The Student Room Group

7% of the Britsih population is privately educated, but they get 60% of the TOP jobs.

Scroll to see replies

Good to know you get what you pay for!

7% of the country are privately educated. they get 60% of top jobs, considering there are not that many top jobs, I think that is ... expected.... just me? lol
Original post by SophiaKeuning

TSR is so pissing me off today.

Get of it then? :wink:
Reply 142
The term is independent schools not private. The people who think we are spoon fed grades are wrong, the reason some of us achieve highly is because some of us are motivated and not everybody does quite frankly.
But you can't be poor. A few minority of those at private schools come from poor backgrounds.

Or do you not know what poor is? Because you seem to be skipping around in your happy fluffy self-righteous world.

TSR is so pissing me off today.

That's like saying poor people are entitled to having higher quality and more expensive cars, even though they can't afford them.

What I'm saying is, you don't need to be rich snob to go to a private school. I go to a private school and most of the people here are middle-class. Poorer people are still entitled to an education and they get that. If they want more then the only option is tutoring or some kind of bursary/scholarship. At the end of the day, private schools are not funded by the government and need to fund themselves using the necessary student fees. People pay for higher quality, simple supply and demand. Education is a service and in the private sector, it is not subsidised.

Now quit moaning, you don't need to go to a private school to get a top job. With the correct grades, you can get into the right uni and onto the right course to achieve whatever you want. It's just that there is a higher chance of achieving those grades at a private school because students are more motivated rather than solely because of higher quality teachers. I've been to both state and private schools and this is the largest factor, even if there are smaller classes.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 144
Well, Im privately educated but I would never wish for anyone to be put at a disadvantage, but may I say one thing? In my school, they really do drill it into your head the importance or good grades, and so do my parents because they want me to sustain the standard of living that i currently (my mum went to the worst state school in peterborough and my dad was educated in Pakistan, which isn't renowned for its great education system, so they only want the best for my brother and I.) And I didn't get into uni, i would probably feel as though my life was completely over (I know this sounds extreme!)

In my school half the time I feel like spoilt brat to be honest, the most amount of people in any one of my classes is 15 i think and the lowest is about 5, which means the teachers of have enough to pay attention to any problems.

I do not know what is done in other schools but I believe this helps a lot.

I am never going to think or allow any one to think that my parents pay for my education to get me an automatic place at Oxford or Cambridge(though an automatic place would be a dream!)

I don't think that 60% of the jobs given to privately educated students is because of the fact they were privately educated, more they are given things not always available to others for example again smaller classes.
Original post by The Doggfather
That's like saying poor people are entitled to having higher quality and more expensive cars, even though they can't afford them.

What I'm saying is, you don't need to be rich snob to go to a private school. I go to a private school and most of the people here are middle-class. Poorer people are still entitled to an education and they get that. If they want more then the only option is tutoring or some kind of bursary/scholarship. At the end of the day, private schools are not funded by the government and need to fund themselves using the necessary student fees. People pay for higher quality, simple supply and demand. Education is a service and in the private sector, it is not subsidised.

Now quit moaning, you don't need to go to a private school to get a top job. With the correct grades, you can get into the right uni and onto the right course to achieve whatever you want. It's just that there is a higher chance of achieving those grades at a private school because students are more motivated rather than solely because of higher quality teachers. I've been to both state and private schools and this is the largest factor, even if there are smaller classes.

Oh wow. Wow.
F***ing hell.
Where do I start.

I don't think I'll bother.

One can't reason with fools. :h:
Oh wow. Wow.
F***ing hell.
Where do I start.

sign of weakness
Reply 147
Sounds correct and, at the threat of being negged, fair.

Someone walks into a top restaurant and pays £100 for a meal. Someone walks into McDonalds. Who is going to get the best meal? People get all up tight about education, but it is how the world works.

I got a scholarship to a private school, and I'm sure many others have too. So the best jobs generally go to the most intelligent and/or the best educated? Why is this is an issue?
It makes sense to me that employers take on the best person for the job; a better education means you're more likely to be better at the highly-paid, well-respected, 'top' jobs. And, in most circumstances, private education is a more fulfilling education academically (I expect).

I went to a state school, come from a working class background and have no problem with these statistics. Competition in the working world is always going to be intense, regardless of how 'unfair' you think it is that you might not have had the same opportunities.
Reply 149
Original post by thegaffer91
Hasn't anyone thought that there may be a genetic influence here?

If people are rich, chances are it is because they are very clever. If not clever, then have some talent, like sport or music. Even if you don't agree that these people should be paid highly, the people who consume their services do, and it would be horrendous for the public sector to meddle in private sector wages (although this is another debate altogether).

Of all the very rich people in the world, not many don't deserve it. This is often passed down through their genes to their children and grandchildren, meaning they are also very intelligent people. Going to a private school simply enhances this natural intelligence, allowing them to use it to the full potential. Even if they didn't get the best education (except maybe if they were in one of the worst schools in the country), many of them would probably still make it into one of these top jobs. Surely it is better to try to move the standard of the worst off upwards rather than prevent those at the top from getting too far ahead of the others?

I don't understand why people are so against the private schools. People may see this as the 1% screwing everyone over again by getting a better education than us, but think of it in this way. These are the people who contribute by far the most to tax revenue, which pay for schools, hospitals, benefits and welfare etc. However, if they are privately educated and go to a private doctor, they use far far less in government resources than the average person, and the difference is even more astonishing when you consider how much more they provide to the public purse than the average person.

