I?
Reply 93
Yeh I mean the only questions I hate are sequences questions, they are often easy :/ I just hate them and get rly confused lol

I did a few for interview preparation......lets just say there are other appealing topics :tongue:
When everybody says that they will have 4-5 months to prepare for STEP, what exactly do they mean by prepare ?
Are you just going to have a look through the Silkos Booklets and do past papers or are you going to do anything else as well.
Also, for STEP 1,2 and 3 which stats modules must one know. I have done s1 and s2 will that be enough for STEP 2 ? I am guessing STEP 3 requires a bit more.
Original post by joshgoldman
How does AEA compare to STEP I?

AEA is much more similar to A-level Maths in style of questions. It's entirely Pure, unlike STEP which has Applied. However, all AEA questions are mandatory and the grade boundaries are harsher. Fudging the final bazillion-mark question on an AEA paper can cost you a Distinction.

Are you asking because of a Warwick 2 / Distinction offer? I'd say try an AEA paper or two, if you can get Distinctions reliably that may be worth a look, but a 2 in STEP I is definitely doable.

(Assuming you're talking about the Warwick offer:smile: Why not prepare for both, do both, then you have two chances at getting in? :smile:

Here's an AEA Megapack - just has all past papers, markschemes and reports, plus specification and formula book. I have the grade boundaries somewhere too... edit: they're below

http://www.mediafire.com/?n2suv2828hngr8l

Grade Boundaries

Spoiler

Original post by الجبر
When everybody says that they will have 4-5 months to prepare for STEP, what exactly do they mean by prepare ?
Are you just going to have a look through the Silkos Booklets and do past papers or are you going to do anything else as well.
Also, for STEP 1,2 and 3 which stats modules must one know. I have done s1 and s2 will that be enough for STEP 2 ? I am guessing STEP 3 requires a bit more.

My strategy was to start with the Silkos booklet "AVPI Core Mathematics", do 5-10 questions from around the start, then print off one past paper for each STEP and do questions from those. :smile:

S1-2 should be OK for STEP I and II. The Stats requirements for STEP III are weird - there's bits and bobs from all modules up to S4 on OCR, but there's a lot on those modules that you really don't need!
(edited 12 years ago)
AEA is much more similar to A-level Maths in style of questions. It's entirely Pure, unlike STEP which has Applied. However, all AEA questions are mandatory and the grade boundaries are harsher. Fudging the final bazillion-mark question on an AEA paper can cost you a Distinction.

Are you asking because of a Warwick 2 / Distinction offer? I'd say try an AEA paper or two, if you can get Distinctions reliably that may be worth a look, but a 2 in STEP I is definitely doable.

(Assuming you're talking about the Warwick offer:smile: Why not prepare for both, do both, then you have two chances at getting in? :smile:

Here's an AEA Megapack - just has all past papers, markschemes and reports, plus specification and formula book. I have the grade boundaries somewhere too... edit: they're below

http://www.mediafire.com/?n2suv2828hngr8l

Grade Boundaries

Spoiler

My strategy was to start with the Silkos booklet "AVPI Core Mathematics", do 5-10 questions from around the start, then print off one past paper for each STEP and do questions from those. :smile:

S1-2 should be OK for STEP I and II. The Stats requirements for STEP III are weird - there's bits and bobs from all modules up to S4 on OCR, but there's a lot on those modules that you really don't need!

Thnx, so what do you think about spending 40-60 mins daily on one past question for 4 months ? Not enough ?
Reply 97
x

Thanks for your help! If I get the Warwick offer for MORSE, it would only be a Merit in AEA, or a 2 in STEP. I might actually try doing both, for the hell of it!
Original post by الجبر
Thnx, so what do you think about spending 40-60 mins daily on one past question for 4 months ? Not enough ?

I think it really depends on how long it takes before you start getting many questions right, and how fast you can do them. Not sure what the average is, but I'd love to know this as well!

Previous years' STEP-ers: how long did you spend on it per week when you were preparing? :smile:
Original post by joshgoldman
Thanks for your help! If I get the Warwick offer for MORSE, it would only be a Merit in AEA, or a 2 in STEP. I might actually try doing both, for the hell of it!

Ah, the Merit is (I think) significantly easier than the 2 in STEP, even STEP I. However, STEP is far better preparation for university maths.

Up to you :smile: if you have time, then do both by all means!

Quick Reply

Latest