There is never any genetic limitations to a person, as genes and personalities can change with the environment. YES your DNA changes as a result of the decisions you make, people have proved this.

The obvious thing here is that people who are from high-class backgrounds are born there and are raised with the aspirations of a high-class person. Someone born into the bottom end of the working class are disadvantaged from the go not from their genes but their environment. Anyone can achieve their full potential, just someone who's jobless and an alcoholic at 19 doesn't have the same mindset or ambition, because they don't know what's out there and aren't encouraged to find out.

That's why when I see someone sat doing nothing on the street, I feel sorry. Consumerism doesn't help; I feel especially bad If I walk past a council house that's falling apart and see an xbox and huge plasma screen TV.

Most people are "happy" with these things and so don't strive to achieve a top job, why would they want to?

I find it sad :frown:
Oh wow. Wow.
F***ing hell.
Where do I start.

Please go on. Or do you only have debates with people who already share the same view as you?

Original post by BusinessJ
Someone walks into a top restaurant and pays £100 for a meal. Someone walks into McDonalds. Who is going to get the best meal? People get all up tight about education, but it is how the world works.

While I don't agree with the thrust of your point, this example is kinda different because meals are all to do with personal taste. One man's gourmet is another man's 'meh'.
Reply 151
Original post by atheistwithfaith
Please go on. Or do you only have debates with people who already share the same view as you?

While I don't agree with the thrust of your point, this example is kinda different because meals are all to do with personal taste. One man's gourmet is another man's 'meh'.

ok, but suppose each person was having their meal and then applying to become a restaurant connoisseur, it would be normal for the person who has paid for a better product to be given the job.
Stop blaming private schools. Thank god somewhere can actually teach people and enforce some kind of discipline.

Blame government run state schools.

With resources like the Khan Academy the argument that you failed because you were poor is becoming increasingly redundant. If you want to learn you can in this day and age. I went to a Grammar school but I can tell you that the Khan Academy wipes the floor with it.
Reply 153
Original post by Samdude
There is never any genetic limitations to a person, as genes and personalities can change with the environment. YES your DNA changes as a result of the decisions you make, people have proved this.

Sorry, what? Care to provide some references that 'prove' that DNA changes?

The expression of genes may be switched on or off by external factors, but we can't change which genes we do or don't have.

If you're talking about Lamarkian inheritance that is a long way from prove, and in any case would not be widely applicable.

We're clearly limited by genetics to an extent. I am never going to break the world record for the 100 m, however hard I train.
Original post by atheistwithfaith

Are you saying you've never said a point and then couldn't be bothered to go on and on about it? I always debate with people who disagree with me on here, just this particular topic, though I do feel strongly about it, doesn't actually interest me. So replying to quotes with my points would be a drag. Bleh.
Original post by Dragonfly07
Not that I support his mad ramblings which obviously stem out of jealousy than anything else, but I don't think private schools should exist for one simple reasons: education shouldn't cost money. Instead, aim to improve all public sector schools to the highest possible standards.

It has nothing to do with rich or poor but with opportunities (the reason I highlighted the word opportunities is because some people might have the absurd idea that people who go to private schools are smarter/deserve better education. With the same opportunities, the people who really are smarter will go to the top regardless), because I am fully aware that you don't have to be a millionaire to attend a private sector school. However, your parents are the ones who decide which school you attend. I'm a person who firmly believes that parents' decisions shouldn't affect the children's future.

I don't understand why two out of four people don't support equal opportunities.
Reply 156
I don't understand why two out of four people don't support equal opportunities.

People probably take issue (me included) with your ridiculous notion that private schools should be abolished.
Original post by Hackett
People probably take issue (me included) with your ridiculous notion that private schools should be abolished.

I gave proper reasons for my opinions though. The fact that I received negs instead of responses explaining why they disagree makes me think that they don't actually have a reason.
Reply 158
I gave proper reasons for my opinions though. The fact that I received negs instead of responses explaining why they disagree makes me think that they don't actually have a reason.

Not trying to be rude or disregarding or anything but it is very naive to think that by having the best grades you will "make it to the top" It takes alot more than that to be succesful at life.
Original post by thegaffer91
Hasn't anyone thought that there may be a genetic influence here?

If people are rich, chances are it is because they are very clever. If not clever, then have some talent, like sport or music.

Perhaps but I wouldn't look at it on the whole, I'd look at specific industries and sectors. While at university I learned of how disproportionately represented women are working for the judiciary. I then looked up the schooling backgrounds of the Supreme Court and found not one of them have attended a secondary modern (the comprehensive's predecessor). While I was able to find lots of scholarly articles on women's poor representation in the judiciary, I found very little concerning schooling backgrounds. Perhaps the class divide is less obvious to some?

Interesting you mention sport. I hear a lot of people questioning players' wages, despite being paid by a private company, while it's only recently that bankers' salaries have been in the spotlight, with many banks being part owned by the state. I suppose people get jealous that working class men can get rich by playing professional football. The only issue I have with footballers' wages is an issue of sustainability and the corporatisation of the sport to the detriment of season ticket holders who get priced out of games. It's partly why I've lost interest in the sport over here. At least in Spain I'd be able to afford a match.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending